• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any info on Marvel Comic's "Pussycat" magazine??
2 2

258 posts in this topic

Thank you for your concise bibliography and cross reference. I have some corrections and additions you might be interested in:

58. Crime And Lusciousment...Featuring The Deadliest 38-23-38 Of Them All

30. It's A Gass, Lass should be It's A Gas, Lass!

28. Newest Misadventures Of Our Cuddly Little Cutie should be Newest Merry Misadventure Of Our Cuddly Little Cutie (handwritten in pencil on my copy is "1967 Male Annual")(Is it possible we are both right and there is a 67th story?)

50. A Racey Tale should be A Racy Tale

52. Scandinavian Sex Plot should be Scandinavian Sexplot ....Or Everything You Wanted To Know About Pussycat, But Were Afraid To Ask (Sexplot is one word in the title)

54. Venus And Venice should be Venus In Venice...Or Momma Mia! That'sa Some Spicy Signorina!

Edited by wpbooks

Since the question about the June '70 issue of Men came up again, and I think I asked about it awhile back on this thread, I'm finally posting a couple of scans.

Anybody recognize this story? I've looked for the magazine on eBay from time to time but still don't have a copy. I bought the page from Jim years ago. He said he enjoyed drawing this feature.

Pussycatpage4_zps76a1a854.jpg

On the back of the page:

Pussycatpage4back_zps72269fdc.jpg

I have a copy of the original printing, so I can confirm that the story was originally published in the August, 1970 issue of Men magazine. The info on the back of the page would reference the month that the book was actually shipped to news stands. Martin Goodman's publishing empire routinely cover dated its product two or three months beyond the actual on sale date. Marvel comics from that era were distributed the same way.

I've verified that I did indeed drop the word "Merry" from my entry on Male Annual 7. My apologies. Nice catch, WP! You're obviously the editor that I needed a while back.

Please delete the info in parentheses following the title from number 45, when you get a chance. You picked that up from one of my old posts, and I was mistaken.

I acquired a copy of the January, 1969 Male, after I was misinformed regarding the April, 1968 issue. It's verified Pussycat free. The June, 1970 issue of Men seems to be the holy grail, now.

I think that WP has the scan that he needed.

Went by the store I discussed earlier, and while I found about 8 issues of Men circa 1970-72, I was not able to find the 6/70 issue. I have another feeler out, but I'm now wondering if it might have been an unscheduled skip month for the magazine. Has anyone here actually seen even a picture of the issue?

Went by the store I discussed earlier, and while I found about 8 issues of Men circa 1970-72, I was not able to find the 6/70 issue. I have another feeler out, but I'm now wondering if it might have been an unscheduled skip month for the magazine. Has anyone here actually seen even a picture of the issue?

I may have a copy - I'll check when I get back from vacation next week. :cool:

You're very welcome, WP. I was happy to assist. Thanks to you as well.

In answer to your more recent question, I've never seen a cover image or other scan of the June, 1970 issue of Men. I've been watching eBay almost daily for about two years, and I've never seen a copy listed. Strange. Maybe Divad can solve the mystery, after he gets home.

When I conveyed the information that the missing Pussycat adventure was in an issue of Stag Magazine to my friend who had every other installment (I forgot to mention that he ended up having the final page of Mixed-Up Model, and one of the stories I had been looking for in his 'dupe' file), his reaction was one of surprise. He feels the reason he missed it was because it was in Stag and he never had seen one there before. Ergo, I'm thinking if Men 6/70 exists, or had a Pussycat, it would have been in his collection! Makes me think the search will be for naught or a duplicate. At this point I'd almost wager on it! Very much looking forward to the findings of Divad!!!

I believe we can now rest in the search for the NON-EXISTENT Men June 1970 issue. I confirmed this afternoon, after a visit to a store that specializes in back number magazines that Men May 1970 is Volume 19 Number 5 and July 1970 is Volume 19 Number 6. Therefore June 1970 was a skip month and it would appear that the number of Pussycat episodes is now complete at 66.

Nice detective work, WP! I'm sorry that you had to go to all of that effort. I actually own the May and July, 1970 issues, but I never thought to check their indicia. That also seems to explain why the 1970 Men Annual had a new story, while the Male and Stag Annuals had reprints that year. It Happened In Paris was probably originally intended for the nonexistent June issue.

The following may be the final version of the list of initial publications of all of the stories. Please refer to 50's posts for a comprehensive list that includes all of the reprintings that we've located.

Chronological Listing Of Pussycat Stories:

The Mirthful Misadventures Of A Merry, Mixed-Up Miss!

-Male Annual 3 (1965)

The Mirthful Misadventures Of A Naughty Nonsensical Nymphet!

-Stag Annual 3 (1966)

The Madly Mirthful Misadventures Of A Lively Little Lass!

-Male Annual 4 (1966)

The Cool and Carefree Capers Of A Curvy Cuddly Chick!

-Stag Annual 4 (1967)

The Madly Mirthful Misadventures Of A Most Generously-Endowed Modern Miss!

-Men Annual 1 (1967)

The Cavortin' Case Of The Booby-Trapped Bra!

-Male Annual 5 (1967)

The Mischievous Memoirs Of A Merry Little Miss!

-Male (March 1968)

The Capricious Capers Of A Curvy Cutie-Pie!

-Male (April 1968)

The Sizzlin' Saga Of A Secret Agent Swinger!

-Male (May 1968)

The Pin-Up Calendar Caper

-Male (June 1968)

America's Favorite Dynamite Blonde

-Male (July 1968)

Another Capricious Caper Of The Country's Most Cataclysmically Cuddlesome

Curvaceous Cutie!

-Men Annual 2 (1968)

Damsel In Disguise

-Stag Annual 5 (1968)

The Crazy Case Of The Crazy Cases!

-Male (Aug 1968)

The Bombshell And The Bank!

-Male Annual 6 (1968)

The Computer And The Cutie

-Male (Sept 1968)

The Mixed-Up Model

-Male (Oct 1968)

The Hidden Hippie Caper (and Everett centerfold)

-The Adventures of Pussycat (Oct 1968)

A Peach On The Beach

-Male (Nov 1968)

Frenzy In France!

-Male (Dec 1968)

- none in January -

The Spaceman And The Sweetie!

-Male (Feb 1969)

The Castaway Cutie

-Male (Mar 1969)

The Lady On The Late Show!

-Men (Apr 1969)

My Album

-Men (May 1969)

How Groovy Is My Movie

-Men (June 1969)

The Kid Flips Her Id!

-Men (July 1969)

Look Ma... I'm Flyin'!

-Stag Annual 6 (1969)

The Newest Merry Mis-Adventure Of Our Cuddly Little Cutie!

-Male Annual 7 (1969)

The Swingin' Statue!

-Men Annual 3 (1969)

It's A Gas, Lass!

-Men (Aug 1969)

The Lady Is A Star

-Men (Sept 1969)

The Gal Gets Her Goal!

-Men (Oct 1969)

For Better Or For Nurse

-Men (Nov 1969)

The Joke's On Her

-Men (Dec 1969)

"Twas The Night Before Xmas..."

-Men (Jan 1970)

Her Wild, Wild Wheels!

-Men (Feb 1970)

Two Weeks With Play

-Men (Mar 1970)

Pandemonium At The Company Picnic

-Men (Apr 1970)

Why The West Was Wild

-Men (May 1970)

- none in June -

But Don't Go Near the Water!

-Men (July 1970)

It Happened In Paris (The Crazy Capers Of Our Curviest Chick)

-Men Annual 4 (1970)

She Makes It With The Mafia!

-Men (Aug 1970)

The Hostess with the Mostest!

-Men (Sept 1970)

She's Out In Front!

-Men (Oct 1970)

No News Is Good Nudes!

-Men (Nov 1970)

Temptress In A Taxi! or, Caught With Her Flag Down!

-Men (Dec 1970)*

Sex And The Single Spy!

-Men (Jan 1971)

Circus Siren or, The Biggest Top Of Them All!

-Men (Feb 1971)

Bust Out At The Big House!

-Men (Mar 1971)

A Racy Tale

-Men (Apr 1971)

Hijack Havoc! Or, Foiled In The Fuselage!

-Men (May 1971)

Scandinavian Sexplot

-Men (June 1971)

Maid In Paris! or, The Hottest Jewels In Town!

-Men (July 1971)

Venus and Venice

-Men (Aug 1971)

My Fair Fraulein!

-Men (Sept 1971)

High Voltage! or, I Get a Charge Out of You!

-Men (Oct 1971)

I, A Spy!

-Men (Nov 1971)

Crime and Lusciousment!

-Men (Dec 1971)

A Two Round-Knockout! or, Saved by the Belle!

-Men (Jan 1972)

Cycle Siren, or, Hand Me That Wench!

-Men (Feb 1972)

The Sexpot and the Sultan

-Men (Mar 1972)

Bullets, Boodles, and Broads!

-Men (Apr 1972)

Vegas Vixen! or, The Gal With The Winning Pair!

-Men (May 1972)

The Phantom Of The Uproar!

-Men (June 1972)

Mobster Mayhem! or, The Most Chased Girl In Town!

-Men (July 1972)

Maid On A Mountain, or, Dig Those Peaks!

-Men (Aug 1972)

* = first with full creator credits

I'm surprised that your friend had never seen a Pussycat story in Stag, WP. Three of the stories reprinted in the one-shot were in previous Stag Annuals. He must have discovered the character in Male magazine, if he didn't purchase the Stags. I bet it was like Christmas for him, when the one-shot was published. A lot of the stories in it would have been new to him.

Judging by the way he had the file organized, it looked like he discovered the collected Marvel issue before he started clipping the strips. The only dupe he had from that magazine was the Hippie Caper strip. Also, the chap is 85+ years old and there may have been a memory burp in there somewhere, but he says he never bought Stag, just the Men/Male mags and Adventures Of Pussycat! Including The Adventures mag he batted 65 of 66, and for that he certainly made my day, month, year, etc!!!!

Also, I'm pretty sure he amassed the collection via used book stores rather than buying the mags off the stand as they came out. This guy prides himself on finding bargains, and those mags were pretty plentiful in second hand stores during the period they were published. In fact I worked at the store he frequented back in the day, a couple of decades later, and in the basement were piles and piles of that pulp. Only I wasn't aware of Pussycat at the time and wasn't too interested in the mags. All that stuff was probably taken to the dump and is now part of the landscape, sad to say......but in it's heyday, a run of Pussycat could probably have been completed via the place pretty easily!!!

Edited by wpbooks

I love it when someone gets in on the ground floor of something awesome - just think of all the people who picked up Fantastic Four #1 for cover price. The fact that your friend put his Pussycat collection together cost effectively is even more impressive.

Judging by the prices on some of the mags I saw in his collection that were still intact (the store's grease pencil price across the front cover), I would be surprised if he paid more than $20 for the whole 65 story batch, including the 35 cents for the Adventures of Pussycat mag! About what it cost me to photocopy and bind one set of the run at a local copy shop. Wild!

Edited by wpbooks