• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

What the....

Joaquin Phoenix Now Said To Be In "Final Talks" To Play DOCTOR STRANGE

------------------

According to Collider, he should sign the contract with the studio any day now and the reason it's taken so long (reports of him boarding the Scott Derrickson helmed project surfaced over a month ago) is because of his desire to have the freedom to continue starring in movies outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with filmmakers like Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze (his roles in The Master and Her earned him serious awards attention).

------------------

I guess the other candidates were bargaining chips and backups if he pushed it too hard, or decided to pull out.

What the....

Joaquin Phoenix Now Said To Be In "Final Talks" To Play DOCTOR STRANGE

------------------

According to Collider, he should sign the contract with the studio any day now and the reason it's taken so long (reports of him boarding the Scott Derrickson helmed project surfaced over a month ago) is because of his desire to have the freedom to continue starring in movies outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with filmmakers like Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze (his roles in The Master and Her earned him serious awards attention).

------------------

I guess the other candidates were bargaining chips and backups if he pushed it too hard, or decided to pull out.

It's really not too much for him to ask either. He has so much talent and just because Marvel/Disney is family oriented, that shouldn't stop him from being able to do more mature themed films.

I think Joaquin Phoenix is a solid choice for the role.

He's grown steadily as an actor over the last 20 years, and has deserved the acclaim he received for films as diverse as Gladiator, Walk the Line, The Master and Her.

Dude's come a long way since To Die For.

Details On Why Joaquin Phoenix May Be Reluctant To Play DOCTOR STRANGE For Marvel

---------------------

"[The] problems that have kept the deal from closing remain, and they go beyond the basic fact that Phoenix is balking at the heavy multi-picture contract: Joaquin Phoenix literally doesn't know if he can work on this kind of movie. He's a great actor, and he can play the role. But the Marvel Studios blockbuster machine is full of pre-viz and fight-viz and green screen and massive reshoots. It's not a world that's as comfortable for him, and he's just not certain he can do it." It all now comes down to whether or not Kevin Feige can convince Phoenix to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and many of us speculated that these exact reasons could play a role in whether or not he signs on the dotted line.

---------------------

I first thought Phoenix would be a bad choice, but came around.

Although I hated him in Gladiator, He was great as Johnny Cash and pretty good in "Her". They could do much worse, and at least he's a well known name that wouldn't be an embarrassment to the role.

Joaquin could be great, but can he pull off the look. I see Dr Strange as ruggedly handsome so Joaquin would need to grow out his facial hair but be very neat about it. Regardless, this is just more proof to me that while Marvel can have iffy casting decisions, they're not atrocious like DC. I mean I don't think I'll ever get over the Wonder Woman decision, it was depressing.

Details On Why Joaquin Phoenix May Be Reluctant To Play DOCTOR STRANGE For Marvel

---------------------

"[The] problems that have kept the deal from closing remain, and they go beyond the basic fact that Phoenix is balking at the heavy multi-picture contract: Joaquin Phoenix literally doesn't know if he can work on this kind of movie. He's a great actor, and he can play the role. But the Marvel Studios blockbuster machine is full of pre-viz and fight-viz and green screen and massive reshoots. It's not a world that's as comfortable for him, and he's just not certain he can do it." It all now comes down to whether or not Kevin Feige can convince Phoenix to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and many of us speculated that these exact reasons could play a role in whether or not he signs on the dotted line.

---------------------

While he can act and can easily play this role , I'm not sure he's the type of actor that would be comfortable in this type of environment (many movies, green screen, comic con etc)

I think marvel needs to look elsewhere

A 5 foot 5 Dr. Strange no thatnks

I'm 5'5' hm

Height is not an issue in the movies, it can easily be cheated. But I have a hard time visualizing Radcliffe as DS for any other number of reasons.

Ugh. Some terrible choices. I'll put in a vote for me 20 years ago.

Just spray on some grey on the sides and voila! And I'm 6'3". No need for camera tricks to adjust for height.

Actually, I'm only in my early 40's. No pattern baldness. And I have the grey temples. I'm still 15 years younger than Day-Lewis and only a few older than Joaquin.

I would seriously sorcerer supreme the HELL out of that part.

14913918950_122e03fb49_o.jpg

Edited by Firespitter

Also, Jack Huston is not a bad pick either. If you've seen Boardwalk Empire you know he can be creepy as hell (I think the Doctor should have that in his bag of tricks) and all he would need to pull off the look is a haircut.

gq0aoh9zj5orre1dkn27.jpg

In that image, DS kind of looks like Timothy Dalton. Just sayin'

Ug... there's talk of Al Pacino... yeah, he was great in the godfather movies, but, as dr. strange? I'm not seeing it... Maybe as the ancient one, but not the doc. Thankfully, this just looks like speculation. I still think cumberbatch is the best choice.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1464311/doctor-strange-could-al-pacino-benefit-from-joaquins-hesitance/

Ug... there's talk of Al Pacino... yeah, he was great in the godfather movies, but, as dr. strange? I'm not seeing it... Maybe as the ancient one, but not the doc. Thankfully, this just looks like speculation. I still think cumberbatch is the best choice.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1464311/doctor-strange-could-al-pacino-benefit-from-joaquins-hesitance/

Just one guy talking about, nothing newsworthy.

YkuL7X.gif