• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Powell's City of Books is a book lover's paradise, the largest used and new bookstore in the world. Located in downtown Portland, Oregon, and occupying an entire city block, the City stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles.

Each month, the Basil Hallward Gallery (located upstairs in the Pearl Room) hosts a new art exhibit, as well as dozens of author events featuring acclaimed writers, artists, and thinkers such as Roddy Doyle, Joyce Carol Oates, Michael Chabon, Annie Leibovitz, and President Jimmy Carter.

The City's Rare Book Room gathers autographed first editions and other collectible volumes for readers in search of a one-of-a-kind treasure.

Thanks for the info. :applause:

I'm definitely going to try to get to all those places.

Powell's City of Books is a book lover's paradise, the largest used and new bookstore in the world. Located in downtown Portland, Oregon, and occupying an entire city block, the City stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles.

Each month, the Basil Hallward Gallery (located upstairs in the Pearl Room) hosts a new art exhibit, as well as dozens of author events featuring acclaimed writers, artists, and thinkers such as Roddy Doyle, Joyce Carol Oates, Michael Chabon, Annie Leibovitz, and President Jimmy Carter.

The City's Rare Book Room gathers autographed first editions and other collectible volumes for readers in search of a one-of-a-kind treasure.

Thanks for the info. :applause:

I'm definitely going to try to get to all those places.

A friend of mine worked at the university in Portland and she took me to Powell's book store. I also visited some of the waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge. I ate lots of grilled salmon while on the trip but I think it was mostly while in Vancouver.

have picked up a few from Lloyd & TONS of inspiration

mushjun.JPG

after 2 newbies come in - updated group shot...

Spectacular collection, Pat. (worship)

Love that the "Thing From Another World" is in the mix! :applause:

In from my UK pal, 2 SVG’s (Solid VG)- almost my fave grade as one can afford and one can read with some impunity.

Across the Ages by JR Fearn, Scion 1952, cover Norman Light

“Jeffrey Collins…gains an ancient secret which destroyed Atlantis…which enables him to become dictator of the solar system. Was ‘Glimpse’ in Feb 21 1952 Star Weekly. A superb piece of storytelling…one of the best Stattens.” (H&H)

The Renegade Star by JR Fearn, Scion 1951, cover Ron Turner

"When the Solar System is doomed to…destruction by the close passage of a renegade star, super scientist Evelyn Stokes is Earth's only chance... An audacious novel that sends Earth on a titanic voyage through the universe…expanded and rewritten version of 'The Blue Infinity,' from September 1935 ASTOUNDING.” (H&H)

+ updated group shot

img7750.jpg

img7760.jpg

mushjun.JPG

In from my UK pal, 2 SVG’s (Solid VG)- almost my fave grade as one can afford and one can read with some impunity.

Across the Ages by JR Fearn, Scion 1952, cover Norman Light

“Jeffrey Collins…gains an ancient secret which destroyed Atlantis…which enables him to become dictator of the solar system. Was ‘Glimpse’ in Feb 21 1952 Star Weekly. A superb piece of storytelling…one of the best Stattens.” (H&H)

The Renegade Star by JR Fearn, Scion 1951, cover Ron Turner

"When the Solar System is doomed to…destruction by the close passage of a renegade star, super scientist Evelyn Stokes is Earth's only chance... An audacious novel that sends Earth on a titanic voyage through the universe…expanded and rewritten version of 'The Blue Infinity,' from September 1935 ASTOUNDING.” (H&H)

+ updated group shot

img7750.jpg

img7760.jpg

mushjun.JPG

I hereby declare these publications to be National Treasures and demand their immediate return to the motherland.

When ‘Across the Ages’ showed up yesterday weighing in at a cool 96 pages it looked like an easy read. And old JR, with workmanlike prose and wondrous plotting, weaves quite a yarn.

The Star Weekly was THE entertainment source in rural Canada those days, and was such a big hit with the womenfolk that editorial choice and packaging catered to them. Fearn, with his Golden Amazon tales and others like Glimpse, brought SF to a new audience that responded with great enthusiasm…

glimpse.jpg

Most of the 'mainstream' novels (just about all but JRF) look lackluster, but the Amazons (at least half a dozen) and others by him worthwhile all through 1950s. (ps- don't own the Stars)

TriPwr.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

Nice!Something new to look for at the thrift,though I would have picked up any book with covers like that regardless.

Just recently found a box of the ACE double series in trash actually.Best find in a while.

Beautiful stuff though pc.....this thread now on my top three!!

Mind my manners,almost forgot to say thank you!

Edited by porcupine48