• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Detached Staple Notation

25 posts in this topic

After seeing a few interesting things, I just wanted to make sure I have this correct.

Both staples detached: Always noted as cover detached on label.

One staple detached: Not noted on low/mid grade blue label, noted on high grade green label?

What is the highest graded blue label with a detached staple?

Finally, why not note a detached staple on blue labels that have one? It can obviously be tough sometimes to notice it on a scan. Tape is always noted so shouldn't this be too?

Bump.

Both staples detached: Always noted as cover detached on label.

One staple detached: Not noted on low/mid grade blue label, noted on high grade green label?

What is the highest graded blue label with a detached staple?

Can anyone answer this?

Not really. These are questions for CGC. I had similar questions about rusty staples that remain unanswered. I will mention that a staple can be detached from one of either the FC or BC and still be attached to the other. In this circumstance I believe you can get a blue label though it is a flaw and will be detracted from the grade.

A detached cover typically grades no higher than a 3.0, but a single detached staple depends more on the overall condition of the rest of the book, so there is no clear rule as to how high it can go in a blue label - it varies.

What is the highest you have seen, DivaD? 6.5-7.0?

A detached cover typically grades no higher than a 3.0, but a single detached staple depends more on the overall condition of the rest of the book, so there is no clear rule as to how high it can go in a blue label - it varies.

I don't recall offhand. And, as the OP states, I don't believe the notation is consistent on blue labels. I think we need to hear from those who have submitted and requested a Blue label.

Not in response to your question, but I have a 9.2 Green label (Marvel Spotlight #1) that has a nice clean staple pop. It is noted on the label.

I don't recall offhand. And, as the OP states, I don't believe the notation is consistent on blue labels. I think we need to hear from those who have submitted and requested a Blue label.

Not in response to your question, but I have a 9.2 Green label (Marvel Spotlight #1) that has a nice clean staple pop. It is noted on the label.

Highest I have seen is a 7.5. I have seen 9.6's that were qualified.

What I'm curious about is if a book that otherwise looks 3.0- to 4.0-ish and has a single popped staple, on a blue label, does CGC put a notation on the blue label such as "TOP STAPLE PULLED" ??

I don't think so because I haven't seen such a notation on blue label low-grade or lower grade books, because a single popped staple doesn't worsen a book that already looks 3.0- to 4.0-ish.

But I would be curious if others have seen that notation in such circumstances.

What I'm curious about is if a book that otherwise looks 3.0- to 4.0-ish and has a single popped staple, on a blue label, does CGC put a notation on the blue label such as "TOP STAPLE PULLED" ??

No. :)

What would a book with 1 staple , and only ever had 1 staple ? get ... no staple on bottom , no holes from a staple ... not removed just never there. Blue label ( missing Staple Note ) ?

Green label/qualified grade.

(tsk) Its a blue. Books manufactured with one staple get blue. No label note. Edited by Junkdrawer

What would a book with 1 staple , and only ever had 1 staple ? get ... no staple on bottom , no holes from a staple ... not removed just never there. Blue label ( missing Staple Note ) ?

(tsk) Its a blue. Books manufactured with one staple get blue. No label note.

I called them on this exact scenario earlier today, JD. I posted the answer I was given.

I called them on this exact scenario earlier today, JD. I posted the answer I was given.

My Cindy 37 is a Universal 4.5 manufactured with just 1 staple. There are no holes were a staple was removed. Its got no label notes. I never paid for graders notes. Its possible they mention it.

Ive always know that during times of war, comic books were often manufactured with just a single staple. This isn't an extremely rare situation. Did you talk to a grader?

correct Blue no notation

My Cindy 37 is a Universal 4.5 manufactured with just 1 staple. There are no holes were a staple was removed. Its got no label notes. I never paid for graders notes. Its possible they mention it.

Ive always know that during times of war, comic books were often manufactured with just a single staple. This isn't an extremely rare situation. Did you talk to a grader?

Here's the book in question. Epic Illustrated #1. Thought it had a decent shot at 9.8 until I noticed the staple was excluded so I made the call. I hope you gentlemen are correct (thumbs u

152496.jpg.88d443fa0aec611fbc0d8e2337c637f8.jpg

152497.jpg.6207d7fbe92eef8fd0d98e1f59794d61.jpg

Well I just have one example, but I bet topnotchman has seen hundreds. Send it.

Yes, both you guys know your stuff, but Topnotch is the man. I'm waiting on another magazine I just bought to arrive and I will send them in together. I will advise on label color and grade once they are received.