• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Bit funky & fragile, but early Tubb’s are tough.

The Hand of Havoc by E C Tubb, Merit Books July 1954, cover by Ron Turner

An Earth agent must track down 5 Venusian plague carriers who refuse to admit that the interplanetary war is over. They must be stopped before the deadly Rhylla disease decimates the population of Earth. “One of Tubb’s best early novels…” (H&H)

Nice. :applause:

Continuing on with the "funky and fragile" theme, I present my Astonishing Stories from September 1941 which has a plague story by Frank Belknap Long.

astonishing194109.jpg

plaguefromtomorrow.jpg

Illustration by Hannes Bok

Bit funky & fragile, but early Tubb’s are tough.

The Hand of Havoc by E C Tubb, Merit Books July 1954, cover by Ron Turner

An Earth agent must track down 5 Venusian plague carriers who refuse to admit that the interplanetary war is over. They must be stopped before the deadly Rhylla disease decimates the population of Earth. “One of Tubb’s best early novels…” (H&H)

Nice. :applause:

Continuing on with the "funky and fragile" theme, I present my Astonishing Stories from September 1941 which has a nice plague story by Fank Belknap Long.

astonishing194109.jpg

plaguefromtomorrow.jpg

Illustration by Hannes Bok

Siegel wrote a story about the Purple Plague the year before.

14680401666_aa8fc54639_c.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

My buddy Mark Finn is working on an anthology of Gorillas from the Pulps right now. Should be fun!

If Mark's book also included stories that featured monkeys and orangutans he could add these to his list. :)

"That Receding Brow" by Max Brand from All-Story Weekly (February 15, 1919).

allstory19190215.jpg

thatrecedingbrow.jpg

And, "Monkey Eyes" by Erle Stanley Gardner

Argosy (July 27, 1929).

argosy19290727.jpg

monkeyeyes.jpg

I just verified that ‘Ted’ Tubb well deserves his reputation as a master of GA SF. ‘The Resurrected Man’ is a brief gritty novel of great power. Baron, space pilot in an interplanetary war, has to abandon his ship after it’s hit. He watches his gunner die with suit torn from flying debris, and drifts through space hoping for rescue. When air runs out he opens helmet and ‘breathes space’. His perfectly frozen body is found five years later, and two scientists decide he is the ultimate candidate for their experiments in ‘revivification’. Grudgingly brought back to life, Baron soon finds how harsh it can be. At Fleet HQ he is told that he longer has rank or back pay as he is ‘dead’. A lawyer soon confirms he has no legal rights. He starts drinking and takes the only job he can get, working in the radioactive sludge pits. Then the alcohol-/-radiation exposure combo starts working on his brain- altered by surgery in the resurrection. So his retrogression proceeds as his situation worsens…falling into the hands of those eager to exploit his ‘freak’ status. Tubb pulls no punches and keeps the emotional intensity in hyperdrive.

Though I cheaped this one by buying the mag (12/58), after having read I may want to pick up the PB as ‘homage’ to a classic.

sat1258.JPG

tubbrm.JPG

Edited by pcalhoun

I understand that there were a number of science fiction stories published in the 1930's based on the myth of Shambala, but I'm having difficulty tracking them down and I'm curious to know what they were (see Serendip). Any ideas guys?

I'm currently in Oregon attending my nephew's wedding.

When I return home I'll go through my pulps and see if I can find anything.

Here's a 1924 book by another author I've been meaning to read...

om.jpg

"Talbot Mundy's famous metaphysical novel is set in the Himalayas. The central figure is a Lama, wise, winning, compassionate, whose story -- told in his own words -- on a crag by the roaring Brahmaputra will capture the imagination and reveal for some readers occult truths."

I understand that there were a number of science fiction stories published in the 1930's based on the myth of Shambala, but I'm having difficulty tracking them down and I'm curious to know what they were (see Serendip). Any ideas guys?

Thanks BZ.

om.jpg

"Talbot Mundy's famous metaphysical novel is set in the Himalayas. The central figure is a Lama, wise, winning, compassionate, whose story -- told in his own words -- on a crag by the roaring Brahmaputra will capture the imagination and reveal for some readers occult truths."

Another one I've never heard of - and the date is surprisingly early. Love the cover!

Thanks BZ.

My pleasure.

We'll be here for another 9 days.

We're presently in Eugene but we will also be spending a few days in Salem and Portland.

If anyone knows of any cool shops, museums, or tourist attractions you can recommend,

I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Powell's City of Books is a book lover's paradise, the largest used and new bookstore in the world. Located in downtown Portland, Oregon, and occupying an entire city block, the City stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles.

Each month, the Basil Hallward Gallery (located upstairs in the Pearl Room) hosts a new art exhibit, as well as dozens of author events featuring acclaimed writers, artists, and thinkers such as Roddy Doyle, Joyce Carol Oates, Michael Chabon, Annie Leibovitz, and President Jimmy Carter.

The City's Rare Book Room gathers autographed first editions and other collectible volumes for readers in search of a one-of-a-kind treasure.

..... sounds fantastic. I was checking out Rogovin's site and noticed he had a fair amount of Pulps in real nice shape. This cover really caught my eye.... out of my price range unfortunately. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

AMAZINGSTORIESV4-9.png

My buddy Mark Finn is working on an anthology of Gorillas from the Pulps right now. Should be fun!

If Mark's book also included stories that featured monkeys and orangutans he could add these to his list. :)

"That Receding Brow" by Max Brand from All-Story Weekly (February 15, 1919).

allstory19190215.jpg

thatrecedingbrow.jpg

And, "Monkey Eyes" by Erle Stanley Gardner

Argosy (July 27, 1929).

argosy19290727.jpg

monkeyeyes.jpg

These great! And name author too.

And that Moon Pool cover! :o

om.jpg

Another one I've never heard of - and the date is surprisingly early. Love the cover!

Mundy was a theosophist, and he often incorporated esoteric and occult traditions in his stories. But it is early -- most westerners weren't exposed to the Shambhala/Shangri-La concept until Hilton's Lost Horizon in 1933 and that of course started a number knock-offs.

om.jpg

..that did jog my elbow to recall "The Man Who Would be King" by Rudyard Kipling (a novella written in 1888) and the subject of a well-known and wonderful movie adaptation by John Huston, which features a semi-mythical kingdom, Kafiristan.

The artist William Strang did a series of Goya-esque etchings of Kiplings stories, of which this was one.

strang_william_themanwhowouldbeking_zpsa94f85da.jpg

Kipling was supposedly inspired by the life of Josiah Harlan (1799-1871), 'Prince of Ghor', an American adventurer who was a soldier, spy and governor in the Punjab, Afghanistan and Central Asia.He claimed to have obtained the right to rule a 'kingdom' in the Hindu Kush.

"The Son of Man goes forth to war,

A golden crown to gain;

His blood-red banner streams afar--

Who follows in his train?"

Kipling

gpIPgXbP351oZDavhpf0VrXSpWC_zpsa4abc1f6.jpg