• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

Alex Kurtzman Heads Universal's Classic Monsters Shared Cinematic Universe

-------------------------------------

Today, Deadline is reporting that Universal has selected Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan will be in charge of creating a shared cinematic universe for their classic movie monsters: Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, Creature Of The Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man, Bride Of Frankenstein, and The Mummy. Kurtzman is best known for collaborating with Roberto Orci on screenplays/stories for Michael Bay'sTransformers films, J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films and Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man films. While Chris Morgan has written five of The Fast & Furious films.

-------------------------------------

Now that is interesting movie news.

:whee:

Sounds great! Now they just need to keep the original Jack Pierce makeups for the characters(updated somewhat for modern audiences, of course).

Huge fan. Grew up with them, had all the Aurora kits and all that. But...

They were unique to their time and probably should be left alone. They're really not like Godzilla or Planet of the Apes or other remakes. There's a certain innocence and charm that's not going to translate well with re-imaginings. imho. I put it on par with re-doing The Three Stooges.

Anyway, good luck with that Universal. :wishluck:

They were unique to their time and probably should be left alone. They're really not like Godzilla or Planet of the Apes or other remakes. There's a certain innocence and charm that's not going to translate well with re-imaginings. imho. I put it on par with re-doing The Three Stooges.

I think Gothic horror can always work, if done correctly.

I had the Aurora kits too. In fact, I think I still have a few.

I hope I'm wrong. But just because Universal owns them all shouldn't mean they share a universe. Unless of course, they revive Abbott and Costello to pull 'em all together.

I hope I'm wrong. But just because Universal owns them all shouldn't mean they share a universe. Unless of course, they revive Abbott and Costello to pull 'em all together.

Well, they did share a universe in the old movies, at least in the mid forties(House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula had all of the main monsters in them, and Frankenstein met the Wolfman in 1943).

I was thinking more of Creature From the Black Lagoon. A mystery set in the Amazon seems worlds away from all the Euro Gothic stuff. But, I'm probably wrong and it will all turn out great. :)

A classic I do think they could remake for today... The Man from Planet X. :popcorn:

I wonder who owns the rights.

I LOVED the Aurora kits! However, Creature from the Black Lagoon is hardly gothic horror. I see the CFTBL existing on his own. What plot contrivance is going to bring Dracula to visit the Amazon.....or Im-Ho-Tep?

I wrote a screenplay years ago where they all got together once a year on Halloween to play Poker.

- Dr. Frankenstein shows up with the Monster just after giving him the brain of a newly deceased Poker Pro to see if it works......

- Dracula goes on a beer run and gets arrested and the gang has to break him out of prison before the sun comes up....

- Everyone gives Im-Ho-Tep a bad time for getting his kicked by Brenden Fraser...........

I was thinking more of Creature From the Black Lagoon. A mystery set in the Amazon seems worlds away from all the Euro Gothic stuff. But, I'm probably wrong and it will all turn out great. :)

A classic I do think they could remake for today... The Man from Planet X. :popcorn:

I wonder who owns the rights.

You're right about the Creature. I don't know how they would get him to work well with the big three(Frank, Drac and Wolf), but maybe they could just make it clear they're in the same universe without interacting. Jeff Rovin wrote a novel years ago called "Return of the Wolfman" which was a sequel to the Universal movies, and if I'm remembering correctly, he incorporated the Creature into the plot somehow.

Whoever owns the United Artists library has the rights to Planet X now, I think.