• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

When will the hype carry over to the price variants? IMHO, the Inhumans price variants are all tough books. They generally don't sell for prices as high as they are hard to find...

The real issue was there are ebay sellers were telling buyers Gamora's 1st appearance was Strange Tales 181 when it is not according to CGC, the market, and Overstreet. In my eyes, this was creating a false demand on the ebay market for those that own Strange Tales 181.

You always have to do some due dilligence. Be your own advocate. No one will protect your own interests more than yourself. That said, IH 181 & MP 4 & 7 aside, I think you could look long and hard and still not find a hotter book than ASM 194 right now.

Exactly. You don't need someone to hold your hand. Do research. Decide for yourself. The market is what it is, and precious few can directly influence it, much less control it. However, no individual needs the market to decide for them what they should, or should not, think about any given issue, for any reason.

One could say the same thing about grades, but I don't see many arguments saying we don't need CGC deciding the grades on books ( holding our hands as you put it ). Just do your own research right? Learn how to spot color touch, leaf casting, and so on... good luck!

Yes. Learn how to spot color touch, leaf casting, and so on. It's not rocket surgery.

You don't see many arguments saying we don't need CGC deciding the grades on books...? They're made with regularity on these boards, all the time.

And no, one cannot "say the same thing about grades."

CGC removes the thought about grade, for most. It says 9.8, so its a 9.8. The other things they put on their labels do matter, and it does affect decision making. You make it seem like everyone else is so simple minded for not wanting to spend their precious time trying to figure out if OS, or CGC are right or wrong, when all they want to do is trust what CGC puts on a label. People have plenty of other things to do than take a day researching when a character appeared first. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be collecting comics, or are foolish for trusting another source to be correct about it. They are buying CGC comics for a reason.

CGC is paid to check for restoration, assign a grade, and encapsulate the book. They are not paid to make sure their label notes are up-to-the-minute what the market thinks.

If someone is making their purchasing decisions on the CGC LABEL NOTES, they are doing it wrong, and need to adjust their thinking.

No one said anything about "they shouldn't be collecting comics." You invented that, and then responded as if someone else had said it. That is an example of a strawman argument. What I "make it seem" is your own supposition, and not anything I actually said.

Phrases like "you make it seem" aren't conducive to productive discussion, with its accusatory nature. Don't argue based on what you think I might have said. Argue based on what I *actually* say.

And...it takes an entire day to google "first appearance XXXXX"....?

You have it mixed up. I do not blindly throw my money at stuff. I am trying to protect people. The fact is, CGC does not put out anywhere near the effort they should when it comes to how they label first appearances.

That's because it's not what they are paid to do. And people are "most protected" when they learn the facts for themselves, rather than having someone else "try to protect them." What happens when you're not around...?

When people pay $50,000 on a CGC 9.8 yet they can get a CGC 9.6 for $8,000 you better believe people are out there buying what the label says. I can do my own research, I have no problem with it, but people are going by what that label says because it should be correct. Period. I think they need to take how they label books more seriously. That's all im saying. Why is that so difficult to understand?

So, the label notes and the grade of the book are equally important on the label....?

hm

You don't seem to be able to have a discussion without taking it personally and becoming dismissive and aggressive.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Special Marvel Edition #15 has done nothing price-wise in 30 years. Is there any chance Netflix or Disney does a Master of Kung-Fu redux? It's a longshot but Jackie Chan is out of work. I don't think this book could get any cheaper and its a possible 5-10 bagger if something were to happen. I don't think this is hoard material, but believe a 9.6 can be had for under $200? There is absolute modern variant drek selling for as much if not more. Little downside, lotsa upside. Just sayin'.........

Edited by blazincomics

I'm just going to throw this out there. Special Marvel Edition #15 has done nothing price-wise in 30 years. Is there any chance Netflix or Disney does a Master of Kung-Fu redux? It's a longshot but Jackie Chan is out of work. I don't think this book could get any cheaper and its a possible 5-10 bagger if something were to happen. I don't think this is hoard material, but believe a 9.6 can be had for under $200? There is absolute modern variant drek selling for as much if not more. Little downside, lotsa upside. Just sayin'.........

You couldn't be more right but your words couldn't be more unheeded. This title gets no respect.

If MOKF was to do as good as The Jackie Chan Adventures I'd say.. No

jackie_chan_adventures.jpg

If MOKF was to do as good as The Jackie Chan Adventures I'd say.. No

jackie_chan_adventures.jpg

I think there's currently very little market demand for a TV show with a Chinese male lead (in America that is, I assume that market exists in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and possibly Vancouver).

Although I do think there's a new sitcom offensively named Fresh off the Boat about a Chinese-American family debuting this fall.

I would say there is a close to zero percent chance that Shang-Chi doesn't appear on tv or in movies at some point in the next 5 to 10 years. He could easily appear in the Defenders series on Netflix as a recurring guest star. Marvel seems pretty interested in creating films from genres where superheroes are not typically, or have never been, featured. Martial arts movies have been seeing a bit of resurgence lately with The Raid and its sequel. Plus a Shang-Chi movie likely wouldn't break the bank to produce, as it would largely be free of cost-prohibitive CGI. Plus there is some sort of a track record here with the Blade series having done so well.

The problem with Shang-Chi is that he is a character that is essentially tied to Fu Manchu. Due to the politcal climate these days when it comes to ethnic sensitivity, the estate that owns the rights to that character is not willing to let it go to anyone any more. Without the backdrop of the good doctor, you really don't have much to build on in either new comics or the movies. Just Shang-Chi alone is not going to cut it. Marvel can't even publish in trade the great Gulacy run from the '70s. That arc was epic and if you wanted to read it, you're limited to back issues.

