• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

It certainly is. The "sold for" price was $2650. Actually $150 more than what Dan subsequently paid for his copy in the same grade with "white pages".

-J.

You are correct, this specific book set a high water mark for a 6.0 . I suspect there was more at play = pressable flaws in the notes. The purchase price was based more on potential than the present state of the book. Perhaps we should qualify our page quality comments to the following...

Collectors will pay more for a White Pager. Flippers will not.

Bob, that's been more or less my point all along....since no one can know if a certain book sold for less or more because of "page quality", it is impossible to quantify the data. The hypothesis that "'white page' books sell for more" is unable to be proven by the scientific method because the results are not repeatable and are random to the point of meaninglessness. That's why we are always told by the experienced guys (like yourself) to buy the book and not the label. Is a 6.0 with "white pages" a better book to buy than a 6.5 with "off white" pages? Is a 6.0 with marvel chipping and "white pages" a better book to buy than a 6.0 with a straight razor edge and "cream/ow" pages? Is a 6.0 with "white pages" the better book to get over a 6.0 with "off white" pages in an old label slab? Or even the question you posed, about our two examples at hand where somebody might be trying to play the CPR game, which, as we all know is very highly likely going to result in a different "PQ" coming back on the label regardless.

I for one am a collector not a flipper, and I buy the book not the label, and certainly not the "PQ" (barring brittle of course, which, ironically, is the only "PQ" designation CGC uses that actually relates to "quality" and not "colour"). That is why I feel compelled to play devil's advocate when blanket statements are made. The reality is, books with "white pages" do not "always" sell for a "premium". Perhaps in uber high grade in the SA and BA one could find a 3-5% price difference with SOME consistency. But supply and demand on any particular book at any given time can even trump that. In the low/mid grade ranges, however, there really just isn't any consistent price "premium" paid , sales results are literally all over the map across the top three or four "PQ" levels. Which might be a good thing, because it would suggest that people are in fact buying the books and not the labels. (thumbs u

-J.

Jaydog, face it dude! PQ does matter!

I personally don't care much about PQ, I try to keep my spideys ow/w but I have purchased cream/ow and just ow. I have also paid premiums for books based on PQ. If the PQ didn't factor, the seller wouldn't ask for more.

Put two books in an auction Identical FC/BC 9.8s but one is OW/W and one is WHITE. I will bet me bottom dollar the White beats out the OW/W every. single. auction.

I personally don't care much about PQ, I try to keep my spideys ow/w but I have purchased cream/ow and just ow. I have also paid premiums for books based on PQ. If the PQ didn't factor, the seller wouldn't ask for more.

Put two books in an auction Identical FC/BC 9.8s but one is OW/W and one is WHITE. I will bet me bottom dollar the White beats out the OW/W every. single. auction.

Anecdotally, anything is possible. But if a "cr/ow" went for more than either book a week earlier or later, what could we possibly divine from those results either way? (shrug)

-J.

Anecdotally, anything is possible. But if a "cr/ow" went for more than either book a week earlier or later, what could we possibly divine from those results either way? (shrug)

-J.

Nothing because the cr/ow didn't sell the same day/auction as the OW/W and WHITE.

-J.

Nothing because the cr/ow didn't sell the same day/auction as the OW/W and WHITE.

Then what does a hypothetical, anecdotal auction prove ? (shrug)

-J.

-J.

-J.

You are annoying. I now know to never ever interact with you on the boards. Thank you.

-J.

-J.

You are annoying. I now know to never ever interact with you on the boards. Thank you.

Always nice to be reminded that a personal swipe is what a little intelligent dissension and debate will get you on these boards from time to time. (thumbs u

-J.

By the hoary hosts!

Dr. Strange rules!

I'm looking forward to hearing some Strange news at SDCC.

lol Thanks for getting us back on topic!

Can't wait to see the news coming out of SDCC over the next week!!

I love this place and I'm glad we get to talk about aspects of collecting he, but it seems like this should be a thread about Strange Tales 110 and not about picture quality. A new thread can be started for that debate.

:preach:

By the hoary hosts!

Dr. Strange rules!

I'm looking forward to hearing some Strange news at SDCC.

Me too, given that my entire slabbed run of Strange Tales is being auctioned this August. :wishluck:

... it seems like this should be a thread about Strange Tales 110 and not about picture quality.

:gossip: PQ = Page Quality

A new thread can be started for that debate.

Very true, but for this particular fellow the venue hardly matters.

2f2dbaf0-a627-495c-9773-5ed10bdeb11b_zpsc31beb1a.jpg

... it seems like this should be a thread about Strange Tales 110 and not about picture quality.

:gossip: PQ = Page Quality

A new thread can be started for that debate.

Very true, but for this particular fellow the venue hardly matters.

2f2dbaf0-a627-495c-9773-5ed10bdeb11b_zpsc31beb1a.jpg

:eyeroll:

-J.