• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,225 posts in this topic

A nice one sold on E-bay not too long ago and someone posted a pretty solid copy recently (Jayman?).

It is a doozy to find above VG/F.

Yeah, 27 is hard in HG but this was the best I could find so far of this issue.

Too bad about those vertical spine creases...

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds26_zpsbfdb0499.jpg

:applause:

mm

I've always thought of JIUW as being the flagship of Atlas Comics, or at least of their Sci-Fi and later horror group.

Although not recent purchases, I have a nice little collection of their pre and some post code output.

These two were somewhat harder to find than most. Notice that the Science Fiction logo in the upper left corner of #6 was later replaced by the skull 'n crossbones, as shown on #13.

2rfavc1.jpg

17abll.jpg

I've always thought of JIUW as being the flagship of Atlas Comics, or at least of their Sci-Fi and later horror group.

Although not recent purchases, I have a nice little collection of their pre and some post code output.

These two were somewhat harder to find than most. Notice that the Science Fiction logo in the upper left corner of #6 was later replaced by the skull 'n crossbones, as shown on #13.

2rfavc1.jpg

17abll.jpg

JIUW 13 has such a bizarre cover, and is a bear to find in high grade.

A nice one sold on E-bay not too long ago and someone posted a pretty solid copy recently (Jayman?).

Oh yeah! THATS a horror cover.

And translucent hands I believe...

Plus I love me some precode teeth.

Those translucent hands really add that extra special detail that puts this cover over the top. Anderson used the same technique on the hands on Marvel Tales 125.

Those translucent hands really add that extra special detail that puts this cover over the top. Anderson used the same technique on the hands on Marvel Tales 125.

Here's Marvel Tales #125 for comparison. Yup. Same ghoul.

MarvelTales125.jpg

Edited by vaultkeeper

Here's Marvel Tales #125 for comparison. Yup. Same ghoul.

MarvelTales125.jpg

What a great cover! How could you not pick this one off the newsstand back in the day and read about the "Horror House"! :applause:

What a great cover! How could you not pick this one off the newsstand back in the day and read about the "Horror House"! :applause:

I'll tell you how...Those types of covers used to scare the daylights out of me when I saw them at the newstand, in the early '50's.

But there was also the allure to open one up and look at the forbidden contents...

I'll tell you how...Those types of covers used to scare the daylights out of me when I saw them at the newstand, in the early '50's.

But there was also the allure to open one up and look at the forbidden contents...

And that's what would've got me every time. Hook, line and sinker! lol