• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Southern Bastards from Image
2 2

989 posts in this topic

I love this book, but if they don't ditch the Walking Tall theme then I think it's pointless to talk about castings. Can't see Hollywood doing the "tough-guy-with-an-axe handle/bat" again. Honestly, I'm surprised Aaron even went there at all, pretty unoriginal for such a great writer.

Yeah I was certain some twist was waiting somewhere in there... I'm becoming less certain as time passes, but it may still happen. It is just so very similar to the old 'Walking Tall' / 'Billy Jack' movies that it has left me scratching my head.

I loved Billy Jack and all of the Walking Tall movies except the last one. Those movies are around 40 to 50 years old and I would venture a guess that most people from the latest generation are unfamiliar with them. I think even if this book were exactly the same, it would be worth a read. Its like McDonalds, I'm loving it. (thumbs u

I love this book, but if they don't ditch the Walking Tall theme then I think it's pointless to talk about castings. Can't see Hollywood doing the "tough-guy-with-an-axe handle/bat" again. Honestly, I'm surprised Aaron even went there at all, pretty unoriginal for such a great writer.

Yeah I was certain some twist was waiting somewhere in there... I'm becoming less certain as time passes, but it may still happen. It is just so very similar to the old 'Walking Tall' / 'Billy Jack' movies that it has left me scratching my head.

I loved Billy Jack and all of the Walking Tall movies except the last one. Those movies are around 40 to 50 years old and I would venture a guess that most people from the latest generation are unfamiliar with them. I think even if this book were exactly the same, it would be worth a read. Its like McDonalds, I'm loving it. (thumbs u

I understand what you're saying, but let's not forget that it's not that clean of a slate...The Rock ruined Walking Tall for a whole new generation lol

I understand what you're saying, but let's not forget that it's not that clean of a slate...The Rock ruined Walking Tall for a whole new generation lol

100% agree with that. That was the last one. lol

Is this a limited series? I see no solicitation after the 4th issue. Are they taking a break and coming back with another arc?

I hve #4 coming out in August and TPB coming out September. October solicitations haven't been posted yet.

I grew up on that type of movie too, so I do like it, I'm just surprised at exactly how similar it all is thus far! Of course, Scalped was not a whole lot different when you think about it, so go figure.

Is this a limited series? I see no solicitation after the 4th issue. Are they taking a break and coming back with another arc?
It's definitely planned to run for more than this story arc. In the editorial they said they have a lot of bastards they want to introduce. They might not be able to keep up a steady monthly pace though, and may take a few months off between story arcs.

This comic is awesome. Getting to the point that the comics I used to enjoy pale so much in comparison I'm no longer excited to read them. Can't wait for the next issue. I don't think I've been this excited about a new series since Stumptown.

#3 was pretty solid.

Only concern is that there will need to be more than meets the eye with the coach. After a bit, the story will get pretty repetitive.

But based on Aaron's past work, it's probably a pointless concern.

Patrick

I'm thinking the characters may not be in for the long haul. It will be like the True Detective series on TV, where every season is an entirely new cast. I'm wondering if every story arc in Southern Bastards will have a whole new cast?

I'm thinking the characters may not be in for the long haul. It will be like the True Detective series on TV, where every season is an entirely new cast. I'm wondering if every story arc in Southern Bastards will have a whole new cast?

idk, my guess is that there are issues (or even whole arcs) that deviate from the main characters to non-essential characters whose purpose is to better define the setting in which the story is. I'm thinking specifically of what Aaron did in the Scalped arc that didn't have Dash at all & had seemingly random stories like [[[[ SPOILER]]]] the old couple whose house got destroyed.

I would be suprised if the background he's built/building for Earl was going to end up discarded or even pushed aside.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work or anything like that, I'd just be suprised.

That being said, I love this series thus far :headbang:

Edit: He could very well do arcs or spinoffs that would add to the greater background. But my guess would be the focus comes back to Earl. 2c

Edited by AntBrown

I just hope it stays good, I personally wouldn't mind being introduced to new characters every arc like Criminal does.

I haven't been this excited for a new series in a while. Well, not since Afterlife With Archie actually, but besides that, all the way back to Stumptown.