• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

The Superman & Batman covers from this time period are mostly drawn by Win Mortimer who I've come to appreciate more over the years.

[

What he might have lacked in refinement he made up for in highly detailed scenes.

The Superman & Batman covers from this time period are mostly drawn by Win Mortimer who I've come to appreciate more over the years.

[

What he might have lacked in refinement he made up for in highly detailed scenes.

His work is not always first rate but the proportion of hits to misses improved markedly starting in 1953 or so. He has an excellent sense of perspective so, as you note, he did a great job when placing the action within a scene.

WF76.jpg

Adventure196.jpg

Yes, I'm quite aware that Winslow Mortimer drew a lot of these covers; he was a wonderful cover artist! One of DC's unsung heroes!

Nice one, Steve. I was planning on posting here myself soon, since I picked up some Adventures in an auction, but hadn't decided which ones. Took some inspiration from you - and the cheers for the apes - and settled on this one:

Adventure196_zpsc7b5f207.jpg

Very nice copy of a tough book. Great colors.

One of these days, when you're at a Manchester United/Chelsea fixture, I'm gonna have to surreptitiously enter your abode and pilfer all your pre-code Adventure Comics. Don't care that I'll have to pay for a flight from the USA to England to do so.. You have the best darn Adventure collection on these boards though I enjoy looking at Dan's and some others as well.

BTW--Why is is that England doesn't make it to a knockout round in the last two World Cups and the United States--not exactly a bastion of World football--actually does go farther. One of the great mysteries of life, I guess.

Can't make it to SDCC this year, but I hope next year we can both meet up there or even at a show in London.

I was pleased to find a copy of this issue.

df4d9a5e-858a-44cc-b22f-ee5515a97916_zps8aac7965.jpg

Sweet!

I'm sure when the authorities search those kids' hideout they'll find scores of pre-code horror books.

Looks like except for the Adventure 100, all the books I got in this lot featured Win Mortimer covers. Since he's been getting much love in this thread, here are a few more:

Adventure172_zpse2804ab5.jpg

Adventure181_zps4cf87984.jpg

Adventure189_zpsfbcdd6d0.jpg

Finally found a beautiful copy of this book. I always enjoyed covers with other characters from Superboy's home planet arriving on Earth.

Adventure Comics 242: Cover date: November 1957

AdventureComics242_zpsc5cebe2c.jpg

Very nice copy. This issue is a real favorite of mine. Just love the cover and first read the Superboy story in Superboy #129.

aaa718e6-7bd6-46a6-bce3-95bdc392b50c_zpsa3a52864.jpg

So now along with Silver's copy and mine there are at least three Adventure #242s here on the boards!