• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Great choice if it is Phoenix he's a great actor, got the right look and he is certainly strange.

Totally agree.

He is obviously not a "no name," but could be great since basically off the map since "Walk the Line" in 05 (such great flick and acting job) until 2014 now with "Her" (With two minor flicks in between)

Big Marvel fan here, not so big Dr Strange fan. I always felt he came out was too early... he has weird early 70's all over him

Yeah, I'm curious how they'll handle him for a contemporary audience. In the 70's he was intentionally made to be trippy and they were dropping references to Tom Wolfe; the Merry Pranksters were said to be reading Dr. Strange, and it was popular among college students for it's cosmic, "out there" stories.

It's also the first truly arcane movie for the Marvel cineverse. Everything else has been science fiction, along with Thor as member of alien species. I think they could do a cool occult tie-in with Hydra and Captain America films to make it work...eager to see.

Big Marvel fan here, not so big Dr Strange fan. I always felt he came out was too early... he has weird early 70's all over him

Yeah, I'm curious how they'll handle him for a contemporary audience. In the 70's he was intentionally made to be trippy and they were dropping references to Tom Wolfe; the Merry Pranksters were said to be reading Dr. Strange, and it was popular among college students for it's cosmic, "out there" stories.

It's also the first truly arcane movie for the Marvel cineverse. Everything else has been science fiction, along with Thor as member of alien species. I think they could do a cool occult tie-in with Hydra and Captain America films to make it work...eager to see.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1179195-doctor_strange/

Probably the same way he is dealt with here. It wasn't trippy at all. I was a little disappointed at the missing trippy actually :)

well he was nominated for an oscar in between; i wouldn't necessarily call that "off the map"

11 posts since 2005 - and you come out of the word work to point that out for #12! doh!

lol

You are totally correct. I'm sorry, I just meant more mainstream-bigger flicks like "Walk the Line," since 2005.

Hollywood: please let me review the -script to weed out the BS and keep you on track. I'll do it for free and I guarantee my efforts. I am the only person who has literally read every single book on screenplay writing and film directing-2-3 times each. I know the pitfalls.

Doctor strange was another counter culture hero like the Hulk in the 60's he lived in Greenwich Village in the early 60s which was a mecca for music, hippie counter culture, and mind expanding drugs. Ditko's cosmic art was certainly psychedelic lsd trippy inspired as well as just flat out awesome.

From wiki

The stories showcased surrealistic mystical landscapes and increasingly vivid visuals that helped make the feature a favorite of college students. Comics historian Mike Benton wrote,

"The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes."[3]

"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."[4]

"Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare

well he was nominated for an oscar in between; i wouldn't necessarily call that "off the map"

11 posts since 2005 - and you come out of the word work to point that out for #12! doh!

lol

You are totally correct. I'm sorry, I just meant more mainstream-bigger flicks like "Walk the Line," since 2005.

Not really fair to give him a face slap for that.... now he might not post for another year...

Joaquin Phoenix in Contention for Doctor Strange Role?

---------------------------

Though a previous report indicated Marvel Studios was looking at both Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy to take on the lead role in Doctor Strange, TheWrap now brings word that three-time Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix is being considering for the role. No deal is in place but check back here for any future announcements, which might come Saturday evening during Marvel Studios’ San Diego Comic-Con panel.

---------------------------

I called it :acclaim:

2nd post down

Doctor strange was another counter culture hero like the Hulk in the 60's he lived in Greenwich Village in the early 60s which was a mecca for music, hippie counter culture, and mind expanding drugs. Ditko's cosmic art was certainly psychedelic lsd trippy inspired as well as just flat out awesome.

From wiki

The stories showcased surrealistic mystical landscapes and increasingly vivid visuals that helped make the feature a favorite of college students. Comics historian Mike Benton wrote,

"The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes."[3]

"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."[4]

"Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare

Good Boomers....... :whee:

Seriously though, that was an interesting blurp from Wikipedia (thumbs u