• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

Well, I didn't win the Gobbledygook. My max was $5500 and just missed. Really wanted that book, it's a grail for sure. Picked up a few prints I had framed so that help heal some wounds. :insane:

This is the 30th anniversary print. It's signed by four artists Kevin, Peter, Steve and Jim Lawson. Low number also! I tried something different with this one as I had it framed and with four mats. Leonardo being my favorite his mat is biggest followed by the other brothers. It doesn't show as well using my phone but I promise it's unique.

photo3.jpg

This is the '14 SDCC poster that's signed by Kevin. I went with green on this mat.

photo1.jpg

Now, this one is really cool in person. My phone doesn't show the detail but this print is great. It's for the 2014 movie and detail is amazing!

photo2.jpg

Very cool stuff !! Sorry about the GG...that went much higher than I thought it would.

I made a rash decision and thought I'd sell my FF1, X-Men, and others and go for Gobbledy. Fortunately, it went way high and I'm not stressing right now lol

The turtle lover in me takes over sometimes.

Nice stuff Chad!

Very cool stuff !! Sorry about the GG...that went much higher than I thought it would.

I made a rash decision and thought I'd sell my FF1, X-Men, and others and go for Gobbledy. Fortunately, it went way high and I'm not stressing right now lol

The turtle lover in me takes over sometimes.

Nice stuff Chad!

Thanks! :) Yeah I honestly thought it was going to top out around 4,300 or so and it just kept going.

Edited by ChadH

I've been buying the TMNT "The Works" collected edition. I'm happy Vol. 3 is coming out in Sept. and already pre-ordered it. I'm confused though. It collects issues #12, #14-15, #17, and #19-21. Having never read the original comics, am I going to be missing something without having issues 13/16/18? Why wouldn't they be included in the collected edition.

Thanks

I've been buying the TMNT "The Works" collected edition. I'm happy Vol. 3 is coming out in Sept. and already pre-ordered it. I'm confused though. It collects issues #12, #14-15, #17, and #19-21. Having never read the original comics, am I going to be missing something without having issues 13/16/18? Why wouldn't they be included in the collected edition.

Thanks

"The Works" books are collecting the IDW TMNT Color Classics which are colored reprints of the original Mirage books. However, certain issues of Vol. I have licensing issues and so it's my understanding that IDW can't reproduce those without coming to an agreement with the original writer. So, for #13, IDW would need to work things out with Michael Dooney. For #16, they'd need to work things with Mark Martin. For #18, Mark Bode. The interesting part about this is that IDW has to work an agreement with others for every different publication. So, IDW worked an agreement with these guys so The Ultimate Collections would include the issues. Apparently, they didn't think it was worth the additional licensing costs to reprint these as part of the Color Classics line.

Thanks

"The Works" books are collecting the IDW TMNT Color Classics which are colored reprints of the original Mirage books. However, certain issues of Vol. I have licensing issues and so it's my understanding that IDW can't reproduce those without coming to an agreement with the original writer. So, for #13, IDW would need to work things out with Michael Dooney. For #16, they'd need to work things with Mark Martin. For #18, Mark Bode. The interesting part about this is that IDW has to work an agreement with others for every different publication. So, IDW worked an agreement with these guys so The Ultimate Collections would include the issues. Apparently, they didn't think it was worth the additional licensing costs to reprint these as part of the Color Classics line.

I see. Do you know, will those missing issues be a problem with the story continuity or are they 1-shot inbetween issues that I won't miss?

I see. Do you know, will those missing issues be a problem with the story continuity or are they 1-shot in between issues that I won't miss?

Actually, I haven't re-read the first series in many years so I can't be totally sure. But if memory serves, after issue #11, TMNT Vol. I had very little continuity outside of a few two or three-part story-lines up to #45 (the first of which is "Return to NY" issues #19-21 - which are included in The Works Vol. 3).

I personally don't think you'll miss them in terms of continuity and you can always get the originals from eBay, online shops, or local comic shops for pretty cheap.

And, quick correction to my previous...I just checked The Ultimate Collections from IDW and, while I thought IDW had gotten permission to reprint #13, 16, & 18...they apparently did not. The Ultimate Collection Vol. 3 also does not contain these 3 issues. My bad.

I hope they're on good terms.

As an aside, I was at my parents' home recently looking through my stash when I discovered some early TMNT copies signed by the both of them when I was still in grade school. I had totally forgotten about these issues, but it brought back a flood of memories of meeting them at a NY comic con back in the late '80s. They were both super cool in a time in which one could just walk up to a creator, chat and get his signature for free.

Since the 30th Anniversary, have Peter and Laird rekindled their friendship after spending some time together signing and collaborating?

And I'm sure they are, but I don't think its too much to suggest that there may be a public face to things. IIRC Kevin was separated from Julie for years and would appear with her publicly to maintain a happy public face.

Not trying to equate the two but just pointing out that its also good business for them to be as friendly as possible.

I really don't know one way or the other. That's something only Kevin and Peter know.

I see. Do you know, will those missing issues be a problem with the story continuity or are they 1-shot in between issues that I won't miss?

Actually, I haven't re-read the first series in many years so I can't be totally sure. But if memory serves, after issue #11, TMNT Vol. I had very little continuity outside of a few two or three-part story-lines up to #45 (the first of which is "Return to NY" issues #19-21 - which are included in The Works Vol. 3).

I personally don't think you'll miss them in terms of continuity and you can always get the originals from eBay, online shops, or local comic shops for pretty cheap.

And, quick correction to my previous...I just checked The Ultimate Collections from IDW and, while I thought IDW had gotten permission to reprint #13, 16, & 18...they apparently did not. The Ultimate Collection Vol. 3 also does not contain these 3 issues. My bad.

I'll add to this and say that the issues included in The Works are the ones that Eastman or Laird directly helmed. #13 Was all Michael Dooney (writing and art) and featured the characters Complete Carnage and Radical. I'd recommend getting their backstory from Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The issue is a one-off and won't affect the Eastman/Laird continuity in the slightest.

#16 is the start of Mark Martin's 3-part story that ends in issues 22 and 23. The story is a bit abstract and also doesn't relate to the overall story.

#18 is a bit different in that Eastman did work on it with friend Mark Bode. They collaborated again on issue #32. Again, this won't affect the story.

The main story you're looking for is contained in the issues Rich mentioned. If you've seen the first live action movie, you'll see that major plot elements are borrowed from the comics though many are heavily altered. Basically, the end of Return to New York (issues 19-21) would coincide with the end of the movie. Eastman and Laird wouldn't collaborate and put out a chronological "canon" story until issue 50 with a 13-part story arc called City at War to finish volume 1.

Eastman and Laird were so busy with everything else (toys, the show, etc.) at the time that they left the comic up to one-off artists and writers. That's why volume 1 is so disjointed and diverse.

The Ultimate Collection hardcovers do a nice job of getting the core story reprinted. If you want the extras, check out the TMNT "Classics Collection" of TPB's with great covers by Michael Dooney. Those collect the missing stories and I don't think any issues overlap.

Adam and crew, I love it. You guys really know you're turtles. I love when you guys put turtle facts up, so Thank You!!!! Always very interesting.

So, I wanted to share my new turtle piece. This is what I do after I watch turtle power and see an afa graded turtle in the background, (might have been Leo or Raph). I've been wanting one for the longest time, have been looking at Slash and a few others on EBay for years, and have thought about grading some of my own, as I have over 100. This particular Leo is a U85 uncirculated with all 85's as subgrades. It looked so sweet, and is the clearest bubble I've ever seen. What's interesting is that the bubble has a slight curve to it, but I imagine like CGC and other graders, maybe the graders were feeling good that day. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

50A09BF8-E55D-4042-AD36-37D6ECBA487D_zpssjwtimbk.jpg

I'll add to this and say that the issues included in The Works are the ones that Eastman or Laird directly helmed. #13 Was all Michael Dooney (writing and art) and featured the characters Complete Carnage and Radical. I'd recommend getting their backstory from Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The issue is a one-off and won't affect the Eastman/Laird continuity in the slightest.

#16 is the start of Mark Martin's 3-part story that ends in issues 22 and 23. The story is a bit abstract and also doesn't relate to the overall story.

#18 is a bit different in that Eastman did work on it with friend Mark Bode. They collaborated again on issue #32. Again, this won't affect the story.

The main story you're looking for is contained in the issues Rich mentioned. If you've seen the first live action movie, you'll see that major plot elements are borrowed from the comics though many are heavily altered. Basically, the end of Return to New York (issues 19-21) would coincide with the end of the movie. Eastman and Laird wouldn't collaborate and put out a chronological "canon" story until issue 50 with a 13-part story arc called City at War to finish volume 1.

Eastman and Laird were so busy with everything else (toys, the show, etc.) at the time that they left the comic up to one-off artists and writers. That's why volume 1 is so disjointed and diverse.

The Ultimate Collection hardcovers do a nice job of getting the core story reprinted. If you want the extras, check out the TMNT "Classics Collection" of TPB's with great covers by Michael Dooney. Those collect the missing stories and I don't think any issues overlap.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Beautiful Figure!!!

I have had a lot of experience with AFA when it comes to McFarlane Sportspicks. You generally won't take a hit for any type of curve anywhere. As long as it doesn't crease you are usually good. I have had cardboard cards that look like boomerangs grade high because it still wasn't creased anywhere....and it straightened in the case once in.

Adam and crew, I love it. You guys really know you're turtles. I love when you guys put turtle facts up, so Thank You!!!! Always very interesting.

So, I wanted to share my new turtle piece. This is what I do after I watch turtle power and see an afa graded turtle in the background, (might have been Leo or Raph). I've been wanting one for the longest time, have been looking at Slash and a few others on EBay for years, and have thought about grading some of my own, as I have over 100. This particular Leo is a U85 uncirculated with all 85's as subgrades. It looked so sweet, and is the clearest bubble I've ever seen. What's interesting is that the bubble has a slight curve to it, but I imagine like CGC and other graders, maybe the graders were feeling good that day. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

50A09BF8-E55D-4042-AD36-37D6ECBA487D_zpssjwtimbk.jpg

Wow! That's awesome! I've been wanting to get all 4 graded and set into a nice display. Looks great!

thought you guys might enjoy seeing what the back cover of Rocksteady and Bebop toon episode was supposed to look like. Don't ask me why they changed it because IMO its a better image than the one they did go with!

rockbebop_zpsd1e24458.jpg