• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the Barbarian #1 to #24 CGC 9.8+ Scan and Photo Library
1 1

130 posts in this topic

That's a beauty :applause:

I read somewhere that bigamy isn't widely accepted in our parts of the world, so you can have her :baiting:

Last one sold for about $2300 on CConnect, but this vacation time of the year may be perfect for a bargain pickup hm:whistle: (yes, there are nerds like me scanning the web EVERY day, but I think we are few and no treatment has helped me so far :facepalm: )

Yesterday I added this #9 pedigree:

0919393009_zpsb7f496d4.jpg

Get it here and good luck (it ends July 27th, so there's still 5 days left):

Conan the Barbarian #9 8 WP Pedigree

In June, last one sold on CConnect for nearly 2k (also pedigree, Suscha News), although nobody seems to understand why, #9 is one of the most common 9.8 books regarding #1 to #24 and Annual #1. Previously such books have often sold for $300-500.

Hmmm, it's already at 83k, will it make 100k? Could be the most expensive Conan the Barbarian cover ever, we'll see tomorrow...

Oh Gosh! The Conan completist!

What a beauty collection with all of your hard work. :headbang:

Thank you :)

I guess it all goes back to "ask not what your fellow Conan CGC collectors can do for you, ask what you can do for your fellow Conan CGC collectors" :angel:

(alright, alright, sigh, I just did for myself to see what's out there, but eventually thought it could be a fun thing to share :sorry:;) )

The Conan the Barbarian #12 original cover just surfaced for HA auction, and I have added the scan to the library :whee:

Conan the Barbarian #1 to #24 plus Annual #1 Original Art Covers

photo lf_zpscdd82de0.jpg

You can bid on it here until Nov 22nd 2014:

Conan #12 OA Auction

Good luck to the bidders :wishluck:

Still, I am quite happy with my own #12 9.8, after all these years there are only 3 in the Census and none better:

photo 0039006012F_zps385e3c6d.jpg

Now thats a cover I could happily own....

The cover just went from 2.2k to 5.5k (without BP), although I am guessing you had nothing to do with that... ;) It's no BWS cover, so it'll probably be more inexpensive, my estimate will be about 50k, we'll see hm

Kane had a great passion for Conan and he supported the Conan comic books beyond the art, excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Sometime in the late 1960s, Kane temporarily acquired the publishing rights to Robert E. Howard's pulp magazine barbarian, Conan, with the intent of reviving the character in a magazine format, à la Savage. However, he was unable to gain financing for the project, and the rights reverted to the Howard estate. When Marvel Comics licensed the character in 1970, writer Roy Thomas initially considered having either Kane or John Buscema draw the comic book, and Kane actively campaigned for the assignment, but editor Lee considered Kane too valuable as the company's premiere cover artist to allow him to devote large amounts of time to a commercially uncertain project. Kane would later provide art for the Conan comic book, which by then was one of Marvel's hits."

Of course it would be something special to own Kane's first published Conan the Barbarian cover (= #12!)... (worship)

Thanks for the post about Kane, I knew he did some covers later in the Conan run but I never knew he had the character rights temporarily or that he was considered at the beginning of the run.

You're welcome :-) I just checked the quote, and the text has now been removed from Wikipedia - a copy of the original text can still be found here:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Gil_Kane

and here:

http://cflmall.com/HDBMW/index.php?title=Gil_Kane

I do not know why Wikipedia removed the text (the current Gil Kane Wiki-article has a lot of references, the old one did not, so maybe the above is not true or Wiki could not find a reference to support the info... At least the quote does not seem that farfetched to me, because it partly explains why Kane suddenly provided art for the early Conan books, issues 12, 17-18 and 23 - and some of the early Savage Tales and Savage Sword books).

Gil Kane (Eli Katz) died in 2000, maybe Roy Thomas and/or Stan Lee can validate the info (unless the evil and extremely annoying Alzheimer guy has stolen it :censored: ) ...

Interesting to see Conan as a blonde :grin: Especially since I do believe Robert E. Howard wrote it differently:

"Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

Of course there must be some artistic freedom allowed ;)

And interesting to see such books from other countries. Personally my interest in Barry Windsor-Smith's books started when I read these four albums (each 84 pages, no commercials - just pure BWS art from start to finish, full color on very thick high-quality paper, released 1978-1980):

photo Unavngivet_zpsbb791eb0.jpg

Album 1 contained Conan the Barbarian issues 4, 6-8, Album 2 issues 9-11, Album 3 issues 1 - 3 and 5, and album 4 issues 12 - 15 (apparently the publisher was highly selective, but then again the books were published in a small market).

Maybe the colors were too bright and vivid, but I grew up with those, so these colors are to some degree still my reference :facepalm: (still I do like them much more than the recent computer colors in the Dark Horse TPBs)

photo Unavn11givet_zps6c0e7f4d.jpg

Maybe the colors were too bright and vivid, but I grew up with those, so these colors are to some degree still my reference :facepalm: (still I do like them much more than the recent computer colors in the Dark Horse TPBs)

I used to have Volume 1 from Dark Horse. I was not around when the comics were first published, and I also had not seen interiors from the original pages before, but when I opened the Dark Horse volume for the first time I knew the coloring was off. :(

And a new Conan the Barbarian #1 just arrived (and has of course been added to the scan library):

1213370007FWP_zps841a371d.jpg

It was graded Oct. 17th 2014, and CLink auction start date is Nov. 19th:

Conan the Barbarian #1 9.8 WP Comiclink Auction

PS. A good to know that I am not the only one who did not appreciate the colors in the latest Dark Horse reprints of the early BWS issues ;-)