• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

If I put something up that wasn't taken within 4 hours I'd change it that's just me

Some people say that well we're just tapped out of participants or people are afraid to participate but every time say an ASM 300 gets posted it gets snapped right up.....

Your making it seem like people have to post up a ASM 300 or a ASM 129 to get an offer accepted.

I didn't and my offer was taken within 5 minutes.

A good offer will always be taken quickly no matter what it is comprised of.

If I put something up that wasn't taken within 4 hours I'd change it that's just me

Some people say that well we're just tapped out of participants or people are afraid to participate but every time say an ASM 300 gets posted it gets snapped right up.....

Your making it seem like people have to post up a ASM 300 or a ASM 129 to get an offer accepted.

This

Maybe adjusting the veto rules a bit?

Allow the person 24 hours before handing out a veto. This will give people time to adjust their offers without fear of a strike.

Like with mine, there were a lot of people who PM'd me and posted on here that they would have taken one of my offers...they just didn't get a chance to see it because it was vetoed in about an hour.

Give people a chance and it may bring more people in.

Well, this is going well.

Is there actually an offer up, or are we participants all still waiting until the 4 weeks are up.

After the last few days, I doubt if too many new participants are keen to venture in.

So what is for offer atm?

First. Page. Second. Post. :taptaptap:

And comments like "I doubt if too many new participants are keen to venture in." - doesn't that have the effect of making it seem like this thread is :ohnoez: ?.

Just because there is a system in place to prevent people from taking advantage of others doesn't mean ANYONE should be afraid of jumping in if you're honestly trying.

You should feel it in your gut when you offer up something. It's something you care for and part of you doesn't want to offer up, but you do. NOT something that is just taking up space and you want to dump it because it's good enough. It's not always about $, but no one wants to feel that they have to choose items they feel someone is drop shipping to them from Amazon so the offeror can claim a nice offering themselves.

If someone cares about their offering and cares about giving back to the community they have nothing to worry about. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. People should want and care to have their offer claimed and maybe that means switching it up once in awhile? But please - try to keep the comments about how awful this thread is to new participants and the dictatorial nature of it's running to a minimum because they're not helping the thread. (thumbs u

+1

You're doing a great job moderating this thread. It's the same people over and over with the drama, and its not good when other boardies keep seeing 200+ posts daily without the offer changing. People aren't reading the whole thread, they are just assuming drama.

No way you've tapped all the participants. This thread has over 58,000 views! :sumo:

However, you may have tapped all the people who post in this thread 10 times a day. ;)

I've been lurking and wanting to participate, but haven't been online in time to claim offers that I've been interested in. I'm firmly in favor of the 1 month rule. I did the PIF thread 1/2 dozen times and my offers were always claimed quickly. Most were 20 minutes or less, but during that time I kept refreshing the thread because I cared if my offer was taken. I wasn't going to let it sit for days. No one is saying you have to put up an ASM 300 or an ASM 129, what HarveySwick is saying for the 1,000th time is they are looking for an effort. Putting up an offer and letting it sit for days is within "the rules" but is not really putting forth an effort.

So now that I've contributed to the drama, I'll add a RAK to be positive:

Crossed Volume 1 TPB

This is the first original Crossed story. It collects the first 12 issues of the series and completes the story. (The follow up series have different characters.) So you don't need to know any prior knowledge and you don't need to buy any other TPB to finish the story. (thumbs u

It's a violent version of a zombie story and in my opinion the best Crossed story. Even though the series is known for the violence, the 1st volume had a good horror survival story. If you wish the Walking Dead had more action, or you like horror movies claim it. 2c

CrossedTPBsmaller_zpsabc09e31.jpg

Allow the person 24 hours before handing out a veto. This will give people time to adjust their offers without fear of a strike.

Like with mine, there were a lot of people who PM'd me and posted on here that they would have taken one of my offers...they just didn't get a chance to see it because it was vetoed in about an hour.

It its my understanding that this thread was set up a little different than the PIF thread (which is still ongoing) where the offers are intended to meet or exceed the previous offer. I personally felt that your offers would have been accepted with open arms in the PIF thread but did not meet or exceed the previous offer so a veto seemed necessary. I was more than happy to give you more then an hour but you said to me you did not have the ability to significantly increase your offer so there was no point in waiting any longer. If this thread quickly becomes another PIF then I have no doubt Harvey will close it down. I don't want that and I hope you don't either.

It its my understanding that this thread was set up a little different than the PIF thread (which is still ongoing) where the offers are intended to meet or exceed the previous offer. I personally felt that your offers would have been accepted with open arms in the PIF thread but did not meet or exceed the previous offer so a veto seemed necessary. I was more than happy to give you more then an hour but you said to me you did not have the ability to significantly increase your offer so there was no point in waiting any longer. If this thread quickly becomes another PIF then I have no doubt Harvey will close it down. I don't want that and I hope you don't either.

No I don't...but it does sting a little to hear a bunch of people say that my offer was good enough.

No I don't...but it does sting a little to hear a bunch of people say that my offer was good enough.

And I think you saw that most of your offers would make great RAKs and there are some great RAKs that have come available for you to enjoy in return. There is always a way to give in this thread.

