• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they can share to straighten out OA that may have become wrinkled, frayed, crumpled etc due to transport? Iron on low heat setting work for anyone? I have a print that came in the mail today from one of my favorite indie artists but USPS beat up the package pretty good and the artwork isn't in any condition to frame yet.

Advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they can share to straighten out OA that may have become wrinkled, frayed, crumpled etc due to transport? Iron on low heat setting work for anyone? I have a print that came in the mail today from one of my favorite indie artists but USPS beat up the package pretty good and the artwork isn't in any condition to frame yet.

Ironing works for many many people, I have not done it myself but would not hesitate should MY first method prove ineffective. I use the Andy DuFrain method, time and pressure...time and pressure. It works far better than you would expect. Put it in an Itoya and place that under whatever weight you can, preferably a few other Itoyas. I have had pieces that were trashed seriously enough for me to complain and demand restitution/satisfaction turn into pieces you could only tell were damaged by close inspection.

But if you want to frame it soon, light mist and not too hot iron on the reverse side of the art...repeat ad infinitum. You takes your chances though with water and heat though, so you have been warned. ;-)

Edited by Bird

have it pressed

Another noob question...

I'm looking at a piece that is the original pencils only. Does a piece like this take extra care to preserve?

Recently I purchased an art portfolio from Anthony's Comic book art to store recent purchases that are pencils with inks. Can I store just penciled pieces in the same portfolio or do I need to take extra steps for protection, aside from framing? I fear that I could some how smear the art work if I'm not careful.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I have a noob question, hopefully this is the right place for it.

Is it common for artists to not sell specific pages? For some reason I was under the impression that they usually just sell them all, but I suppose they might keep a few that they really like.

An example; after reading Moon Knight #4 I set out to find pages 8 and 9 by Declan Shalvey only to find that they weren't on the website at all, and it usually marks sold pages as sold but leaves them up.

Cheers

Every artist is different.

Some sell all of their OA, some sell none of their OA, and some sell select pieces.

I haven't seen the pages in question, but if they were that good that you were/are seeking them out chances are someone else was as well. They just happened to get there before your. Or Declan liked them so much he decided to keep them. (shrug)

You can write to the person that runs the website you're talking about and ask if they have been sold already. If you're lucky they just didn't get listed yet and you may get first crack.

Good luck (thumbs u

So how about the opposite of collecting, selling?

More specifically I have around 50 pages of what many would consider secondary books, most have recognizable heroes but nothing I would consider A material. I was going to throw it all up on ebay and let the pieces fall where they may (or see if Comiclink was interested) as I collected most of this stuff the better part of 10 years ago and it doesn't have sentimental value.

Does anyone have experience selling OA in the ditches as it were (shrug)

Is it considered bad form to contact people about art labeled NFS?

Unless its a very strong "pry it from my cold dead hands". I would ask if it really interest you. of course how you ask matters, you certainly have to be polite, but other than that, I don't think it;s bad form to ask.

Malvin

For commissions also do research on the artist. Does he get his previous commissions done within the specified time? What type of payment is required? 100% down? 50% down, 50% when complete? If an artist says up front his has a long commission list or has a heavy schedule for published work (that always comes first before commissions). Are you comfortable waiting? Some collectors have waited years for their commissions (and some are still waiting.

Unless its a very strong "pry it from my cold dead hands". I would ask if it really interest you. of course how you ask matters, you certainly have to be polite, but other than that, I don't think it;s bad form to ask.

Malvin

Thanks Malvin. (Thumbs u

Hi, I have been collecting original comic art for about 15 years. I am not wealthy. I don't have any high end art. But I have a very nice collection of pages, commissions, and underground stuff that I have collected over there years. These are somethings to consider when you start out collecting.

Start slow. Buy what you like. Be prepared to wait long periods of time for pieces/characters you collect to become available. Don't spend tons of money all at once because you can never buy everything. Don't be afraid to negotiate politely. Don't be afraid to walk away from a piece if you think the price is unreasonable. And the most important thing of all: Store your art correctly. Repeat, store ones art correctly.

Just remember, collecting art for ones enjoyment is different from buying art as an investment. I know they both go hand and hand. But compare it to being a sports fan and someone who bets on sports. Sport fans love their teams to win, gamblers don't care who wins, they just want to beat the spread. Happy collecting.

I don't see a problem doing so. It doesn't bother me when I get such requests (no harm listening) . . . and I've sometimes ended-up selling!

Nothing ventured . . .

I don't see a problem doing so. It doesn't bother me when I get such requests (no harm listening) . . . and I've sometimes ended-up selling!

Nothing ventured . . .

That's good to hear - sometimes I feel bad about cold calling someone who says NFS...