• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

IN addition to the reasons that he states, there is also the added desirability of owning the first appearance of Captain America over an issue '1' of a character that had already been out for a bit.

None of the other big-time GA books have the combination Cap #1 has:

*No.1 issue of a series devoted to that specific superhero.

*First appearance of a classic superhero.

*Origin of a classic superhero.

*First appearance of that superhero's arch nemesis (Red Skull).

*Classic cover.

*Impressive cover artistically/visually.

Action #1 -- an anthology series, one hero story, classic but artistically simple cover.

Tec #27 -- an anthology series, one hero story, no origin whatsoever.

Superman #1 -- no 1st app., mostly reprinted material, no notable villains.

Batman #1 -- not the 1st app., of the title character.

Marvel #1 -- No top-tier characters, no noteworthy villains.

In those respects, no other GA book is in Cap #1's league. And the combination of factors listed above are, to me, much more than "Oh yeah, that's neat" kind of stuff.

You say that in "those respects, no other GA book is in Cap #1's league", and that may be true based on the criteria that you defined, however based on the criteria I might define the same could be said about Action #1...

I don't usually put this much thought into ranking the top books based on personal desirability, but here goes...

Although I actually perform a calculation, I suppose that I typically implicitly look at the following criteria, in the order shown, when ranking the desirability of the best of the best Superhero books:

My highest weighted criteria:

(1) First Appearance of 1st Tier Superhero

(2) Cover Related: 1st cover appearance of Superhero &/or Classic Cover

(3) 1st time origin story told?

Bonus points if the book has this stuff:

(4) Arch Nemesis included?

(5) Is it a #1 issue of a book that has one or more solo stories in every issue for the Superhero in question; a bit of a bonus if the entire book is devoted to the Superhero in question

(6) Other noteworthy factors not covered above

I suppose I then implicitly assign ratings to each of the criterion above and then multiply those rankings by the applicable criteria weighting in order to arrive at the overall ranking of a given book

Based on the criteria I have identified above:

Action #1 -- Meets all of my criteria above and ranks high in each category IMO (bonus points for being a #1 issue and for being the 1st major ongoing superhero book)

Tec #27 -- No origin story, and while Bats appears on the cover, the cover isn't quite as classic as some of the others IMO. Very high ranking for criterion #1 / no noteworthy bonus points.

Superman #1 -- Not Supes first appearance and not the 1st origin story (although it is expanded on a bit). Bonus points for being a #1 issue and for being the first book devoted entirely to a superhero.

Batman #1 -- Not Bats first appearance, nor is it the first time his origin is told (although it does have a very early / very classic reprint). Borderline classic cover IMO (personally I'm not a big fan of Robin on the cover lol ). Big time bonus points for Joker first appearance and some more bonus points for being the #1 issue of the first book devoted to Batman.

Marvel #1 -- 1st newsstand appearance / origin of Subby and 1st Human Torch, but neither are what I would call 1st tier superheros. Classic cover with the Torch but no Subby. Bonus points for being Marvel #1.

Cap #1 -- 1st appearance and origin of Cap, and while his stock has certainly gone up of late, I still wouldn't put him in the same category as Batman or Superman. Classic cover. Bonus points for being a #1 issue devoted to Cap and for the 1st appearance of the Red Skull.

If I were to actually work through the calcs (assigning weights to various criteria and ranking each book against each criterion, and then adding up total score for each book), based on my weightings / rankings, I believe I would probably end up with the following rankings:

Action #1

Tec #27

Cap #1

I'm sure everyone else has other criteria that they look at, and assign different weightings to their criteria than I do, if they were to take the time to try to explain how they personally rank various books...

P.S. Having said all that, I guess I don't always follow my own "rules" as my formulae above would probably rank All-Star #8 above Sensation #1, however I actually prefer Sensation #1 over All-Star #8 lol:insane:

I like Sensation #1 over All Star #8 as well, I also like Wonder Woman #1 over All Star #8.

But Cap is not a first tier character. So putting him at #3 I can't get on board with

BLASPHEMY I say!!!! lol

(Hi Bill :hi: )

On a global box office scale, Cap currently is a top tier character.

The Winter Soldier has out- grossed both Man of Steel and Amazing Spider-Man 2 worldwide. So if Cap isn't currently a top tier character, neither are Superman or Spider-Man (which I don't agree with).

In this day and age, movies approaching the $1,000,000,000 are the highest measures of success. Superman is also suffering on the newsstands. Over the decades, cumulatively, there is no doubt that Superman is a top tier character. But in today's world, Cap is absolutely a top tier character.

Using that logic, I could negotiate a license to produce a comic book about Avatar and suddenly the first appearance would be as relevant as Captain America's first appearance? Or Superman's?

It's not based purely on box office performance, but that may be the largest measure. I am admittedly unfamiliar with Avatar, for the most part, so it's tough for me to comment. But when Avatar came out, it was extremely relevant and a top tier film.

