• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

Perhaps I'm not alone when shaking my head upon seeing the latest Overstreet Price Guide's list for the top 10 BA books? This year's list has its newest surprise. Cerebus 1 comes in ahead of Hulk 181. For that matter, it's more valuable than the top 3 Marvel BA keys that aren't variants. By the way Bob, don't you think it's time to seperate the price variants from mainstream books when comparing values?

Back to Cerebus 1 and Hulk 181. We can discuss the fact that Cerebus 1 had a print run of 2000 and that it's a tougher book to find in higher grades than Hulk 181. But how many collectors out there are having sleepless nights because they don't have the Aardvark's first appearance in their collections?

Interesting thing about how the BA market for keys differs from the SA's. The SA Marvel keys are more plentiful than their DC counterparts. Sure the demand for the SA Marvel keys justifies the higher prices paid for them when compared to DC's. But why does the opposite effect continue to hold true, at least to Overstreet, for BA Marvel keys? How much demand is out there for Cerebus 1? While the Aardvark's first appearance has its place in the history of the BA, does that really justify its being more valuable than Hulk 181 since a handful of people are willing to pay more for it? The demand of a handful of people automatically defines the make up of the top 10 BA books?

Cerebus 1 (and Fear 19 Howard Duck) is under priced compared to Rocket Raccoon mag based on poor printing, sparse distribution, 2k print run. Perhaps Dave Sim has time to produce Aardvark animated tv cartoon finally?

Considering how irrelevant Overstreet is, I can't believe that anyone really cares.

Yeah, I really don't know what Overstreet's place in the hobby is any more. I like the dealer's articles and I go through the ad's. I guess for raw copies, it's still a starting point but it's hard to imagine that they really have the data-gathering operation to make substantial claims as to those prices.

Does anyone have some insight on how Ov...okay, will start a separate thread and not hijack!

Considering how irrelevant Overstreet is, I can't believe that anyone really cares.

Overstreet is extremely relevant. Just look at all the ad space purchased by the big auction houses, not to mention the dealers. Those advertisements aren't cheap. There's a reason why Metropolis, CLink, Heritage, CGC, etc buy advertising space, in some cases multiple full page ads.

Cerebus 1 (and Fear 19 Howard Duck) is under priced compared to Rocket Raccoon mag based on poor printing, sparse distribution, 2k print run. Perhaps Dave Sim has time to produce Aardvark animated tv cartoon finally?

That would be excellent. And Wolveroach can get his due.teehee.

Overstreet is extremely relevant. Just look at all the ad space purchased by the big auction houses, not to mention the dealers. Those advertisements aren't cheap. There's a reason why Metropolis, CLink, Heritage, CGC, etc buy advertising space, in some cases multiple full page ads.

Good point. I know that's what turned me onto a lot of big sellers when I returned to the hobby.

Good point. I know that's what turned me onto a lot of big sellers when I returned to the hobby.

What some collectors miss about Overstreet is the stamp of approval the guide gives to these businesses. The OSPG carries a great deal of weight and can also influence the significance of a book rise in status. The advertisers use the guide too.

How much demand is out there for Cerebus 1?

More demand than copies. Hulk 181 is everywhere.

Since 2000 copies of Cerebus 1 were printed, it's fair to say that not much is required to increase demand.

Hulk 181 is everywhere and it's fair to say that every BA Marvel collector and/or anyone who collects keys from the '70s wants a Hulk 181 in their collection.

Cerebus 1 is a non-mainstream book that very few collectors want being categorized as a major key. It's not a major key. The simple reason is that very few collectors are seeking it.

I am not sure where you buy most of your comics from. But I would hate to pay Ebay prices from every dealer or LCS I shop at. I would say it's relevant to a collectors wallet.

I am not sure where you buy most of your comics from. But I would hate to pay Ebay prices from every dealer or LCS I shop at. I would say it's relevant to a collectors wallet.

You miss my point - the biggest in the business pay Overstreet big money to advertise. There's a reason why. The Gulde is a powerful brand in the world of comics. And yes, it can also benefit the collector.

How much demand is out there for Cerebus 1?

More demand than copies. Hulk 181 is everywhere.

Since 2000 copies of Cerebus 1 were printed, it's fair to say that not much is required to increase demand.

Hulk 181 is everywhere and it's fair to say that every BA Marvel collector and/or anyone who collects keys from the '70s wants a Hulk 181 in their collection.

Very fair to say. Luckily for those who want a 181, its very attainable in nearly every grade.

What drives us to collect BA books? Do you think scarcity is a primary factor in the BA collector's desire to collect the keys? Sure there are less GL 76s than Hulk 181s in 9.4 or higher grades. And there are less SC 4s than AF 15s but we know which happens to be the bigger SA key. My point is that Hulk 181 is the AF 15 of the BA. Heck, Wolverine is along with Spidey, the most popular Marvel Comics character of the 20th and 21st (so far) Centuries. Wolverine is an icon. The number of collectors seeking to add Hulk 181 to their collections vastly outnumbers the few seeking a copy of Cerebus 1. But if one or two collectors happen to pay more for a 9.2 copy of Cerebus 1 than the many who purchased Hulk 181 for a lesser price, the former book is more valuable than the latter? To who? A few collectors?