• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

I started collecting raw comics a couple years ago from ebay and then joined CGC so i can work on some graded sets and maybe the boardies will sell some comics i need someday, when i first started posting on these boards i had some advice for beginners as i have been an eclectic collector for many years, but i found out my advice was not welcome, the regular chat boards members do not want new members giving out any helpful advice to beginners only their opinion counts i have learned.

b85kn.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Mine is an interesting story. I had purchased a few CGC slabs off a seller on eBay that lived in the next town over from me. We arranged to pick up the books at his warehouse. After chatting for a few moments he asked if I would pull books and get them ready for CGC submissions. This was around early 2005. The first night I went in to pull boxes of books my jaw dropped and hit the floor. He had 3,300 long boxes of book in a huge warehouse.

I went through longbox after longbox of books and realized it would take me years to get through the stuff. In addition to the books going to CGC I went the usual e-bay route but hated dealing with the mess e-bay had become. I did some research on CGC and saw they had a forum. I lurked for almost 8 months before joining. My first post was a sales thread. Oldguy at the time thought I was someone else and gave me a typical board welcome.

I stuck it out that first month, sold thousands of dollar books to board members and have been here 8 years now. Never worried about making 9 years, but the times they are a changing.

You've been reading too many Billy Mumphrey stories and eating too many macadamia nuts

I had been stalking Buzz for years and tracked him here

I want to laugh this off but in reality I just checked to make sure the door was double locked.

I had been stalking Buzz for years and tracked him here

I want to laugh this off but in reality I just checked to make sure the door was double locked.

:hi: See ya Buzz, sorry someone else ended up wearing your face

Hey hey, I've been lurking for a while. Been doing this collecting thing like a solo title for a years now it's time to play team. CROSSOVER style. Anyway just love talking comics and hearing ppls opinion on the state of our sport.

I started collecting raw comics a couple years ago from ebay and then joined CGC so i can work on some graded sets and maybe the boardies will sell some comics i need someday, when i first started posting on these boards i had some advice for beginners as i have been an eclectic collector for many years, but i found out my advice was not welcome, the regular chat boards members do not want new members giving out any helpful advice to beginners only their opinion counts i have learned.

b85kn.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

:roflmao:

It's kind of weird, but back in '04 after buying one of my first CGC graded books I decided to search CGC to find more info about them.

I came across these boards and this is my first and only chat boards I've ever joined and been active on.

Even though there have been some wild events (some that I'm proud of / some I regret) in this decade plus of being here I've met and befriended some of the best people ever here.

Hats off to the CGC Boards and more importantly Hats off the fine people that make this place what it is.

(thumbs u

I collected when I was a teen and sold off my collection when I graduated highschool back in '83. Had a pretty good stockpile of BA gems too (i.e. WBN 32, GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, Conan 1, etc..). About 2500 comics in all. Ironically, I wounded up working in a comic shop for over a year right after that before leaving for the Marines in '85. Pretty much thought I'd put comics behind me at that time.

About four years ago, I really got into Batman Arkham Asylum. The game just blew me away. It was then that I decided I wanted to capture a very small piece of my childhood. Batman 232 was one favorites back in the day. I grew up reading and loving the O'Neil/Adams run in the early '70s and I remember having a real beaut of a copy.

Anyway, I set out to only buy one comic, a high grade Bats 232. I picked up a 9.4 with OW/W pages. Next thing I knew, I wounded up buying all the Adams Bats and other Bats from that time frame too. All the early Conans came later as I was a big sword and sorcery fan back in the day as well. Luckily, I have a fairly tolerant wife.

I collected when I was younger then got into baseball cards,

Then I got into. The walking dead tv show , and I was in new York at a concert and went to midtown to check it out and saw cgc graded books. Then I bought a walking dead 28 off eBay that was cgced and decided to do a little more reasrch, bought me here and looked around and liked it

Have always loved comics since I could read but left the hobby in my mid teens as I chose to live with relatives in a country that wasn't English speaking. Nowadays that doesn't matter so much but back then there wasn't a public internet that everyone was using and when the internet did first find its way into the homes of people who were lucky enough to have someone in the family who was a techie... well it looked a lot different back then.

Returned to collecting again in my 20's but then monetary priorities and the amount of free time you have quickly change when you start setting up a home and eventually start your own family.

Years went by and now I am back in the fold again. I have been a techie and online for a long time so messageboards are much more familiar to me than other forms of social media and I was looking for a place full of jerks who could teach me how to scalp comics so here I am.

Calamerica was threatening to get Stu banned from eBay (this was on the eBay chatboard) so I came here to ...chastise talk to Cal (this is before Stu was banned)...I had enough keeping up with one board and I didn't know anyone here (and Cal was here;) so I left...then GACollectibles (who I knew from the eBay boards) kept sending me links to BangZoom's GA Collection thread...once I looked at one of the links I was totally hooked and I've been around here ever since;)

So,it's totally Andrew's fault, and I blame him;)

This is the kind of 'partial" disclosure that has kept the War alive without the deserved clear-cut winner. There is one who is right, and another who is just plain-out wrong.

Sky, can you further elaborate from YOUR post:

1) why was CAL trying to get Stu banned on eBay?

2) who do YOU think is right or wrong and WHY: either CAL or Stu and be honest?

3) Why was this post originated? Really.

Calamerica was threatening to get Stu banned from eBay (this was on the eBay chatboard) so I came here to ...chastise talk to Cal (this is before Stu was banned)...I had enough keeping up with one board and I didn't know anyone here (and Cal was here;) so I left...then GACollectibles (who I knew from the eBay boards) kept sending me links to BangZoom's GA Collection thread...once I looked at one of the links I was totally hooked and I've been around here ever since;)

This is the kind of 'partial" disclosure that has kept the War alive without the deserved clear-cut winner. There is one who is right, and another who is just plain-out wrong.

lol , random call out on a 2+ week old post.

It was about me, Jack, not you, lol. From my point of view why I came here...how I got here. It was a long time ago and just what I remembered that made me cross over to this site.

Now if you would like to post why YOU came to this site, that would be your story.

I will gladly read it as something nostalgic.