• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I recently got bit by the grey-tone GI Combat bug. After seeing a nice raw run of these, I had to go out and start putting my own little stash together.

My favourite run in all the DC Big 5. :luhv:

Mine too.

The Perty-thirty (thumbs u

I recently got bit by the grey-tone GI Combat bug. After seeing a nice raw run of these, I had to go out and start putting my own little stash together.

I never had or read GI Combat #86 but that cover reminded me of the story in Weird War Tales #1. Is that story in GIC #86 same one in WWT #1?

So, how was the forum banquet? Did Russ go? Was there an auction? Any items remain that you could auction here? How was the attendance for the banquet?
Solid. Yes. Yes. No. 20.

I would have taken pictures but left my camera at someone's house and didn't have it during the Con.

Lots of sweet art was auctioned off to raise money for the Russ's Con expenses but there was a nice amount left over that will be donated to Russ and Sam Glanzman as both could use the money.

Russ seemed to be in good spirits with his wits as quick as always.

Mega props to Mick for arranging the dinner and driving Heath down to the Con. He puts in a lot of effort to help make the event a success. (worship)

:gossip: He should go easier on the balsamic vinaigrette

Oh man, I hope there are pictures of the banquet with Russ Heath! That's cool he made it there.

That's a good question. Did anybody take pictures this year? I totally forgot to ask anybody to help document it!! There IS a picture of Russ that Mark took and uploaded into his convention report in the original art forum.

Kubert Book

(Donated by Henry Baba)

Sad Sack

Semper Fi (Glanz Korean War)

Friend (Estrada)

WWII

Fightin Marines

WWII Splash

Little Tank 18

Fighin Marines

(Above items were care of Greg Pharis who donated 1/2 the proceeds to our account)

Akins Print 1

Akins Print 2

(The above items were donated by Kelly Akins who painted a killer original piece depicting Joe Kubert and his great war comics creations. The original was auctioned last year and he brought prints this year.)

Washtone Color Sep

Scuba Washtone Color Sep

Guns of Dragon (Tim Truman Enemy Ace)

Neal Adams sketch of Batman

Heath Sgt Rock sketch

Heath Haunted Tank sketch

Aragones gag war sketch donation

Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge in war fatigues sketch

Sam and Lew Glanzman Cover to "A Sailor's Story: Volume 1"

All in all, we raised $2310 for our Big-5 account. Most of last year's proceeds were used to underwrite Russ Heath's hotel expenses for THIS year. Likewise, we flipped Heath and Glanzman a happy nest-egg as a thanks for their continued support of us. Part of the philosophy that guides our group is the notion that these artists be recognized while they're still alive. Increasingly, it's become more and more difficult for them to attend but each has been supportive for MANY years in the donation of original art (Glanzman has even donated something for many years. . .even in absentia. He hasn't actually attended in nearly a decade.).

As before, in lieu of being an officially non-profit group, I made every effort to keep things transparent so that any money that changed/changes hands had to pass through a third party (witness) before I deposit it into the Big-5 account. The $$ in the account are ONLY used for the Big-5 banquet. We've done it this way for 20 years and as long as artists are alive to support/honor, we'll keep the auction rolling.

If anybody is curious about account specifics, I'll be happy to answer any questions/scan bank statements, hotel receipts, or money order receipts via PM. Thanks to Adam Strange for helping me with the accounting and providing an extra level of scrutability.

A tip of the hat to Bill (Tupenny Conan) for donating $200 to help underwrite Heath this year. It went to a good cause, dude!

Edited by Comick1

Just got to read the War Report in the new OPG. Good stuff, thanks guys!

But I'm curious -- why only mention OOAW 168 as the 1st app. of the Unknown Soldier? Has it been decided then that SSWS 151 is no longer the true 1st app.?

I thought many of us were leaning toward SSWS 151...

:popcorn:

But I'm curious -- why only mention OOAW 168 as the 1st app. of the Unknown Soldier? Has it been decided then that SSWS 151 is no longer the true 1st app.?

Because OAAW 168 is the Soldier's 1st appearance. SSWS 151 is the Soldier's 1st solo book. Both are must haves for Unknown Soldier collectors.

Because OAAW 168 is the Soldier's 1st appearance. SSWS 151 is the Soldier's 1st solo book. Both are must haves for Unknown Soldier collectors.