The problem with Shang-Chi is that he is a character that is essentially tied to Fu Manchu. Due to the politcal climate these days when it comes to ethnic sensitivity, the estate that owns the rights to that character is not willing to let it go to anyone any more. Without the backdrop of the good doctor, you really don't have much to build on in either new comics or the movies. Just Shang-Chi alone is not going to cut it. Marvel can't even publish in trade the great Gulacy run from the '70s. That arc was epic and if you wanted to read it, you're limited to back issues.

I have actually been going back and reading these again. Even better than I remembered.

I could see Iron Fist as a movie before Shang-Chi. Iron Fist could get away with the contemporary "ironic posturing" of the current Marvel movies. Shang-Chi would have to be a totally different tone that doesn't fit Marvel's idiom right now. That said, I don't think Marvel can get enough cache out of Iron Fist to make him work. For one, they'd have to introduce the street level to the cineverse, but the street Marvel is going to the televerse.

The real issue was there are ebay sellers were telling buyers Gamora's 1st appearance was Strange Tales 181 when it is not according to CGC, the market, and Overstreet. In my eyes, this was creating a false demand on the ebay market for those that own Strange Tales 181.

You always have to do some due dilligence. Be your own advocate. No one will protect your own interests more than yourself. That said, IH 181 & MP 4 & 7 aside, I think you could look long and hard and still not find a hotter book than ASM 194 right now.

Exactly. You don't need someone to hold your hand. Do research. Decide for yourself. The market is what it is, and precious few can directly influence it, much less control it. However, no individual needs the market to decide for them what they should, or should not, think about any given issue, for any reason.

One could say the same thing about grades, but I don't see many arguments saying we don't need CGC deciding the grades on books ( holding our hands as you put it ). Just do your own research right? Learn how to spot color touch, leaf casting, and so on... good luck!

Yes. Learn how to spot color touch, leaf casting, and so on. It's not rocket surgery.

You don't see many arguments saying we don't need CGC deciding the grades on books...? They're made with regularity on these boards, all the time.

And no, one cannot "say the same thing about grades."

CGC removes the thought about grade, for most. It says 9.8, so its a 9.8. The other things they put on their labels do matter, and it does affect decision making. You make it seem like everyone else is so simple minded for not wanting to spend their precious time trying to figure out if OS, or CGC are right or wrong, when all they want to do is trust what CGC puts on a label. People have plenty of other things to do than take a day researching when a character appeared first. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be collecting comics, or are foolish for trusting another source to be correct about it. They are buying CGC comics for a reason.

CGC is paid to check for restoration, assign a grade, and encapsulate the book. They are not paid to make sure their label notes are up-to-the-minute what the market thinks.

If someone is making their purchasing decisions on the CGC LABEL NOTES, they are doing it wrong, and need to adjust their thinking.

No one said anything about "they shouldn't be collecting comics." You invented that, and then responded as if someone else had said it. That is an example of a strawman argument. What I "make it seem" is your own supposition, and not anything I actually said.

Phrases like "you make it seem" aren't conducive to productive discussion, with its accusatory nature. Don't argue based on what you think I might have said. Argue based on what I *actually* say.

And...it takes an entire day to google "first appearance XXXXX"....?

You have it mixed up. I do not blindly throw my money at stuff. I am trying to protect people. The fact is, CGC does not put out anywhere near the effort they should when it comes to how they label first appearances.

That's because it's not what they are paid to do. And people are "most protected" when they learn the facts for themselves, rather than having someone else "try to protect them." What happens when you're not around...?

When people pay $50,000 on a CGC 9.8 yet they can get a CGC 9.6 for $8,000 you better believe people are out there buying what the label says. I can do my own research, I have no problem with it, but people are going by what that label says because it should be correct. Period. I think they need to take how they label books more seriously. That's all im saying. Why is that so difficult to understand?

So, the label notes and the grade of the book are equally important on the label....?

hm

You don't seem to be able to have a discussion without taking it personally and becoming dismissive and aggressive.

WALL OF TEXT :ohnoez:

I could see Iron Fist as a movie before Shang-Chi. Iron Fist could get away with the contemporary "ironic posturing" of the current Marvel movies. Shang-Chi would have to be a totally different tone that doesn't fit Marvel's idiom right now. That said, I don't think Marvel can get enough cache out of Iron Fist to make him work. For one, they'd have to introduce the street level to the cineverse, but the street Marvel is going to the televerse.

Seriously, this is the worst post I have ever read. lol

I would see this thread heating up.. But, it seems the BA market has a fire under it's rear. Most notable is the Fear #19, and HOTD #1 hitting big money. Notable mention is Defenders #28, first Starhawk, used to be a $15.00 book in NM and now you can get $25.00 for a F/VF copy.

I would see this thread heating up.. But, it seems the BA market has a fire under it's rear. Most notable is the Fear #19, and HOTD #1 hitting big money. Notable mention is Defenders #28, first Starhawk, used to be a $15.00 book in NM and now you can get $25.00 for a F/VF copy.

Fear already dropping back down. It was fetching $100, now $50 or less.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366547/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers

That's awesome! I just bought a 9.4 WP on comiclink. Thanks for getting me off the fence!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, ha. IMDB is like Wikipedia for the most part. A lot of people can edit the information on it. It also says "announced", which to my knowledge it has not been anywhere.