And when the Cap comic came out, he wasn't. Timely didn't really hit their stride until the 60s, as Marvel

IN addition to the reasons that he states, there is also the added desirability of owning the first appearance of Captain America over an issue '1' of a character that had already been out for a bit.

*Classic cover.

Action #1 -- an anthology series, one hero story, classic but artistically simple cover.

In those respects, no other GA book is in Cap #1's league. And the combination of factors listed above are, to me, much more than "Oh yeah, that's neat" kind of stuff.

You say that in "those respects, no other GA book is in Cap #1's league", and that may be true based on the criteria that you defined, however based on the criteria I might define the same could be said about Action #1...

I don't usually put this much thought into ranking the top books based on personal desirability, but here goes...

Although I actually perform a calculation, I suppose that I typically implicitly look at the following criteria, in the order shown, when ranking the desirability of the best of the best Superhero books:

(5) Is it a #1 issue of a book that has one or more solo stories in every issue for the Superhero in question; a bit of a bonus if the entire book is devoted to the Superhero in question

I suppose I then implicitly assign ratings to each of the criterion above and then multiply those rankings by the applicable criteria weighting in order to arrive at the overall ranking of a given book

Action #1 -- Meets all of my criteria above and ranks high in each category IMO (bonus points for being a #1 issue and for being the 1st major ongoing superhero book)

Tec #27 -- No origin story, and while Bats appears on the cover, the cover isn't quite as classic as some of the others IMO. Very high ranking for criterion #1 / no noteworthy bonus points.

Superman #1 -- Not Supes first appearance and not the 1st origin story (although it is expanded on a bit). Bonus points for being a #1 issue and for being the first book devoted entirely to a superhero.

Batman #1 -- Not Bats first appearance, nor is it the first time his origin is told (although it does have a very early / very classic reprint). Borderline classic cover IMO (personally I'm not a big fan of Robin on the cover lol ). Big time bonus points for Joker first appearance and some more bonus points for being the #1 issue of the first book devoted to Batman.

Marvel #1 -- 1st newsstand appearance / origin of Subby and 1st Human Torch, but neither are what I would call 1st tier superheros. Classic cover with the Torch but no Subby. Bonus points for being Marvel #1.

Cap #1 -- 1st appearance and origin of Cap, and while his stock has certainly gone up of late, I still wouldn't put him in the same category as Batman or Superman. Classic cover. Bonus points for being a #1 issue devoted to Cap and for the 1st appearance of the Red Skull.

If I were to actually work through the calcs (assigning weights to various criteria and ranking each book against each criterion, and then adding up total score for each book), based on my weightings / rankings, I believe I would probably end up with the following rankings:

Action #1

Tec #27

Cap #1

I'm sure everyone else has other criteria that they look at, and assign different weightings to their criteria than I do, if they were to take the time to try to explain how they personally rank various books...

P.S. Having said all that, I guess I don't always follow my own "rules" as my formulae above would probably rank All-Star #8 above Sensation #1, however I actually prefer Sensation #1 over All-Star #8 lol:insane:

I like Sensation #1 over All Star #8 as well, I also like Wonder Woman #1 over All Star #8.

But Cap is not a first tier character. So putting him at #3 I can't get on board with

By what criteria is Cap not a first tier character?

*Classic cover.

Action #1

Tec #27

Cap #1

BLASPHEMY I say!!!! lol

(Hi Bill :hi: )

On a global box office scale, Cap currently is a top tier character.

The Winter Soldier has out- grossed both Man of Steel and Amazing Spider-Man 2 worldwide. So if Cap isn't currently a top tier character, neither are Superman or Spider-Man (which I don't agree with).

In this day and age, movies approaching the $1,000,000,000 are the highest measures of success. Superman is also suffering on the newsstands. Over the decades, cumulatively, there is no doubt that Superman is a top tier character. But in today's world, Cap is absolutely a top tier character.

Using that logic, I could negotiate a license to produce a comic book about Avatar and suddenly the first appearance would be as relevant as Captain America's first appearance? Or Superman's?

It's not based purely on box office performance, but that may be the largest measure. I am admittedly unfamiliar with Avatar, for the most part, so it's tough for me to comment. But when Avatar came out, it was extremely relevant and a top tier film.

And when the Cap comic came out, he wasn't. Timely didn't really hit their stride until the 60s, as Marvel

I believe I know what ciroac means, though I do not attempt to speak for him. But I do believe that he means that cap is not a "top tier character" (and I am inclined to agree with him) in that he is not transcendent in the way the actual top tier characters are....those characters being superman, batman, spiderman, and wolverine. These are top tier characters who are created, or redefined the entire craft of comic books. Captain America was originally a just a propaganda tool, which ultimately became dated and was eventually scrapped altogether until avengers 4. Batman, superman, spiderman have all been featured in continuous titles, usually multiple continuous titles, since their inception. Their enduring popularity is not related to how much box office the next movie makes. As others have pointed out, cap 1 was a slow book until the movies, and his recent popularity is because of and almost entirely based on his presence in movies. All comic book characters have benefited from the movies to varying extent, but captain America is no batman. He is comfortably in the second tier of characters along with the hulk and Thor however. Still very good company. (thumbs u

-J.