Yeah...but I remember reading somewhere (the Pedrin guide, maybe) that the Unknown Soldier in OOAW 168 dies at the end, and is therefore a different person than the one in SSWS 151.

Although there's some kind of ret-conning going on in SSWS 157, I think, where they reprint the story from 168 with new bookends.

I still don't own a SSWS #151 (although it's been reprinted a few times) so I can't really say. I know I've read it a few times, but can't recall what happened specifically in the story.

Dude, my brain already exploded over the GIC 68/OAAW 81-83 controversy!

I still don't own a SSWS #151 (although it's been reprinted a few times) so I can't really say. I know I've read it a few times, but can't recall what happened specifically in the story.

Dude, my brain already exploded over the GIC 68/OAAW 81-83 controversy!

.... and it shouldn't even BE a controversy.... just get one of each :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I just picked up a 4.5 copy of G I Combat #1. Been a while since I've owned one and I'm very happy to add it to my reserve. :whee:

Andy, just got around to reading this year's War Report. You guys did a fantastic job. I'm especially happy to see 2 books I'm very fond of starting to get the recognition they deserve:

SSWS 84 - Marie has moved up the ranks and has passed the Dinosaur issue as I expected. I believe her ascent will continue.

OAAW 168 - Another classic that will climb higher.

I'm looking forward to next year's war report!

Please extend by appreciation to your fellow correspondents!

John

I just picked up a 4.5 copy of G I Combat #1. Been a while since I've owned one and I'm very happy to add it to my reserve. :whee:

Andy, just got around to reading this year's War Report. You guys did a fantastic job. I'm especially happy to see 2 books I'm very fond of starting to get the recognition they deserve:

SSWS 84 - Marie has moved up the ranks and has passed the Dinosaur issue as I expected. I believe her ascent will continue.

John

Thanks, John! I really enjoyed it as well. It's something that I look forward to so much every year.

Matt Ballesteros and Mick Rabin deserve oodles of credit. Far more than I deserve. Also, we shouldn't forget the help from Richard Evans and Keith Marlow when they first started doing the War Report. Along with Matt and Mick, those guys were the grunts, doing all of the hard work, laying the foundation for years to come, by determining the criteria of a war comic.

Can't forget our beloved Shep, Brian Sheppard, who is a deep pool of war comic info. :hi: Hi, Shep!

As far as the books gaining steam, I think Mlle Marie is still a heck of a buy at today's prices.

It'd be nice if DC would do some more Mlle Marie stories. Pair her up with the Unknown Soldier for a few stories, and this little kid would be in heaven. :cloud9:

John

Thanks, John! I really enjoyed it as well. It's something that I look forward to so much every year.

Matt Ballesteros and Mick Rabin deserve oodles of credit. Far more than I deserve. Also, we shouldn't forget the help from Richard Evans and Keith Marlow when they first started doing the War Report. Along with Matt and Mick, those guys were the grunts, doing all of the hard work, laying the foundation for years to come, by determining the criteria of a war comic.

Can't forget our beloved Shep, Brian Sheppard, who is a deep pool of war comic info. :hi: Hi, Shep!

As far as the books gaining steam, I think Mlle Marie is still a heck of a buy at today's prices.

It'd be nice if DC would do some more Mlle Marie stories. Pair her up with the Unknown Soldier for a few stories, and this little kid would be in heaven. :cloud9:

That would be a great storyline. I could see it now: "French Beauty and the Unknown Beast"

All you guys do a great job! It's so important to the War Comics genre. A decade from now, many war comic collectors will look back to these times and refer to the War Report.

Andy, please see if you and the guys can do something about getting Bob to add OAAW 83 to the SA top 20 list. The Rock belongs there.

Thanks again to you and the guys for making war comics history. (thumbs u

John

That would be a great storyline. I could see it now: "French Beauty and the Unknown Beast"

All you guys do a great job! It's so important to the War Comics genre. A decade from now, many war comic collectors will look back to these times and refer to the War Report.

Andy, please see if you and the guys can do something about getting Bob to add OAAW 83 to the SA top 20 list. The Rock belongs there.

Thanks again to you and the guys for making war comics history. (thumbs u

Believe me, Matt made a great effort to have this done. The numbers support Rock to be in the top 20, it's not just some fanboys that are asking for it. We'll see for next year. :wishluck: