• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

I have word from one eyewitness...it really happened. At the '69 HoustonCon at the Ramada Inn. Hopefully someone can come up with the dealer's name.

[font:Times New Roman]I attended the con and somehow managed to miss that historic event! :o

I know California dealer Bud Plant was present because I hung out most of the weekend with Bud and Jerry Weist. I doubt it was Bud Plant, but it's entirely possible I suppose. [/font] hm

Phil Seuling - manhandling Superman #1

This seems a good place to share this link. From the days before CGC there were these funny guys that collected comic books, they read them, they handled them, they tossed them around, they brought stacks of them on TV!

Fun stuff and don't miss the surprise guest at the end.

Minneapolis (thumbs u

Is there something going on in Minneapolis Nov. 9th-10th that I don't know about? Surely you aren't just visiting our beautiful city in the middle of winter for fun. (You do know our winters average colder than those in Anchorage, right?)

Early Nov is the middle of winter in Minneapolis?? :o

I got a shout-out in the recent 'Superman Dailies '59 to '61' hardback. I guess if you live long enough, people start discovering or rediscovering some of the things you did thirty or forty years ago, which is what happened in this case. One of the authors/editors found a fanzine I did back '73 where I interviewed Mort Weisinger. Who'd a thunk it?

I'd love to make either the Houstoncon or the Oklahoma con one of these days. I saw some pics from an OK con a while back and I couldn't believe how many people I knew... it's probably been over 20 years since I went to one.

[font:Times New Roman]Hope to see fellow boardies at Son of Houstoncon. We should arrive at the Hilton tonight; feel free to PM me (no plans yet, but there may be a group get together for dinner/drinks). :hi:

Be prepared, I'll be documenting this momentous occasion for posterity (bribes encouraged). [/font] :grin:

Awesome. I think I went through the photos 3-4 times scanning the images for Atlas horror.

Not much Atlas horror.

Close up of WeirdPaper's booth.

HoustonCon05.jpg

Photos from the tenth annual FENCON, a fantasy & literary science fiction convention held in Big D this weekend (featured guests of honor included: Cory Doctorow, Heather Dale, Charles Vess, Tom Smith, Geoffrey A. Landis, Amber Benson, John A. Ringo). I figured folks here might find the SF crossover fandom interesting since, in addition to booksellers and costuming, there were GA pulp dealers set-up...

My wife (author Rachel Caine) interviewing our friend and colleague Amber Benson (actor, novelist, director)...

ECC1BA01-C07E-4FA2-974A-1510CB3D0CED-42038-00003085EFC1062F_zps1148f558.jpg

Fans starting to fill the auditorium for the art & charity auction (we ended up with over 100 bidders Sat. evening, including hecklers who also spent money)...

3A83A020-61A6-4767-9558-F06C7C13FAB8-42038-00003089CC95353F_zps44f6817f.jpg

Whipping the crowd into a frenzy or some semblance thereof...

32AB38D6-9655-4634-9FCF-9438DCDE4196-42038-00003089DEB9BAD6_zps8de5f3e0.jpg

04314869-6C57-4D10-9277-3DD7A532E6C4-42038-00003089E0DEFB71_zps223fe820.jpg

Our runner, Rhonda (aka Vanna during the auction) carrying items donated for the auction while wearing vampire bunny slippers...

6F50008E-4C55-453E-8AC2-CACCC9ADC29F-42038-00003089E4DABB4B_zps7ed082e0.jpg

Eight time HUGO award winning artist Brad Foster...

D7532615-6C94-41A5-8251-047426D18EEF-42038-000030C715C960BA_zpsb45c0af0.jpg

Young adult author's panel featuring (l-r) Michele Bardsley, Rosemary Clement-Moore, Rachel Caine, Amber Benson, Beverly A. Hale

a63564df-df49-4e42-b0d6-3b5e735ee554_zps8740b16c.jpg

Dealers Room shots...

CE289AF9-7C7A-4B78-AE1C-7F9ABDDF9676-42038-000030C70504F6E3_zpsdc2333a4.jpg

28573603-2151-4434-A493-4FB5594ACAC7-42038-000030C6F558216A_zps0e1e468a.jpg

More to come! (thumbs u

I found this site by accident, twice apparently. Was again looking for something totally different when I found myself staring back at me with comments about that Frazetta print behind me and guesses about who I was not. Not quite Bruce Hamilton. Was going to burst everyone's bubble, but I figured that someone would have figured me out if I went back through all the old posts. Sure enough, I eventually found Bart's. Should be a prize involved, but don't know what that would be. I also noticed that I had actually signed myself up here once before, but forgot that too. A mind is a terrible thing. Been having fun going through all these posts and notes from the conventions of the past. Used to be a big part of every Summer in the late Sixties and early Seventies going up to Dallas then Houston and a few in Oklahoma. Got to camp out with Bart on at least one of those treks. And the Frazetta poster was just a print on canvas. Bummer, huh? Probably still have that out in my storage shed somewhere....the vault that is slowly ending up on eBay. :) My wife loves the picture and I'll send it up to my recently graduated daughter in Dallas. Both love seeing the old Me, "Back In The Day". Seems like yesterday :)

I found this site by accident, twice apparently. Was again looking for something totally different when I found myself staring back at me with comments about that Frazetta print behind me and guesses about who I was not. Not quite Bruce Hamilton. Was going to burst everyone's bubble, but I figured that someone would have figured me out if I went back through all the old posts. Sure enough, I eventually found Bart's. Should be a prize involved, but don't know what that would be. I also noticed that I had actually signed myself up here once before, but forgot that too. A mind is a terrible thing. Been having fun going through all these posts and notes from the conventions of the past. Used to be a big part of every Summer in the late Sixties and early Seventies going up to Dallas then Houston and a few in Oklahoma. Got to camp out with Bart on at least one of those treks. And the Frazetta poster was just a print on canvas. Bummer, huh? Probably still have that out in my storage shed somewhere....the vault that is slowly ending up on eBay. :) My wife loves the picture and I'll send it up to my recently graduated daughter in Dallas. Both love seeing the old Me, "Back In The Day". Seems like yesterday :)

Hope to see you again at the Houston & Norman, Okla. "golden age" reunion conventions this fall (Son of HoustonCon & OAF-con).

Cheers,

The Cat-Man (aka DM) :hi:

Bumperino... :bump::bump::bump:

Well, I posted shots from the OAFcon in another thread a week ago, but Bart relayed some sad news and I figured this just might be the best place to share it.

Long time comic fan, collector, artist and creative talent in the film industry, Larry Latham passed away this week after a long bout with cancer.

Although in fragile health, he attended the OAFcon held in Norman, Oklahoma just ten days ago.

The photo provided by Bart Bush (below) of Bart, Larry & Robert A. Brown taken during the convention...

Image_zpsa839d7a3.jpg

While this thread focuses mostly on more uplifting aspects of fan history, discussing the passing of friends who were passionately involved in the hobby is also an essential part of appreciating the evolution of fandom.

In memorial, if you'd like to share any remembrances of Larry from better times (he was active in fandom since the 60's), please feel free to contribute your thoughts and/or images in this thread.

Thanks!

Farewell to a long-time fan, RIP my friend,

Cat