• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

Those are something I wouldn`t mind getting into again.

Anybody have price ranges for those old Aurora sets? I use to have some of them when I was younger, and yes, my parents threw them out. lol

I wonder how it will affect the "garage kit" industry. :eek:

Moebius Models did a badazz line of Movie Monsters...

moebcreaturebox1.jpg05FMB03_Bride.jpg

And Janus did a Jack Pierce/Boris Karloff tribute kit that's just insane...

Karloff+Pierce+4.JPG

That tiny industry is their biggest fans and lives or dies by being able to deal with licensing issues. So I hope Universal cuts them major slack or goes easy on them with this new venture.. :wishluck:

Alex Kurtzman to Launch the Monster Cinematic Universe with 'Mummy'

---------------------------

Mummy will unwrap into theaters on April 22, 2016, and will set the tone for future monster movies to build off of, similar to Iron Man’s role in 2008. Little is known about Mummy’s plot, but it is believed to be set in the present day, and will not feature any of the same characters from the previous franchise.

Kurtzman had already been producing the project with 47 Ronin writer Chris Morgan, but the studio was extremely impressed with his command of the material, and offered him the director’s chair.

---------------------------

I grew up being spooked as a kid watching these black and white flicks and I still get that same feeling every time I see them. I hope they do them justice. :wishluck:

I had those postcards that USPS did in conjunction with a stamp set a few years back of the classic monsters.

Never did get the Aurora sets. :(

Man, I hope they don't screw this up but bet they will.

Those are something I wouldn`t mind getting into again.

Anybody have price ranges for those old Aurora sets? I use to have some of them when I was younger, and yes, my parents threw them out. lol

:cloud9:

AuroraModels.jpg

(worship)

(worship)(worship)

I loved creature feature and chiller theater. The clay hand that came up out of the bog and ate the lettering was very cool in the eyes of a pre-teen back in the day.

WPIX in NY! Great times with my dad getting scared.

:luhv:

The rumor is 'Dracula Untold' may be the kickoff of this entire Monster Franchise, depending on how it does at the box office. The reviews are mixed, though the box office results are stronger than what was expected.

‘Dracula Untold’ Review Roundup: A Classic Character Comes Alive

------------------

NY Daily News:

“Luke Evans is dashing as Prince Vlad in an origin story of the famous vampire; the plot and CGI are a little murky, though. “Dracula Untold” is hazy in laying out the rules, but basically if Vlad resists the temptation to take a second sip … he’ll have vampire power for three days and then return to normal. During the final battle, Vlad must condemn his soul to darkness to get the job done. The twist offers some sympathy for the Devil that’s interesting to dwell on, but feels forced in this story.”

------------------

The New York Times:

“When the vampires in Dracula Untold are exposed to sunlight, flakes of skin fly from their faces; the special effect resembles a cross between action painting and dandruff. The movie is the latest multiplex filler to co-opt a classic tale only to drown it in computer-generated murk. Even the title has the ring of something created by committee.”

------------------

USA Today:

“Evans does what he can and exudes enough charisma to make his Vlad pop at times, especially in one sequence that couldn’t be more obvious in cementing Dracula Untold as the start of a Marvel Studios-style shared universe of movies. Does that make Evans the Monster Avengers’ answer to Tony Stark? Who knows, but at least he can rock a serious Batnado.”

------------------

So an increase in the value of Fury's Howling Commandos, or unaffected? :baiting:

I'm not sure about that. But there are some Universal monster comics. Dell put out some books in the 50s/60s and Dark Horse released some adaptations in the 90s.

This talk about a Universal monster movie-verse has me wishing Marvel would follow suit. I'd love a Tomb of Dracula (original), Werewolf by Night, Monster of Frankenstein, etc. movie-verse. If they really have Ghost Rider back in their stables, kick it off with a reboot of that character.

Edited by rjrjr

I was thinking more of Creature From the Black Lagoon. A mystery set in the Amazon seems worlds away from all the Euro Gothic stuff. But, I'm probably wrong and it will all turn out great. :)

A classic I do think they could remake for today... The Man from Planet X. :popcorn:

I wonder who owns the rights.

You're right about the Creature. I don't know how they would get him to work well with the big three(Frank, Drac and Wolf), but maybe they could just make it clear they're in the same universe without interacting. Jeff Rovin wrote a novel years ago called "Return of the Wolfman" which was a sequel to the Universal movies, and if I'm remembering correctly, he incorporated the Creature into the plot somehow.

Whoever owns the United Artists library has the rights to Planet X now, I think.

Don't forget they all got together for the Mad Monster Party back in '67!

150397.jpg.c3c4c6e7de2df58c0c7d333783261501.jpg

I was thinking more of Creature From the Black Lagoon. A mystery set in the Amazon seems worlds away from all the Euro Gothic stuff. But, I'm probably wrong and it will all turn out great. :)

A classic I do think they could remake for today... The Man from Planet X. :popcorn:

I wonder who owns the rights.

You're right about the Creature. I don't know how they would get him to work well with the big three(Frank, Drac and Wolf), but maybe they could just make it clear they're in the same universe without interacting. Jeff Rovin wrote a novel years ago called "Return of the Wolfman" which was a sequel to the Universal movies, and if I'm remembering correctly, he incorporated the Creature into the plot somehow.

Whoever owns the United Artists library has the rights to Planet X now, I think.

Don't forget they all got together for the Mad Monster Party back in '67!

:applause:

I have that on DVD. It was a huge hit with kids in my neighborhood.

Universal Wants Aaron Guzikowski To Pen THE WOLF MAN Reboot

--------------------

Cinematic universes are all the rage. You can blame Marvel and The Avengers for that. By now you should know Alex Kurtzman ("Stark Trek Into Darkness") has been put in charge of Universal's classic movie monster cinematic universe. The Mummy reboot, which is slated for a June 24, 2016 release, was supposed to kick things off but it may have unexpectedly begun with this summer's Dracula Untold. Then a week ago, Universal announced a April 21, 2017 release date for a mystery monster movie that will follow The Mummy. Could that film be a reboot of The Wolf Man?

Despite a lack of superheroes, Universal Pictures continues to bolster its franchises. The studio is going hard to revive its classic monsters franchises–I’m hearing that Prisoners scribe Aaron Guzikowski is being courted to get the Wolf Man howling again, after Uni rebooted The Mummy.

--------------------

Universal's Cinematic Monster Universe Will Focus On "Action-Adventure" Instead Of Horror

---------------------

LANGLEY: We have to mine our resources. We don't have any capes [in our film library]. But what we do have is an incredible legacy and history with the monster characters. We've tried over the years to make monster movies — unsuccessfully, actually. So, we took a good, hard look at it, and we settled upon an idea, which is to take it out of the horror genre, put it more in the action-adventure genre and make it present day, bringing these incredibly rich and complex characters into present day and reimagine them and reintroduce them to a contemporary audience.

---------------------