• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

I had a card collecting epiphany around 1992. I'd been pecking away since 1980 at reassembling the cards and coins I'd either had or just admired but missed out on as a kid.

baseballcards2.jpg

BaseballCards-1.jpg

baseballcards.jpg

CFLCards.jpg

HockeyCards-1.jpg

SpaceCards-1.jpg

WackyPlaksCards.jpg

AYoullDieLaughing-1.jpg

FunnyValentineCards.jpg

FunnyValentines.jpg

FunnyValentineWrappers.jpg

SpookStories.jpg

CivilWar-1.jpg

MarsAttacks.jpg

OuterLimitsCards.jpg

Funnyfoldingcards.jpg

SuperHeroCards.jpg

TerrorTales2.jpg

Hockeycoins.jpg

I was so busy going after the cards I really liked that were issued from about the mid-fifties to the late-sixties that I hadn't made any effort to stay current with any of the hockey cards issued after 1972-73 though. My thinking was to just fill in the more recent stuff at some future date. It was plentiful enough that I figured it wouldn't present much of a problem when I finally got around to it.

But with the explosion in cards in general and sportscards in particular that occurred after 1990, I came to the realization that I could never have everything. It was then that I decided to take another leaf from the book I had as a kid. I'd collect only the hockey cards I liked! There was no reason to even go after something from every year.

I had four or five sets from the late seventies and early eighties that were still in bricks. I'd never bothered to unwrap them from their cellophane wrap and put them into sheets. When I asked myself why, the answer was clear. I didn't care for the cards. One of the reasons was that I had no nostalgia for these cards since I didn't remember them from the schoolyard. But then again the 1971-72 O-Pee-Chee cards also came out well after my time yet I really liked them. I realized that beginning in the 1973-74 year a fundamental change occurred in hockey cards. They'd gone from a player's picture superimposed on some type of art background to photographed action shots! Well I didn't like the action shots. They weren't like the hockey cards I collected as a kid.

Accordingly, I took the four or five bricks to Sports Connection on Eglinton Avenue in Toronto and sold them for a good price. One of the bricks was the 1979-80 Wayne Gretzky rookie card set although the Wayne Gretzky card was so badly cut that it could hardly be classified as even VG. Ironically I'd bought all the bricks some twelve years previously at Comics Unlimited on Keewatin Strret before they moved to Eglinton Avenue and became Sports Connection!

Moreover I didn't have to concern myself with filling in the 1969-70 O-Pee-Chee set which I thought was plain ugly either. I just took the dozen or so 1969-70 hockey cards I had out of their sheets and put them with my traders.

But if I didn't have to collect any hockey cards I didn't like, I was still free to collect any I actually liked. But I could use a rifle shot approach on certain subsets and insert sets. I didn't necessarily have to collect all the other cards in that set if I considered them to be cruddy looking. If I bought one card from some certain subset though, I had to collect all the others in that subset. I've always considered going after only certain players like some fanboy to be too much like being a groupie. It's cards I collect, not hockey players.

The 1993-94 Fleer Ultra Wave of the Future inserts may have been the first post-1990 hockey cards I added to my collection. Over the years I've amassed three binders of hockey cards from the nineties that appeal to me. Included in these are complete sets of the Leaf Limited and Fleer Metal cards, and almost all the 1997-98 Skybox Metal Universe minus the half dozen Super Powers inserts I still don't have. These all have gaudy enough backgrounds of artwork to strongly appeal to me.

It was back in 2004 that I stumbled upon what's become the main thrust of my modern hockey card collecting efforts. I was delighted to see Pacific issuing a set of cards for the AHL in 2004. Imagine that, players who aren't paid $millions and actually play hockey as opposed to striking for higher wages! While looking to fill in the last few Gold Parallels and Jersey cards from this Pacific AHL set at a Hamilton Bulldogs game at the Copps Coliseum, I chanced upon a 2003-04 Titanium Patch Ryan Miller card. It was the one below with a portion of a white number against red backing:

03-12-201175034PM.jpg

I was enthralled by the card! I hesitated about a minute before buying it though because I knew by buying the one card I'd be opening a real can of worms. After all, I'd need to buy all the others in the set and even defining what constituted a set would be a problem. Well I've been accumulating whatever different 2003-04 Titanium cards I can find at "reasonable" prices for the last nine years. Here's a scan of a sheet of some of the more limited Parallels from my collection:

27-05-201371628PM_zps78340463.jpg

Then I decided the 2003-04 Black Diamond cards were cool enough looking to collect as well. But each of the 198 cards in the set also have Green, Red and Clarity Parallels and the Clarity Parallels are serial numbered to only ten! I've accumulated only a dozen of the Clarities but I have dozens of the Green and Red Parallels:

27-05-201371606PM_zps59e96165.jpg

27-05-201371601PM_zps7dbfd319.jpg

Then of course there's the Jersey cards.... I'll never finish the "set", but the fun they say is in the chase....

Nonetheless, I've filled five binders full of these 21st century hockey card sets.

Nor have I put aside my vintage card collecting either. I'm still pecking away at upgrading the last few hockey cards I want from the 1957 to 1965 period and driving myself crazy doing so. The 1964-65 Tall Boys have been a bit of a problem. So have the 1963-64 York Peanut Butter cards. I like the backs to be a bright white!

And of course the Chex cards, Weekend Magazine photos and Bee Hives still beckon.... I love them all!

:)

got these two books a few years ago at a thrift sale. found out a retired spanish teacher was going to the old folks home.

long story short, met a dude on comicspriceguide.com forums that had just started a new job as a language teacher at a private university. i sent him these for free as readers for the classroom. I'd like to consider that a solid for the retired teacher who just lost her freedom, even though she never knew.

Image71.jpg

Image63.jpg

Edited by ForlornOutcast

Someone FINALLY put together a instrumental version of Mos Def's "Twilite Speedball"

You may all know it as the music used in that commercial for the Cosmopolitan in Vegas.