• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,275 posts in this topic

I've never read Tillie, but Tessie (as well as most of the other Timely titles) is pretty good. The real problem with My Friend Irma (and later My Girl Pearl) is that the only joke is that Irma is amazingly stupid. And it's repeated over and over and over and...you get the idea. The other Timely titles are much more readable.

I love your Patsy Walker #1! It's one of my favorites too. The 1940's issues are especially good since they are less PC. Patsy and Hedy could both be pretty catty and cruel in the early issue.

I have grown to like the Irma stories. They are mainly based on the one joke premise that Irma is dumb but there are often funny twists where Irma comes out on top and everyone's not quite sure she's as dumb as she acts.

I do agree that the Marvel/Atlas/Timely teen comics are overall pretty good reading. Even though they are considered "teen" titles, Mille, Tessie, Nellie, Hedy, Irma, Rusty, and Lana are all young adults rather than teens so their stories often differ from the usual teen books.

Here are some recent additions:

Krazy #1 with a Tessie looking character who's not Tessie.

Krazy-V2-1a-t_zpscc843521.jpg

Krazy #2 with the real Tessie:

Krazy-V2-2a-t_zps9207d0a6.jpg

A great Margie cover, which I'm pretty certain is by Dan DeCarlo:

Margie-49a-t_zps45088e8d.jpg

And finally, Showgirls:

Showgirls-4a-Feb57-t_zps0020856f.jpg

This thread started in 2005 and back then, it introduced me to all the great "other than Archie" teen titles; especially those from Timely/Marvel/Atlas.

I can't help but think it's introduced a lot of collectors to these books based on sales results like this Cindy 37

This thread started in 2005 and back then, it introduced me to all the great "other than Archie" teen titles; especially those from Timely/Marvel/Atlas.

I can't help but think it's introduced a lot of collectors to these books based on sales results like this Cindy 37

It was indeed purchased by a boardie.