• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

You think the woman on the cover is Insane?...She's not insane, the person who paid $1,725 for that book is insane... lol

The black queen chants

the funeral march,

The cracked brass bells will ring;

To summon back the fire witch

To the court of the crimson king.

Maybe she's a 21st Century Schizoid woman?

lol

She's a moon child who talks to the wind? Confusion will be her epitaph?

OK, I'm confused...I can understand collecting Marilyn Monroe covers because they are so valuable and she was an icon, or even Liz Taylor...but what is the deal with Alice? Is she a relative or something? What am I missing?

What you are missing:

(1) Dimples! Dramatic, delicious, delectable, distinguishing....dimples!

(2) She's probably the single most recognizable face to appear on multiple photo covers for romance comics.

(3) She's super cute.....a real dollface... Dollface with dimples...

(4) See #2.

(5) Do not talk about Dimple Club.

(6) DO NOT TALK ABOUT DIMPLE CLUB.

My mom was cute too...and in the movies...but she would be around the same age as Alice today...I'm just sayin'... lol Alice is still living, and in Pasadena, CA if any of you want to take her some flowers sometime... hm Maybe you could get your picture taken with her, and we could see before and after shots...maybe we could play some old Montavanni records too...what a hoot... :o

Edited by tricolorbrian

My mom was cute too...and in the movies...but she would be around the same age as Alice today...I'm just sayin'... lol Alice is still living, and in Pasadena, CA if any of you want to take her some flowers sometime... hm Maybe you could get your picture taken with her, and we could see before and after shots...maybe we could play some old Montavanni records too...what a hoot... :o

Must.... resist... urge.... to say something snarky... in reference to.... your.... mom....

14478546147_4e1ee61aa0_b.jpg

I think ZI saw a $1700 bid on this one. Was that the final?

$1725 according to Brian.

Another strong finish for another eBay copy tonight. It's official: this book could potentially bypass(gulp) GCE12 as romance book #1 ?!?!

Another strong finish for another eBay copy tonight. It's official: this book could potentially bypass(gulp) GCE12 as romance book #1 ?!?!

Not really. A GCE 12 in this condition would fetch many thousands. A MRA 50 in 3.5 recently went for $130.00. No GCE 12 would ever go for so little.

Not really. A GCE 12 in this condition would fetch many thousands. A MRA 50 in 3.5 recently went for $130.00. No GCE 12 would ever go for so little.

I request the occasional use of titles instead of acronyms so those of us with spotty memories can more readily understand the discussion.

Ok, fair enough. But it seems this book has exploded. As a "casual" romance collector, I used to think only certain Baker covers, or the Negro Romance issues, (and another personal favorite "Forbidden Love" which seems to have 'dipped') used to be the only romance issues to command 1k or more mint-poor.

I request the occasional use of titles instead of acronyms so those of us with spotty memories can more readily understand the discussion.

GCE 12 = Giant Comics Editions 12; the one with the (apparent) prostitute on the cover. At this point, it seems easily to be the most valuable romance book, largely due to attracting collectors who otherwise ignore romance books.

And while I'm on the subject, is there a DR. Love copy? Paging Dr.Love....

and you can find Dr. Love's (SOLD) copy on the Bay. My turn! :whee:

romanticadventuresf100_zpsda423762.jpg

RomanticAdventures50bc100_zpsc9cf0a0f.jpg

RomanticAdventures50intfrnt_zps6d69f447.jpg

RomanticAdventures50intback_zpsa648c6c7.jpg

RomanticAdventures50intbackotp_zps14e551a9.jpg

Great copy. I don't see it. Did it sell already? hm

Indeed!
Congrats! That didn't take long! :applause:

I can see one problem here - you don't have an MRA 50 anymore... :lol: (or maybe you do?)

Been watching this thread for a long time and was wondering when people were going to start spilling the secret cool books

MRA 49 is another very neat one, which I personally prefer over 50 (which obviously has the crossover horror appeal). I have a 49, but it's hard to find these books for sale

(Technically, "Romantic Adventures" without the "My")

I can see one problem here - you don't have an MRA 50 anymore... :lol: (or maybe you do?)

MRA 49 is another very neat one, which I personally prefer over 50 (which obviously has the crossover horror appeal). I have a 49, but it's hard to find these books for sale

Quite right, Duke. That was my one and only. No free lunch, eh? But I do get some consolation from my 49. Not as nice condition, but not too shabby either.

The Big 4 Weird ACG books are treasured by romance collectors, and as treasure, they must be hunted. Challenge accepted!

MyRomanticAdventures49fc100_zpsb45de361.jpg