• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading
7 7

150 posts in this topic

I got a couple blue label with unwitnessed signatures. in the text it does say "names written in marker on cover" of course they are 6.0, does the grade determine whether a green or blue too?

No, if it's Qualified, they grade the book just like the signature isn't there but slap the green label on it.

Quick question: Can a book with a missing back cover get a green label (does that fall in to your category 1)? Or does that get a blue label + INCOMPLETE designation, probably limited to a 0.5?

Interesting question. I always thought that they were blue label incomplete 0.5s, but I would love to hear other opinions. (shrug)

Quick question: Can a book with a missing back cover get a green label (does that fall in to your category 1)? Or does that get a blue label + INCOMPLETE designation, probably limited to a 0.5?

Interesting question. I always thought that they were blue label incomplete 0.5s, but I would love to hear other opinions. (shrug)

There are a few opinions in this old thread.

Thanks

Thanks

+1 Thanks to the both of you.

Bumping this thread to point out this book, which has a "large piece" missing from one page that "affects story", but still got a blue label 6.0. Is this a mistake on cgc's part? Should this be a green label?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-49-CGC-6-0-OW-to-W-Pages-Blue-Label-Incomplete-Estate-Listing-/262276877699

Edited by cousin itt

Hi all, new to the boards but old to comic book collecting. Love all the information sharing here. Does anyone know how much CGC deducts for unverified signatures if you want a blue label? Have a bunch of comics signed before CGC even existed that I'm thinking about getting slabbed. Thanks.

On 3/24/2014 at 4:27 PM, madnstuff-migration said:

I got a couple blue label with unwitnessed signatures. in the text it does say "names written in marker on cover" of course they are 6.0, does the grade determine whether a green or blue too?

From what I have found out about this as i have a lot of books that ive had autographed or have a COA (ex Dynamic Forces or other) that the 6.0 grade may allow for that autograph (especially when its on the inside and doesnt affect the cover) if the rest of the book is a 6.0 .. ie.. the signature doesnt detract from the grade that its going to be given if the sig wasnt there.. then it would get the Blue label.. if the book would grade a 9 if it didnt have the sig but would grade say 6.5 or something a good bit lower then it gets a green label.. noting that the signature exists.. but that it is "a name written on xx page/cover " and not "Stan Lee written on the cover" etc.. 

I get the reasoning.. but seems that something like a Dynamic forces or other reasonably well known company certificate could be given a little more consideration.   Again like you said though.. COAs could be faked.

It's ridiculous that merely missing an ad page brings a book to a 0.5 PR, and even more ridiculous that it does not matter if its a Story page or Ad page....a story page I can understand but seriously who cares about an ad page that much?!   And if missing an ad page etc. makes a book a 0.5 then what is CGC doing?...they are not "grading" anything and what is the point of sending it in?  Anyone can see that a book is missing a page, CGC is supposing be grade the condition and there is nothing to grade when it's already a 0.5...it's pointless.

Edited by nrad1968

hi all, new here.

just a quick question, what are your thoughts on green labels due to price stickers? and I mean the small stickers most shops put on covers. would this alone steer you clear of a green label or it depends on what book we are talking about? I'm interested in hearing opinions. I have a 9.0 signature series batman adventures 12 I purchased with the signature acknowledged on the label and also "price sticker on cover". is that a type of book everyone tends to avoid? just wondering. thanks.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:23 AM, saul1992 said:

hi all, new here.

just a quick question, what are your thoughts on green labels due to price stickers? and I mean the small stickers most shops put on covers. would this alone steer you clear of a green label or it depends on what book we are talking about? I'm interested in hearing opinions. I have a 9.0 signature series batman adventures 12 I purchased with the signature acknowledged on the label and also "price sticker on cover". is that a type of book everyone tends to avoid? just wondering. thanks.

Some people prefer to have a downgraded blue label vs a qualified green label. If the price sticker is small, it may not detract much. Sort of like a piece of tape. Depends on size and location too.

Would it be of any advantage to have a blue label saying .5 over having a qualified grade? Wouldn't it be more informative to say this book would be a 3.5 or 9.0, except for the missing centerfold that affects the story, than to have both books slabbed as .5? I may be confused, but if i have 2 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15, one in great condition say a 8.0, and 1 a 2.0 looking condition, but both are missing centerfolds, What good is a .5 slab on both books? Am i just confused?:pullhair:  

On 6/21/2018 at 6:33 PM, Dino-Mutt said:

Would it be of any advantage to have a blue label saying .5 over having a qualified grade? Wouldn't it be more informative to say this book would be a 3.5 or 9.0, except for the missing centerfold that affects the story, than to have both books slabbed as .5? I may be confused, but if i have 2 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15, one in great condition say a 8.0, and 1 a 2.0 looking condition, but both are missing centerfolds, What good is a .5 slab on both books? Am i just confused?:pullhair:  

Agreed...the "0.5" grade for a missing ad page etc. is ridiculous because CGC is not doing any GRADING, and the "condition" does not matter....makes zero sense.  To me a missing page or ad should always be given a green label and the rest of the book graded as usual....either that or a missing ad page for example should only drop the grade down a smaller about...but taking it down to 0.5 makes the whole thing pointless.