• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

It gets interesting when you think about it... Are we all "replicants". Deckard's job was to retire the ones that were "in the know". Gaff pretty much gives it away in his last sentence

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

This leads to many religious and political sentiments, which I wont get into over here, but as I said.. This movie can be perceived in so many ways.

Edited by Aweandlorder

So what`s the better of these two?

Director`s Cut or Final Cut?

Final Cut is considered the best from all the reviews I have read.

I will watch it tonight. I will be back tomorrow with the review.

I have only seen the narrative one with Harrison Ford. I love that version.

I hope I like the Final Cut like that. :wishluck:

There's no bad version, just better versions.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

Just like Batty needed to die, so does the thought of this sequel.

I'm colossally bored with remakes, prequels and sequels that, well...

SUCK!

:P

lol I forgot this thread was about the sequel. :sick:

Yes.

lol I forgot this thread was about the sequel. :sick:

Don't let that get in your way of having a great discussion about the original movie. And who knows. Maybe the sequel will do it justice. Time will tell.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

Just like Batty needed to die, so does the thought of this sequel.

I'm colossally bored with remakes, prequels and sequels that, well...

SUCK!

:P

Agreed. I can't imagine how this could be good. It doesn't really require a sequel, the original stands on it's own just fine.

I watched it last night. First of all, it is indeed still a phenomenal film, no question. Beautifully shot, beautifully lit, perfectly paced, excellent mood, well fleshed out characters with interesting but not obscure motivations, etc. etc. etc.

There isn't actually a "missing" replicant. We're told that there were six in Roy group originally...two died in the initial attack on Tyrell, and we see the deaths of the other four over the course of the film. I do remember thinking, for years, and after repeat watchings, that there was a missing replicant, but at least in this version there is not. Perhaps it was originally one that died in the first attack on Tyrell, and they changed it to two? But that seems like an odd thing to do, so who knows?

One could assume that it's a lie told to Deckard that two died in the original attack, but there's nothing to suggest this. Just as easy to assume there were originally seven, and Deckard is that seventh. Easier to believe he's just another replicant, not part of Roy's group. On the flip side, Roy does know Deckard's name at the end, with no obvious means of learning it. But that's pretty thin, and there are other "coincidences" in this movie that should be overlooked as "Movie Magic."

Just finished the Final Cut version. Well worth watching!

- Very sharp images

- Audio is greatly improved, including some of the dialogue that was always difficult to understand. You hear loads of the city chatter that before was muffled.

- I like how Scott inserted the 'Deckard's Dream' scene while Deckard is in-and-out of thought over Leon's photos. Which then leads to the question.

Deckard finds one of Gaff's origami unicorns sitting in the hallway. Yet Deckard never told him about his dream. So how could this not be a hint Deckard was experiencing a false memory?

IIRC Scott has gone on record saying that Deckard is a replicant and Ford has gone on record saying he wasn't. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly.

I watched it last night. First of all, it is indeed still a phenomenal film, no question. Beautifully shot, beautifully lit, perfectly paced, excellent mood, well fleshed out characters with interesting but not obscure motivations, etc. etc. etc.

There isn't actually a "missing" replicant. We're told that there were six in Roy group originally...two died in the initial attack on Tyrell, and we see the deaths of the other four over the course of the film. I do remember thinking, for years, and after repeat watchings, that there was a missing replicant, but at least in this version there is not. Perhaps it was originally one that died in the first attack on Tyrell, and they changed it to two? But that seems like an odd thing to do, so who knows?

One could assume that it's a lie told to Deckard that two died in the original attack, but there's nothing to suggest this. Just as easy to assume there were originally seven, and Deckard is that seventh. Easier to believe he's just another replicant, not part of Roy's group. On the flip side, Roy does know Deckard's name at the end, with no obvious means of learning it. But that's pretty thin, and there are other "coincidences" in this movie that should be overlooked as "Movie Magic."

Just finished the Final Cut version. Well worth watching!

- Very sharp images

- Audio is greatly improved, including some of the dialogue that was always difficult to understand. You hear loads of the city chatter that before was muffled.

- I like how Scott inserted the 'Deckard's Dream' scene while Deckard is in-and-out of thought over Leon's photos. Which then leads to the question.

Deckard finds one of Gaff's origami unicorns sitting in the hallway. Yet Deckard never told him about his dream. So how could this not be a hint Deckard was experiencing a false memory?

It's so nice to be discussing a movie I can really get behind. None of that Avengers fluff! :banana:

Where'd you get the Final Cut?

I have the 4-disc Collector's Edition that contains four versions of the movie (2007 Final Cut, 1992 Director's Cut, 1982 Theatrical Cut, 1982 International Theatrical Cut). I may go ahead over a week and watch each to see what the differences are.

Someone had a DVD sale six to seven months back. Grabbed this midway through the sale, and was surprised it wasn't gone already. I just never got around to watching it sooner.

:blush:

Thanks Ridley Scott for giving me a reason.

:whee:

Agreed. I watched it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. There are no bad versions.

One thing why that this sequel talk is good is because it creates new interest. The last time I watched Blade Runner was years ago. I bought the Final Cut and let it sit unopened for almost 6 years. This sequel talk got me interested in the franchise again, and now I can`t wait for the sequel. (thumbs u

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Agreed. I watched it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. There are no bad versions.

One thing why that this sequel talk is good is because it creates new interest. The last time I watched Blade Runner was years ago. I bought the Final Cut and let it sit unopened for almost 6 years. This sequel talk got me interested in the franchise again, and now I can`t wait for the sequel. (thumbs u

:applause:

That's what happened with me. Though I didn't wait 6 years.

:baiting:

:applause:

That's what happened with me. Though I didn't wait 6 years.

:baiting:

I do that a lot. I have stacks of comic book trade paperbacks and DVD/Blu-rays I have to look at it. lol

Now I agree with everything you say. :)

If the Final Cut is in the Playstation Store, then I'll pick it up for download.

Final Cut should come with the 'Making of' featurette. Worth it!

I am watching it now:

- Dustin Hoffman was actually confirmed as Deckard, and storyboards already had him included in the sketches.

- Nina Axelrod was supposed to be Rachael. Someone ran into Sean Young, and the change was made.

- There was a fifth replicant (Mary). The writers' strike killed this part.

Get it!