• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

So what's the precedent here?

If we claim something and it's suggested our follow up offer will get a veto, instead of getting a strike we can rescind the offer, unless the veto comes within a few minutes of us retracting our offer or of course if people just don't like you?

Why is retracting an offer even allowed at all anyway? If you post a bad offer take your lumps like others have and will. Or I guess we can have a system that gives free passes to some people who get tips and warnings before the original offerer gets a chance to post the veto, I guess that's fair too.

If we claim something and it's suggested our follow up offer will get a veto, instead of getting a strike we can rescind the offer, unless the veto comes within a few minutes of us retracting our offer or of course if people just don't like you?

Why is retracting an offer even allowed at all anyway? If you post a bad offer take your lumps like others have and will. Or I guess we can have a system that gives free passes to some people who get tips and warnings before the original offerer gets a chance to post the veto, I guess that's fair too.

I think the rules are made to encourage people who make weak offers to improve them, to avoid getting a strike. Rather than to allow people to make weak offers and hope someone takes it, but still having the option to rescind the weak offers to avoid a strike.

:news::news::news::news::news:

I'd like to resolve this issue going forward. Please note Rule 3(b):

To be clear:

Tamwood is NOT getting a strike

The thread was newly formed. There was no strike looming. I think the butthurt was too much and he was out. I'm fine with that which is why I didn't give him a strike. He wasn't concerned about a strike and this was not the motivation behind the rescission of his offer.

Meeklo IS getting a strike

1Cool discussed various ideas with Meeklo to change up his offer. Meeklo declined to do so. 1Cool told him he was going to veto and as he was writing his response, Meeklo rescinded. No one can argue that this was clearly done to avoid a strike. Meeklo even admitted that someone would only rescind an offer to avoid a strike. The strike is based on an impending veto.

So neither of those points are up to debate nor part of the discussion.

I think 1Cool discussed the offer put up with EvenInHisYouth and EIHY just decided for whatever reason - not worth it - and rescinded. Clearly after reading many comments, I feel allow someone to rescind their offer without penalty leaves room for manipulation in the future and I'd like to just deal with it now. At this point - the thread isn't brand new. People can read or at least ask before they :takeit: so they know what is expected. So in light of that and going forward, offers that are rescinded will result in a strike.

There is already a discussion thread about PIF and The Trading Post thread – maybe it could work for all three.

Is the trading thread a go already? I don't see it (shrug)

At this point I am a little concerned about starting it. I feel that a few people will intentionally threadcrap it.

As far as the second take it and rescission goes, I feel like it was done purposely to test Swick and the rules. The timing and manner in which it was done felt unnatural and staged.

Hey, if anyone does that I will personally troll every post they make for a week.

...Or until I find something better to do.

:news::news::news::news::news:

I'd like to resolve this issue going forward. Please note Rule 3(b):

To be clear:

Tamwood is NOT getting a strike

The thread was newly formed. There was no strike looming. I think the butthurt was too much and he was out. I'm fine with that which is why I didn't give him a strike. He wasn't concerned about a strike and this was not the motivation behind the rescission of his offer.

Meeklo IS getting a strike

1Cool discussed various ideas with Meeklo to change up his offer. Meeklo declined to do so. 1Cool told him he was going to veto and as he was writing his response, Meeklo rescinded. No one can argue that this was clearly done to avoid a strike. Meeklo even admitted that someone would only rescind an offer to avoid a strike. The strike is based on an impending veto.

So neither of those points are up to debate nor part of the discussion.

I think 1Cool discussed the offer put up with EvenInHisYouth and EIHY just decided for whatever reason - not worth it - and rescinded. Clearly after reading many comments, I feel allow someone to rescind their offer without penalty leaves room for manipulation in the future and I'd like to just deal with it now. At this point - the thread isn't brand new. People can read or at least ask before they :takeit: so they know what is expected. So in light of that and going forward, offers that are rescinded will result in a strike.

I would like to clarify this though...I asked 1Cool to give me some time before vetoing. He said okay. There was no expectation of how long I wanted or how long he would give me. After a while, I rescinded my offer because I could not afford to go higher than a $50 offer. A minute after my post, 1Cool posted the veto. So my post was to avoid a potential strike, just like Tamwood probably have gotten. I did not know 1Cool was posting the veto right then and there though. Had he not posted within a minute after I posted, my situation would probably have turned out like Tamwood's.

Okay, here we go with my first-ever Giving Tree Offer...

Option #1 - Green Lantern #40, VG (origin Guardians and Infinite Earths) and

- Detective Comics #411, Fr to G- (1st Talia)

GL40A.jpg

GL40B.jpg

TEC411.jpg

TEC411B.jpg

Option #2 - Amazing Spider-Man #24 G/VG (1965)

- Marvel Super-Heroes 13 G (1st Ms Marvel)

- New Mutants Annual #2 (1st Psylocke)

ASM24.jpg

ASM24B.jpg

MSH13.jpg

MSH13B.jpg

NEWMUTANN2.jpg

:bump:

Let's get this tree moving again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've RAK'd myself silly (Random Act of Kav)

Let me be clear about something. I didn't rescind my offer because of the threat of a strike hanging over my head. I rescinded my offer because I realized right away, after a couple of pointed posts, that my offers were not as up-to-snuff as I thought they were. I had, admittedly, posted the same offers (minus the one that was taken) as I had in the PIF thread (and yes ... I realize this isn't PIF) and my initial offer in that thread was snatched up quite quickly, so I thought maybe the others were decent offers. I discovered they were not.

I have no desire to attempt to take any offers here, because I know (now) that what I have to offer will not be up-to-snuff for you people. It won't be anything CGC'd, and it won't be anything Silver or Gold, because I don't have any high-grade SA or GA books. What I had initially offered were books, HCs and trades, that I had read, and enjoyed, and pulled from my personal collection.

I don't appreciate the accusations that a) I was trying to foist things I no longer wanted in an attempt to take something better or that b) I rescinded my offer because I was afraid of a strike. I rescinded my offer because I realized it wasn't good enough.

I did state, at the time I tried to take the ASM books, that I was only interested in one of them. I did not realize I couldn't do that. The 299 would have been RAK'd, if I'd been able to take the offer.

There was no "butthurt" at the time, as Harvey so wonderfully put it. There was no "attitude" as Meeklo stated. There was an attempt at humour, that obviously didn't hit the target, and for that, I am sorry. Not everybody can have an awesome a sense-of-humour as me. :D

Let me be clear about something. I didn't rescind my offer because of the threat of a strike hanging over my head. I rescinded my offer because I realized right away, after a couple of pointed posts, that my offers were not as up-to-snuff as I thought they were. I had, admittedly, posted the same offers (minus the one that was taken) as I had in the PIF thread (and yes ... I realize this isn't PIF) and my initial offer in that thread was snatched up quite quickly, so I thought maybe the others were decent offers. I discovered they were not.

I have no desire to attempt to take any offers here, because I know (now) that what I have to offer will not be up-to-snuff for you people. It won't be anything CGC'd, and it won't be anything Silver or Gold, because I don't have any high-grade SA or GA books. What I had initially offered were books, HCs and trades, that I had read, and enjoyed, and pulled from my personal collection.

I don't appreciate the accusations that a) I was trying to foist things I no longer wanted in an attempt to take something better or that b) I rescinded my offer because I was afraid of a strike. I rescinded my offer because I realized it wasn't good enough.

I did state, at the time I tried to take the ASM books, that I was only interested in one of them. I did not realize I couldn't do that. The 299 would have been RAK'd, if I'd been able to take the offer.

There was no "butthurt" at the time, as Harvey so wonderfully put it. There was no "attitude" as Meeklo stated. There was an attempt at humour, that obviously didn't hit the target, and for that, I am sorry. Not everybody can have an awesome a sense-of-humour as me. :D

What about cash? Got any cash?

I think I have a shiny nickel around here somewhere.

Edit: I found it, but it's not as shiny as I thought. It's pretty dull, actually. Looks like a little tarnished, too. Can I rescind the nickel? :jokealert:

:troll:

In all seriousness, I like the concept of TGT and PIF. I think both have flaws, but I think that the thought counts. I may dig stuff up or come across stuff that I think someone might enjoy, and I might try to "RAK" it up.

Edited by Tamwood

This won't be much of a RAK to most, but I know some people like to have these so I've got about 50 of the bags that CGC sends slabs in that I have no use for. If anyone wants them shoot me a pm with your address and I'll mail them out.

Harvey - you've got a great thread here and don't let it get you down that it doesn't always run smooth as you would like. Keep up the good work bud :thumbsup:

:foryou:

Wow - its been a couple days since Harvey has had to post the cartoon of the guy smashing his computer. Must be a record!