• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Cool! It's Old! It Hasn't Been Done Yet! The Strange Tales #101 Club!
1 1

115 posts in this topic

Add me to the club.

You have no idea what you just put me through to find this damn book. Sweating to death and my back is killin me. Thanks! lol

Great idea for a club. When I was younger I thought of this comic in the same way as TOS #39, TTA #27 and JIM #83. It seems to have fallen off a lot since then. This was the hero take over issue for this title. And a mega key to me. :cloud9:

875fdea9bf2a0bc355812b94a7be9ad2_zps11358696.jpg[/img]

Sorry about your back, Bro!

Great copy, tho! Props!

Thanks! No problem bro. I forgot what my copy looked like and when I saw your thread I got pumped to dig it out.

As to what I said. When did this comic stop being a key? Seems no one looks at this comic the way I did when I was younger. I guess cause it's not a first appearance. (shrug) Still a key to me. :sumo:

As to what I said. When did this comic stop being a key? Seems no one looks at this comic the way I did when I was younger. I guess cause it's not a first appearance. (shrug) Still a key to me. :sumo:

I know exactly how you feel. Where is the love? Strange Tales is a fantastic title, lots of people like and collect it, and this is the hero starting point!

I still gravitate towards this issue whenever one surfaces.

Thanks for starting this thread. I don't have a 101 at the moment, but I've strangely always held the book in higher esteem than I probably should.

Great "circle 12" cover. I remember seeing a couple of copies of this in my LCS when I has a kid, maybe around 1982.

Not sure why I like it so much, but I do.

Thanks for starting this thread. I don't have a 101 at the moment, but I've strangely always held the book in higher esteem than I probably should.

Great "circle 12" cover. I remember seeing a couple of copies of this in my LCS when I has a kid, maybe around 1982.

You like it cause it's a key. :sumo:

You like it cause it's a key. :sumo:

That's as good of a guess as any. All those early Strange Tales issues have great covers.

Next time I go digging I'll pull out my (midgrade) copy. This series always felt like Fantastic Four Lite to me, a nice adder-on to the main title. Solo Torch stories were okay, but when they added Thing to the mix, their personalities and interplay brought it all up a notch.

Besides, how can you not love a series that introduces The Wizard and Past Pot Pete to the MU?

lol

It does not seem that long ago that #101 and #110 were neck and neck both in price and desiribility. Now #101 is very much the junior of the two.

A very old scan of my copy. Both this and #110 were together from the same collection at the same price. I chose to keep this as older, nicer cover and likely harder to find again...

1ce87c71-1079-4d71-803b-8bffdcbbbcd3_zpsoft8zhek.jpg

For which grade?

In 1990 I mostly dreamed about collecting early (and costly) Marvels, not actually collected them! lol

All the prices in that guide were for NM copies. Back then I was too busy buying Drek instead of buying higher price keys. :cry: Putting together a runs of Power Man and Iron Fist and Marvel Team Up. :facepalm:

Back then I was daydreaming of having some day a collection of early Tales to Astonish… :cloud9: The very Overstreet prices made me cringe… in the end I think the very first SA books I got were some late FF with import stamps, found here in Italy for decent prices. I knew most issues would have hurt… and I limited myself to normal issues, not keys. I made an exception for FF #49 and #50 of which I purchased low grade copies, but they costed too much for me and when they arrived I was a bit disappointed because I liked my books in the Fine range or better but still… I have upgraded the #49 and now waiting for a #50.

My #48 is a rag but will do until I find a deal…

I'm amazed you managed to find that guide!

I remember the day I bought that....just started collecting again after stopping in my late teens. Bought that and Spider Man #2 that had just came out and I got hooked again. Put the price guide in a drawer and left it there for 24 years. lol