I think top tier characters in pop culture survive over decades of time since their inception. Not a few Hollywood movies, video games, or media hype suddenly qualify a character to be top tier. Cap certainly (as all superheroes in Hollywood) has benefited.

I believe the Top tier characters in pop culture that have stood the test of time AND will continue to be top tier popular (current and future generations will still recognize and appreciate) are:

1. Mickey Mouse

2. Superman

3. Batman

4. Spider-Man

5. Wolverine

I believe I know what ciroac means, though I do not attempt to speak for him. But I do believe that he means that cap is not a "top tier character" (and I am inclined to agree with him) in that he is not transcendent in the way the actual top tier characters are....those characters being superman, batman, spiderman, and wolverine. These are top tier characters who are created, or redefined the entire craft of comic books. Captain America was originally a just a propaganda tool, which ultimately became dated and was eventually scrapped altogether until avengers 4. Batman, superman, spiderman have all been featured in continuous titles, usually multiple continuous titles, since their inception. Their enduring popularity is not related to how much box office the next movie makes. As others have pointed out, cap 1 was a slow book until the movies, and his recent popularity is because of and almost entirely based on his presence in movies. All comic book characters have benefited from the movies to varying extent, but captain America is no batman. He is comfortably in the second tier of characters along with the hulk and Thor however. Still very good company. (thumbs u

-J.

As always Jay, love your feedback. (thumbs u

I probably felt the same way about Cap before I started delving into the original S&K Golden Age run. If you mean "transcendent" the way Merriam-Webster defines it, I do believe Cap to be, in many cases (but certainly not all), "beyond the limits of ordinary experience" and "far better and greater than what is usual."

In the Golden Age, there are few books out there, IMO, much better than that original S&K run. Beyond the advances on the art side, the character delivered powerful messages and touched on themes that many people could relate to -- both back then, and today.

The Winter Soldier is the most recent example of how audiences can take to Cap when he is portrayed the right way. I believe Marvel is doing a great job on that front.

Like any character that's been around for about 75 years, there is good and there is bad. But there is plenty --and I mean PLENTY-- of bad Superman and Batman material out there that would detract from the transcendent label.

I'm not saying that decade-for-decade, cumulatively, that Cap has reached Superman/Batman status, but I also think it's important not to knock the immense global success he is experiencing now. And it is now that I feel Cap to absolutely be a top tier character.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Hi All,

I hope it's ok to share this brand new to market Cap #1 with everyone. At 51 years old and having dealt on and off in comic books for a total of 21 years, up until now I have never handled a copy. :whee: As much as I love my job (and I truly do), there is a point where you become a little jaded handling another ASM 1, etc. In this case, it was like being transported in time to 1975 or so and poring over Overstreet photos of rare books you never dreamed you might hold in hand one day.

To answer some obvious questions:

1) The book was purchased by a local dealer from the original owner :o . It was an 18 month process involving the sale of many other golden age books (none with the panache of this book but some cool stuff for sure).

2) As much as I'd love to keep this, yes I will be selling it.

3) It is a tweener 4.0/4.5 as it sits. 4.25 if there was such a grade.

CAPTAINAMERICACOMICS1FRONT_zps779e4597.jpeg

CAPTAINAMERICACOMICS1BACK_zps5eb42f9f.jpeg

Hi All,

I hope it's ok to share this brand new to market Cap #1 with everyone. At 51 years old and having dealt on and off in comic books for a total of 21 years, up until now I have never handled a copy. :whee: As much as I love my job (and I truly do), there is a point where you become a little jaded handling another ASM 1, etc. In this case, it was like being transported in time to 1975 or so and poring over Overstreet photos of rare books you never dreamed you might hold in hand one day.

1) The book was purchased by a local dealer from the original owner :o . It was an 18 month process involving the sale of many other golden age books (none with the panache of this book but some cool stuff for sure).

very nice Greg!

-Ben

Hi All,

Awesome book Greg. :applause:

It would look great in a CGC slab, and I'm sure when you decide to sell, it's going to make some collector very happy. (thumbs u

Hi All,

very nice Greg!

-Ben

+1 !!!!!! Congrats Mr. Reece that is one sweet funny book!!! great to hear a gentleman in the hobby who spends as much time around major books is still able to find some excitement with these classics!!! BTW I Still sit and pore over the Overstreet photos :grin:

Hi All,

I just saw in DR.X's thread in general that you got this back from CGC as a 5.0 with Off White to White pages. It looks very nice. Congrats!

*Classic cover.

Action #1

Tec #27

Cap #1

Definitely agree ... Cap 1 in the top three ! (thumbs u

My copy of Cap #1 appears to have the same unique printing error as the copy another board member found in the Heritage archives. On the back cover, there are words printed in red ink that don't even appear on these two copies.

scan1_zps6ba35a35.jpg

slab1_zpsa81dd550.jpg

scan2_zps90f1e2c1.jpg

slab2_zpsc7295e4e.jpg