• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Speaking of rumors, didn't MMehdy once post that he knew of a collector with a high grade Action 1 that was waiting on the submission of the Church copy and hoping a "page quality bump" might get his a higher grade?

why wait for the Church copy to submit first?

Just guessing here, but if the Church copy were to be graded as a 9.2 with CR/OW or OW pages, perhaps the owner of the other copy would hope that with superior page quality, their copy, even if less impressive overall, may get an equal or higher grade.

Taking with folks that have seen the church copy, it is ow/w or w (likely the latter).

G.A.tor on my way to pick up my over street. What book am I most likely to scream "that's wildly_fanciful_statement" because of the wildest swing (either up or down)?

I was too busy yesterday preparing for sd so I didn't even look at the guide beyond the action 1

Does that mean all your books are priced at last years guide? Boarding a plane to SD as we speak!

Speaking of rumors, didn't MMehdy once post that he knew of a collector with a high grade Action 1 that was waiting on the submission of the Church copy and hoping a "page quality bump" might get his a higher grade?

Mitch knows of many action 1 raw owners out there (as do many). I still would hedge the church copy is best existing until otherwise disputed

My money is strongly on this one too. Unfortunately it won't be officially graded for quite some time if ever. Steve's assessment is good enough for me, however.

What is his aversion to grading it? If I had the highest known copy of the most valuable book it'd be graded and then the slab would be sealed in Lucite so nothing could ever happen to it lol

What is his aversion to grading it? If I had the highest known copy of the most valuable book it'd be graded and then the slab would be sealed in Lucite so nothing could ever happen to it lol

I am not convinced that a slab is the safest place to protect a book wherein the smallest dent is akin to looses vast amounts of money.

I wouldn't even want to transport it any distance.

I am not convinced that a slab is the safest place to protect a book wherein the smallest dent is akin to looses vast amounts of money.

I wouldn't even want to transport it any distance.

I would be afraid to breathe around it let alone transport it! a dent, a nick, or a tear results in literally millions of dollars down the tube

He doesn't care about any of that - the book is going to his son. And he already has it well stored away in a protected environment. AFAIK all viewings have been very private.

How big a deal is "It's Game Time" #1?

I've been offered a raw VG at guide. It's not really something I'm longing for, but it's pretty cool, and I've never seen one before. Should I?

I've never owned a copy but if you want a copy and you think price is fair, seems like a pretty easy deal (thumbs u

Gator, how did you do this year at the Tampa Con? I know you didn't do too well there in 2013 but the general vibe seems to be that most dealers were happy with this year's results. How were your sales in the different areas of golden age thru modern? Any big ticket sales? Are the customers centered more on the discounted items or did all types of books sell well?

Gator, how did you do this year at the Tampa Con? I know you didn't do too well there in 2013 but the general vibe seems to be that most dealers were happy with this year's results. How were your sales in the different areas of golden age thru modern? Any big ticket sales? Are the customers centered more on the discounted items or did all types of books sell well?

tis no secret last year tampa con was only con I have ever lost money at...sales were dismal, mainly because I didn't have the right mix of books for that crowd...

this year, I altered my selection, offering more bronze to modern, while still maintaining a good silver and gold selection...

we had a great show...

sold a sensation 1, and about 15 gold/silver books between $1000-4000 and sold a lot of bronze and copper raw books as well...

was a great sales show, and one of the more profitable for us this year (low expenses helped)

Hey GAtor,

Three part question my friend...My Gerber Journals have most A-Man books at the 5-7 range :screwy: Would you be willing to divulge besides for the 26 which are the rarest you have seen and collected? How many copies of 22 have you come by and have you ever seen the 2.5 that sits on the CGC census right now? What would be a price range per point for a 22 if a person was trying to find a copy someday? I really cant find any data on the subject besides for the Larson copy that sold some 11 years ago...thanks buddy...glad to hear you tore it up in Tampa (thumbs u

Hey GAtor,

Three part question my friend...My Gerber Journals have most A-Man books at the 5-7 range :screwy: Would you be willing to divulge besides for the 26 which are the rarest you have seen and collected? How many copies of 22 have you come by and have you ever seen the 2.5 that sits on the CGC census right now? What would be a price range per point for a 22 if a person was trying to find a copy someday? I really cant find any data on the subject besides for the Larson copy that sold some 11 years ago...thanks buddy...glad to hear you tore it up in Tampa (thumbs u

26 is the toughest followed by 25

22 shouldn't be any tougher than 20-24 but it is so highly coveted it is likely the 3rd toughest to obtain

I've owned 5 copies (4 at one time back in 2008/9), but the 2.5 was not one of them (2 were raw so one of them might be the 2.5 now)

Expect to pay $1000+ a point these days to obtain a copy

Hey GAtor,

22 shouldn't be any tougher than 20-24 but it is so highly coveted it is likely the 3rd toughest to obtain

I've owned 5 copies (4 at one time back in 2008/9), but the 2.5 was not one of them (2 were raw so one of them might be the 2.5 now)

$6,000 for a 6.0 copy? :o

Hey GAtor,

(thumbs u thanks man

Hey GAtor,

if one existed...the mile high is the 9.0 I think... I own the 4.0 and the 3.5 is the cosmic aeroplane copy I sold to Win...

the 2.5 is likely one of my raw copies...

that's it, no more on the census...a 6.0 might not even exist :o

Hey GAtor,

if one existed...the mile high is the 9.0 I think... I own the 4.0 and the 3.5 is the cosmic aeroplane copy I sold to Win...

the 2.5 is likely one of my raw copies...

that's it, no more on the census...a 6.0 might not even exist :o

It's just about top of my wants list and if a 6.0 turned up for $6000 I'd be delighted to have it.

sacentaur told me the Larson copy was out there for a while but has since sold? That's a book I'd like to track down (for GAtor so he could sell me his undercopy!)