I think some were confused that your RAK was the same as your "offer". It was not. You wanted people to choose from "stuff" that one could easily find readily available via Amazon. Choose ONE tpb is not going to cut it or even provide some semblance of "giving back" when that IS your offer after you just claimed an ASM #50! That's insulting to think that is ok. It was suggested to you by both 1Cool via PM and me here in the thread to combine some or ALL of your options and make that offer. You refused and when you knew a strike was coming you tried to cheat the system and rescind your offer behind the mask of poverty and feigned the role of "victim". :eyeroll:

Then when you got a suspension from the strike and I politely reminded you of that, you disregarded the rules and went ahead with your RAK anyway. :facepalm:

I am so tempted; the copy of GL #40 I bought as a kid was in a stack of books "borrowed" by a babysitter - never returned :(

Grab it man. You have been around long enough to have something you can offer up to the masses. Kav is just itching to use his offer.

…now I get it. I was confused when everyone kept suggesting that I combine the offers…

I AM pulling from Amazon. I do not actually own any of those items. But before everyone gets up in arms about that, again keep in mind that that buying those items still hurts. I do not have $50 to just spend willy-nilly, but I wanted to. Just because I did not own them does not mean they are any less of an offer.

That's why I could not combine them. I really did not have more than $50 to spend.

…now I get it. I was confused when everyone kept suggesting that I combine the offers…

I AM pulling from Amazon. I do not actually own any of those items. But before everyone gets up in arms about that, again keep in mind that that buying those items still hurts. I do not have $50 to just spend willy-nilly, but I wanted to. Just because I did not own them does not mean they are any less of an offer.

That's why I could not combine them. I really did not have more than $50 to spend.

And you see nothing wrong with this? Didn't this same community just show you an outpouring of support and charity for your cat?! (shrug)

How could claiming a very generous offer of an ASM #50 and drop shipping something very minimal from Amazon be viewed as "giving back"?

:popcorn:

Okay, here we go with my first-ever Giving Tree Offer...

Option #1 - Green Lantern #40, VG (origin Guardians and Infinite Earths) and

- Detective Comics #411, Fr to G- (1st Talia)

GL40A.jpg

GL40B.jpg

TEC411.jpg

TEC411B.jpg

Option #2 - Amazing Spider-Man #24 G/VG (1965)

- Marvel Super-Heroes 13 G (1st Ms Marvel)

- New Mutants Annual #2 (1st Psylocke)

ASM24.jpg

ASM24B.jpg

MSH13.jpg

MSH13B.jpg

NEWMUTANN2.jpg

What the heck. I'll take option #1 :takeit:

I think some were confused that your RAK was the same as your "offer". It was not. You wanted people to choose from "stuff" that one could easily find readily available via Amazon. Choose ONE tpb is not going to cut it or even provide some semblance of "giving back" when that IS your offer after you just claimed an ASM #50! That's insulting to think that is ok. It was suggested to you by both 1Cool via PM and me here in the thread to combine some or ALL of your options and make that offer. You refused and when you knew a strike was coming you tried to cheat the system and rescind your offer behind the mask of poverty and feigned the role of "victim". :eyeroll:

Then when you got a suspension from the strike and I politely reminded you of that, you disregarded the rules and went ahead with your RAK anyway. :facepalm:

You are still not getting it.

Read what I have bolded.

Now read this carefully….I did not know 1Cool was going to give me a veto right then and there. I knew he could potentially do it at any time, but not at that exact moment. I rescinded on my own…not trying to beat 1Cool to the punch. He never said in a PM "I going to give you a veto now" and then have me quickly rescind.

Are you getting this because you keep making me sound like I'm manipulating the system and I will not tolerate it. I have been polite and easy going this whole time but your inability to read and understand what I have posted more than twice now is getting really irritating.

..and yes, I did say "People rescind to avoid the veto"…I mean that in the general term. Eventually everyone who rescinded would probably have gotten a veto, so they all rescind to avoid it.

…how many more times am I really going to have to repeat this?

And you see nothing wrong with this? Didn't this same community just show you an outpouring of support and charity for your cat?! (shrug)

How could claiming a very generous offer of an ASM #50 and drop shipping something very minimal from Amazon be viewed as "giving back"?

:popcorn:

…then you clearly do not understand. This community did a fantastic job helping me out and it really changed my opinion of these boards.

How is it that you do not understand that $50 items from me right now is "giving back"? I was happy with my offers and was honestly satisfied, especially when everyone told me I got the wrong end of the stick on this. Who cares where it comes from? You never gave me the benefit of the doubt. You instantly saw what I was offering and started laughing, not realizing that maybe this all was the best I could do.

..again, not everyone can offer an ASM #300. Just because it seems weak to you does not make it weak for everyone else.

I would've quit while i was ahead... :facepalm:

Look, it would be fun to participate, but there are some serious offers being tossed around in this thread. I've got a low grade Atlas Black Knight 3 I've been thinking about digging out, but since what I have on hand is only Rak-worthy, I'm not jumping in just yet. It's still fun to watch the show, and I'm enjoying this thread immensely.