• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

Because when I see someone TAKE from this community in a time of need and not really intend to GIVE back it makes me want to :sick: .

THAT is why I do it.

You shouldn't take it upon yourself to speak for the community. If you gave to help him out, you have more of an argument though I still would think it in bad form.

He doesn't speak for the community but he does speak for this thread because he started it, put the effort into policing it, spent hours crafting rules to keep people from taking advantage and made some decisions in the best interest of the thread that were potentially unpopular. Harvey has the gonads to call a spade a spade and he hasn't backed down in the face of opposition.

So now that I've contributed to the drama, I'll add a RAK to be positive:

Crossed Volume 1 TPB

This is the first original Crossed story. It collects the first 12 issues of the series and completes the story. (The follow up series have different characters.) So you don't need to know any prior knowledge and you don't need to buy any other TPB to finish the story. (thumbs u

It's a violent version of a zombie story and in my opinion the best Crossed story. Even though the series is known for the violence, the 1st volume had a good horror survival story. If you wish the Walking Dead had more action, or you like horror movies claim it. 2c

CrossedTPBsmaller_zpsabc09e31.jpg

I would like to add to this RAK. After you read Crossed Vol 1 you are going to want Vol. 2. :) So whomever chooses the above RAK will get the below RAK from me automatically.

CrossedVol2TPB.jpg

Because when I see someone TAKE from this community in a time of need and not really intend to GIVE back it makes me want to :sick: .

THAT is why I do it.

You shouldn't take it upon yourself to speak for the community. If you gave to help him out, you have more of an argument though I still would think it in bad form.

He doesn't speak for the community but he does speak for this thread because he started it, put the effort into policing it, spent hours crafting rules to keep people from taking advantage and made some decisions in the best interest of the thread that were potentially unpopular. Harvey has the gonads to call a spade a spade and he hasn't backed down in the face of opposition.

Those instances of board charity didn't happen in this thread. In fact, they had nothing to do with this thread. Harvey can speak out on subpar offers in the context of this thread as he is the thread moderator. I may not agree with those methods either, but that would be termed 'speaking for the thread.' But, hopefully, the people involved in helping others wouldn't want their goodwill used as leverage against the recipient. That's all I will have to say on this. I did not like this tactic at all.

Okay, here's my offer: :eek:

option #1:

Fantastic Four # 40, F

Fantastic Four # 49, G, (the copy I purchased as a kid)

Journey into Mystery # 110, F or F- some tanning

Journey into Mystery # 111, F-

FF40_f_zps893c1fef.jpg

FF40_b_zpsae16218c.jpg

FF49copyb_f_zps8aee54bf.jpg

FF49copyb2_b_zps15e437a2.jpg

JIM110_f_zpse1047e7e.jpg

JIM110_b_zps9d23f2e3.jpg

JIM111_f_zps501213a8.jpg

JIM111_b_zps1f15054d.jpg

Option #2:

Fantastic Four # 49, F

Strange Tales # 160, VF+

Sgt. Fury Annual #2, VF

FF49_f_zpsf2f35e03.jpg

FF49_b_zps7d7d1203.jpg

StrangeTales160_f_zpsbbee468e.jpg

StrangeTales160_b_zps9e8af762.jpg

SgtfuryAn2_f_zpsf35238fc.jpg

SgtfuryAn2_b_zps84461bc1.jpg

Wait...I missed an ASM #50??????????

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Yeah, but it was in poor condition and only worth $40-$50.

:jokealert:

I know you're joking, but the value of that book was way off. I sold one here on the boards for $125 that was in similar condition if not worse.

The book moves pretty quickly.

Wait...I missed an ASM #50??????????

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Yeah, but it was in poor condition and only worth $40-$50.

:jokealert:

I know you're joking, but the value of that book was way off. I sold one here on the boards for $125 that was in similar condition if not worse.

The book moves pretty quickly.

It sure did. ;)

THAT is why I do it.

Sorry I'm going to make a comment on this back and forth…

1) As someone who is low income and can't spend a ton of money, I wouldn't take an offer in the thread. I know that I in turn could not be generous back and I come in here mostly because it is a community thing and there is a lot of fun discussion. The person that accepts an offer should be ready to be equally generous or they shouldn't be accepting offers - i.e. why I don't take offers.

2) On the reverse, someones offer shouldn't be called a joke. Harvey created a system that would allow the thread to correct itself. The veto power should have been used and the thread should move along. The public shaming in here is why new people won't join. Let the system and thread police itself with the very rules, but don't mock someone when everyone already knows/knew the offer wasn't going to work.

Man, it's rough being in the hot seat and waiting to see if my offer gets taken.

I haven't been this nervous since I found myself alone with Stacey in the Florida woods, and the mosquitoes were biting my butt...

It will get taken. You might have to toss in some cash, though. A pile of $10s and $20s usually does it.

Or a stack of uclebenjamins, get it?