• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

What did Platt do other than 4 issues of Moon Knight? I remember he did some work at Image on Prophet, but I can't recall him doing any kind of lengthy run. Being the Moon Knight run is over 20 years old now I can see how it might appeal to those who wanted it years ago, but long term I see no future for Platt's body of work.

There was a thread here a while back that linked to an article detailing Platt's time at Liefeld's studio. The thing that struck me was Liefeld recounting being annoyed with Platt's inability to meet a deadline. Rob Liefeld! lol

What did Platt do other than 4 issues of Moon Knight? I remember he did some work at Image on Prophet, but I can't recall him doing any kind of lengthy run. Being the Moon Knight run is over 20 years old now I can see how it might appeal to those who wanted it years ago, but long term I see no future for Platt's body of work.

There was a thread here a while back that linked to an article detailing Platt's time at Liefeld's studio. The thing that struck me was Liefeld recounting being annoyed with Platt's inability to meet a deadline. Rob Liefeld! lol

Yep. That pretty much says what needs to be said

Platt did a Variant for Dark Knight not too long ago. I don't recall which issue. #1 maybe? He also did a really cool Wolverine Variant.

He does a lot of work in movies now. He worked on Iron Man, Godzilla, Tons and tons of others. Kevin Feige personally asked him for a Moon Knight Sketch, which is the one he has been selling prints of at shows recently.

I got to chat with him for a while when he did a show here in April. Really nice guy, and his Art has only gotten better with time. He does some really amazing stuff now.

Don't forget this one!

651503-agent1_zpsedb9f383.jpg

I always thought Platt was amazing. Shame he never really took off. I think he easily rivaled the talent of his day.

I always thought Platt was amazing. Shame he never really took off. I think he easily rivaled the talent of his day.

Loved Platt.

His Moon Knight issues blew me away, and I remember how excited I was when I landed a Prophet #4 variant.

Don't forget this one!

That's the worst cover I've ever seen . . . lol

Don't forget this one!

I always wondered why a woman with a metal mask would need LIPSTICK.

back to greed and speculation...

so as i was pulling my stack of books out of the dollar box at one of my local shops there was a nice Moon Knight 55. I figured it's probably worth $5 now and even if it wasn't, I'd buy it for nostalgia if nothing else. I was going to pull it out and remind the shop owner "remember when this was a $20 book?"... but he wasn't there, just the guy who was 9 in 1994.

ANYWAY...criminey, I look it up and it's apparently much more than a $20 book nowadays. Go figure. It's not like SPLATT has done anything recently. Have to say though, I do like the cover, he outMcFarlaned McFarlaine.

That depends on how you look at it. I think McFarlane had some really decent layout design that added to the overall effect, and that I don't recall seeing in Platt's art.

Just talking about the cover to MK 55, not anything else, I like it a lot.

The opposite, maybe, especially if he ever does anything of significance again. The fact that there is SO LITTLE of his stuff out there (could make it desirable.

Fact is, 55 and 57 sell for some decent scratch for books from 1993. It helped that Moon Knight was a near dead title, so even in the era of huge print-runs MK's wasn't so big.

He did too many huge muscles and what not when he went over to Image to do prophet. i could see how he'd have trouble with deadlines as his stuff has a lot of detail.

He DID really take off. He was the hottest artist out there for about a year+. But if you can't meet deadlines it is tough to function in the comic biz. Of course, he could have tried becoming a cover artist, but I don't think there was as much of that out there in 1993-1996 like now where Cambpell never needs to do the insides of another book ever again, he can stay famous and make a nice living doing 9-12 covers a year (and the resulting posters, signings, OA sales, commissions, etc.)

Edited by the blob

So, here's the thing about the Outsiders. While they first appeared in B&B #200, as I remember it (it's been years since I read the story, which if I'm not mistaken is a short portion of the book), the story takes place sometime after the events of the first few issues of Batman and the Outsiders, which tells the story of the formation of the team. So we sort of have a ASM #252/Secret Wars II #8 thing going on, which is that a story which isn't presented as a flashback takes place earlier in continuity than a previously published book. I don't know how much that might affect demand for BATO #1, but I just thought I'd toss it out there.

which one was printed first?

Brave & Bold 200 was printed 1st & is the obvious first appearance.

I'm certainly not disputing that B&B was printed first. Just pointing out that BATO #1 could end up being a secondary key, as it serves to introduce the new characters, even if they had a prior printed appearance.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps