• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

They are in the $25-50 rang right now...

Am I wrong in thinking thats good considering you pay $0 for the comic?

I'm holding onto mine until the movie. My 7 yr old is already hinting that he wants to be Star Lord for Halloween. I'm thinking this characters popularity will soar after the movie, and drive prices of some books up.

If you hadn't spent money at Gamestop you wouldn't get it for 0

Can we talk about Marvel Age 97?

What the is wrong with you people?

First Darkhawk? really? $15+ really?

marvel Age 12 - first appearance of Spider-man Black Costume, completed sales of $20?!

if there wasn't an earlier sign of the coming comic book apocalypse this is it now.

Jimmy I usually enjoy your posts but not this one. How is Marvel age not the first appearance of Darkhawk?

There is a preview of Darkhawk #1 in MA 97, but Darkhawk does not appear in the story. Darkhawk appears on the cover and on a pin-up on the inside. If we go by this criteria, then Previews magazine is where most characters' first appearances would be.

ok then how is ma 97 not darkhawks first comic book appearance?

It's not like Rai called someone a k*** or anything.

Those recalled Wolverine books are more common than advertised. I used to pick them up when I came across them, but after 10 or so, I realized they were practically every other issue.

It wasn't the rarity I was commenting on, but that they had a good reason to recall it. It's a major title with a crazy racial slur that somehow made it to print without an editor saying "This probably won't fly."

The Rai book is being recalled because the perforation lines for the mask cut off the ears. Who cares.

I was just using your comment as a springboard to point out that recalled books aren't always as rare as rumored. As you state, the Wolverine book was recalled over a legit reason, yet they're still everywhere. I can't imagine the recalled Rai's being quite as rare either. 2c

Comichron has the total #2 numbers at 13,500.

Cover B is probably the subscription variant, which is, what, usually like 1/3 of the total? just under half? something along those lines.

Cover C is Recalled Mask edition

Cover D is 1:10

Cover E is a 1:25

Cover F is the corrected mask (not sure if this factors in to the numbers)

Cover G is a second printing (don't think this is part of the numbers)

What would the return rate be on the recalleds then? 30%? higher? lower? What is a common rate for this sort of thing?

These comics were not returned. The publisher asked for the copies to be destroyed by the comic retailers. (yeah, right.) Comicchron's numbers are based on the total comics ordered, not the extras sent out to retailers to replace the error masks. So, there are going to be way more than 13,500 copies of this comic around.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but did anyone see this? Honestly, never heard of the book or of Andrew Hussie; sweet cover though!!! Checked the bay, none for sale (so kinda going against the title of this thread)...

Midas Flesh #8

BleedingCool has never been the place to get information about comics heating up. The Speculation corner is a joke. 2c

They are in the $25-50 rang right now...

Am I wrong in thinking thats good considering you pay $0 for the comic?

I'm holding onto mine until the movie. My 7 yr old is already hinting that he wants to be Star Lord for Halloween. I'm thinking this characters popularity will soar after the movie, and drive prices of some books up.

If you hadn't spent money at Gamestop you wouldn't get it for 0

Yeah but that wasn't money I invested with the intent of getting a comic out of it. That was money I would've spent anyway for Christmas gifts. In fact, had the whole ASM 1 thing happened, I wouldn't have even looked at the PowerUp rewards site.

I have noticed all the NM copies of Star Wars: Jedi - Mace Windu have dried up on eBay. There is only a single listing for a VF/NM copy. This is a comic that usually has 5-10 copies on eBay at any given time.

I'm guessing it is due to this older rumor that Lupita Nyong'o will be playing Asajj Ventress in the new movie. SWJMW is the first appearance of Asajj in comics:

http://io9.com/is-lupita-nyongo-playing-asajj-ventress-in-star-wars-e-1571699619

I have noticed all the NM copies of Star Wars: Jedi - Mace Windu have dried up on eBay. There is only a single listing for a VF/NM copy. This is a comic that usually has 5-10 copies on eBay at any given time.

I'm guessing it is due to this older rumor that Lupita Nyong'o will be playing Asajj Ventress in the new movie. SWJMW is the first appearance of Asajj in comics:

http://io9.com/is-lupita-nyongo-playing-asajj-ventress-in-star-wars-e-1571699619

Hmmmm, interesting.

Thanks.

Just my #1s

From left to right

C2E2 Ashcan, #1 Normal Cover in dual gold sigs, #1 Normal cover in dual silver sigs, Phantom Variant triple signed, ECCC no sigs, ECCC Frank Sig, SDCC #1, SDCC Frank Sig

tumblr_n96trxW9Ll1rkky2io1_500.jpg

Very nice!

I love the dueling gold and silver sigs!

Didn't want to start a new thread, but did anyone see this? Honestly, never heard of the book or of Andrew Hussie; sweet cover though!!! Checked the bay, none for sale (so kinda going against the title of this thread)...

Midas Flesh #8

BleedingCool has never been the place to get information about comics heating up. The Speculation corner is a joke. 2c

AGREED!

They were hyping Joe Casey's Image book SEX and I fell for the crappy article hype. Still stuck with copies of SEX #1 that I'm looking to let go.

My instincts have treated me better with regard to holding onto certain books for big gains on resales.

Bleeding Cool has ok newsbites but their Speculation Corner blows. Ignore it completely.

Edited by JasonDaTwit

marvel Age 12 - first appearance of Spider-man Black Costume, completed sales of $20?!

if there wasn't an earlier sign of the coming comic book apocalypse this is it now.

Jimmy I usually enjoy your posts but not this one. How is Marvel age not the first appearance of Darkhawk?

There is a preview of Darkhawk #1 in MA 97, but Darkhawk does not appear in the story. Darkhawk appears on the cover and on a pin-up on the inside. If we go by this criteria, then Previews magazine is where most characters' first appearances would be.

he isn't appearing in continuity or in a story, is he? marvel age was sort of a preview magazine advertising stuff. it isn't a "comic book". is capes #1 the first walking dead (and there's even part of the story there) or the WD with the chew preview? honestly, those other two are probably better candidates as 1st apps as pieces from the story are in there.

otherwise new mutants 86 is the first app of cable. they show his face in the "coming next month" section.

This argument over 608 only further illustrates the confusion surrounding first appearances. This is why the definition clearly states: A first appearance/debut is the first time a character appears anywhere. Insertion into a narrative is not needed, an appearance on a cover is not needed. Though these things may be more desirable to collectors ans sell for many times more based on that desirability they still should not be considered a first appearance.

That is your definition of first appearance, as you've stated many times, and it's correct from a strict dictionary standpoint. However, as comic books are a storytelling medium, what is collected as first appearances is usually character involvement in a narrative, not Previews ads, CSN stories, flyers, coupons or inter-office memos.

Once again, despite the dictionary, if someone calls you 'bro', don't assume they're your brother. :baiting:

This definition is not a dictionary definition, it comes right outta Overstreet!

lol

It does, indeed.

I seriously doubt, however, that Overstreet foresaw someone using that definition to justify their views that Previews, CSN, promo pamphlets and letter page ads are first appearances. The hobby as a whole has rejected that concept.

And, if you want to embrace Overstreet as the ultimate arbiter of the market, you should load up on Conan 3's. It's scarce. :gossip:

Hmmmm, interesting.

Thanks.

SW Tales 19 is the one I think do well.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Hmmmm, interesting.

Thanks.

SW Tales 19 is the one I think do well.

I read something a month or two ago that all of the Star. wars stuff outside of the movies was no longer considered canon. I hope that's not the case because there are lots of good stories outside of the movies like Crimson Empire, Dark Empire, and the Rogue Squadron series. Does this matter to people who collect SW comics ?

he isn't appearing in continuity or in a story, is he? marvel age was sort of a preview magazine advertising stuff. it isn't a "comic book". is capes #1 the first walking dead (and there's even part of the story there) or the WD with the chew preview? honestly, those other two are probably better candidates as 1st apps as pieces from the story are in there.

otherwise new mutants 86 is the first app of cable. they show his face in the "coming next month" section.

This is ironic on several levels.

This argument over 608 only further illustrates the confusion surrounding first appearances. This is why the definition clearly states: A first appearance/debut is the first time a character appears anywhere. Insertion into a narrative is not needed, an appearance on a cover is not needed. Though these things may be more desirable to collectors ans sell for many times more based on that desirability they still should not be considered a first appearance.

That is your definition of first appearance, as you've stated many times, and it's correct from a strict dictionary standpoint. However, as comic books are a storytelling medium, what is collected as first appearances is usually character involvement in a narrative, not Previews ads, CSN stories, flyers, coupons or inter-office memos.

Once again, despite the dictionary, if someone calls you 'bro', don't assume they're your brother. :baiting:

This definition is not a dictionary definition, it comes right outta Overstreet!

lol

It does, indeed.

I seriously doubt, however, that Overstreet foresaw someone using that definition to justify their views that Previews, CSN, promo pamphlets and letter page ads are first appearances. The hobby as a whole has rejected that concept.

And, if you want to embrace Overstreet as the ultimate arbiter of the market, you should load up on Conan 3's. It's scarce. :gossip:

If they didn't intend for the definition to be used then why did they write it so clearly? Anyways I never said Overstreet was the ultimate arbiter of the market. I just gave one example of a pretty straight forward definition from a respected comic book resource to justify the first appearance of a character on a cover in a comic book. That is all. Also the hobby hasn't rejected anything, its just slowly catching on.

Just so people do not accuse me of trying to derail this thread, here is one that's heatin' up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Mary-1-by-Rick-Remender-Kieron-Dwyer-Fear-Agent-COMBINED-SHIPPING-/331265644606?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d20f8983e

Edited by MrWeen

Five Ghosts us inching up but the big boys are in seclusion.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=five+ghosts+1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfive+ghosts+&_nkw=five+ghosts+&_sacat=63

I'd say 40 different purchases speaks volumes about the positive impact of announcements. 2c