• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

I know everyone made a big deal about the "thread krapping" that Brock is guilty of, and how deserved his strike was.

Here is another great example of it, let's see if the letter of the law is applied here as well.

hm

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7907078#Post7907078

I should have copied all the things said.

It was bad, or at least no worse than what I've seen people get strikes for.

Agreed Hector... it was bad :(

If some research would have been applied, one could see that a few CGC board members ebay stores / auctions now have this same issue for sale in a similar, comparable price range to the one listed earlier on the boards.

ok seriously... the "I have another guy offering ____" will never work on me.

I wanted a book pretty bad. I made an offer, his counter was that he had another guy offering more than me but (supposedly) less than the seller wanted to sell for so if I could come up over the other offer we could do the deal. Sounded like if I didnt beat the other offer it would be sold and gone, but..

I smell lie, I walk away. strangely the book never sells in the thread and just now a few weeks later the seller (when talking about another book) mentions that he still has the first book and am I interested.

maybe this move works with some people but there are enough of us here who can smell an angle and see it coming...

plus the guy pulled the "I have more in it than that" when I know he did not, cause his purchase of it is in GPA (and he posted about buying it right after it sold, so it didnt go through multiple hands and increase in price along the way). (and my offer was over his purchase price for the record)

Just say you want more, dont BS me with a lie that it cost more than it really did. At least I'll respect the honesty.

*sigh* moving on...

rantrant

guilty :D ... so here's the discussion question.

Why do people outright lie about "what they have in a book" when there's a full record of most sales (depending on where it was bought), and books are identifiable by their unique serial number?

rantrant

guilty :D ... so here's the discussion question.

Why do people outright lie about "what they have in a book" when there's a full record of most sales (depending on where it was bought), and books are identifiable by their unique serial number?

SOMETIMES, albeit rarely, someone might have more in the book than is listed on GPA, whether it be from buyer's premiums, shipping, insurance (during shipping and afterwards), storage, security, or brokerage fees,

OR they bought the book as part of a group and they were lazy/hazy on the math. I bought a group of 20 books that averaged about $1000, some were $600, some were $1500. I list at $900, you offer $800, and the previous owner might have reported to GPA at $700. I figure I'm into the book for around $850, but it gets pretty hazy.

I think most of the time its a sales tactic, but I could see this happening.

Edited by Revat

I wanted a book pretty bad. I made an offer, his counter was that he had another guy offering more than me but (supposedly) less than the seller wanted to sell for so if I could come up over the other offer we could do the deal. Sounded like if I didnt beat the other offer it would be sold and gone, but..

I smell lie, I walk away. strangely the book never sells in the thread and just now a few weeks later the seller (when talking about another book) mentions that he still has the first book and am I interested.

maybe this move works with some people but there are enough of us here who can smell an angle and see it coming...

plus the guy pulled the "I have more in it than that" when I know he did not, cause his purchase of it is in GPA (and he posted about buying it right after it sold, so it didnt go through multiple hands and increase in price along the way). (and my offer was over his purchase price for the record)

Just say you want more, dont BS me with a lie that it cost more than it really did. At least I'll respect the honesty.

*sigh* moving on...

I hate that crepe. :sumo:

*sigh* moving on...

Got any gold coins :baiting:

*sigh* moving on...

Got any gold coins :baiting:

No, but I'd accept them as payment for comics. :D