• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

Thats where you are wrong chip. You have asked for help. Most sales threads start out "i need this for my family" or "ex-girlfriend messed up my ebay and i need ebay to support my family" or whatever. You may not directly ask for help, but you are very close to it.

I'm not ever asking for a handout or a donation. I offer books for sale. Just because I state the reason why I'm selling doesn't mean I'm asking for a damn handout.

Absolutely it is. If you tried selling those same books with the headline "i just feel like selling them" probably wont sell as many as selling in a thread titled "selling my comics. need help to support my family". You not playing the handout card but you are definitely playing the sympathy card.

You act like I'm begging for money and offering up NOTHING in return.

Chip,

We are all selling books for one reason or another, most of us for our family. When you state what the "reason" is, especially if (under any degree of description) family is brought into it, it is done to help solicit an emotional response on a financial transaction.

Why do you think the Humane Society shows images of all the poor puppies during fundraising campaigns on TV?

That commercial gets me every time. I have to switch the channel and come back but that commercial lasts Forever!

I'm picturing an episode of the Carol Burnett show where she brought a loaf of bread to a pot luck and the thing percolated until the inevitable 'Shut up old woman'...

2b1eac48b534e77240bc66db5d7cc8fd.jpg

lol

You are showing your age Kav

I'm going to pipe up even though I usually don't, but I have a few things I'd like to point out.

I've been following this thread from the very beginning, missed the original Supes art my seconds and think for the most part it is a good thing. Of course there are going to be hiccups as it evolves and grows and I think there is a decent chance for it to eventually run smoothly.

The main reason I'm posting is because it's seems to have taken a very bad turn. I understand if people don't like Chip's offer or think its equal to what he received and that is open to discussion. But this has almost become a personal attack against him which is not fair at all.

There are rules in place to "weed out" the bottom feeders etc yet they have not been allowed to run their course a single time before the thread has exploded with commentary. If Chip's offer was not taken in 3 days he'd get a strike and would either up the ante next time or choose to not participate anymore, but within 24 hours there was so much commentary there was no way for the rules to be utilized.

I understand everybody wants a fast moving thread with multiple offers, but it seems very unrealistic to expect that this early in its development.

As a little side bar, the offerings that started this thread were extremely generous and there was realistically no way to keep that level up so I think if this thread does continue we are going to have to see a levelling out of the stuff offered.

2c

Randy

This was a well written post that deserves consideration so I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

I'm picturing an episode of the Carol Burnett show where she brought a loaf of bread to a pot luck and the thing percolated until the inevitable 'Shut up old woman'...

2b1eac48b534e77240bc66db5d7cc8fd.jpg

lol

You are showing your age Kav

ha ha

Oh yeah.....

I'm going to pipe up even though I usually don't, but I have a few things I'd like to point out.

I've been following this thread from the very beginning, missed the original Supes art my seconds and think for the most part it is a good thing. Of course there are going to be hiccups as it evolves and grows and I think there is a decent chance for it to eventually run smoothly.

The main reason I'm posting is because it's seems to have taken a very bad turn. I understand if people don't like Chip's offer or think its equal to what he received and that is open to discussion. But this has almost become a personal attack against him which is not fair at all.

There are rules in place to "weed out" the bottom feeders etc yet they have not been allowed to run their course a single time before the thread has exploded with commentary. If Chip's offer was not taken in 3 days he'd get a strike and would either up the ante next time or choose to not participate anymore, but within 24 hours there was so much commentary there was no way for the rules to be utilized.

I understand everybody wants a fast moving thread with multiple offers, but it seems very unrealistic to expect that this early in its development.

As a little side bar, the offerings that started this thread were extremely generous and there was realistically no way to keep that level up so I think if this thread does continue we are going to have to see a levelling out of the stuff offered.

2c

Randy

This was a well written post that deserves consideration so I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

No goddamit

FREEBIE

Please take these books to help my family.

:gossip:(My wife is mildly annoyed with my collecting habit)

Image #1's. Take all or nothing.

Sheltered #1 CGC 9.8

The Fuse (Eh! Variant) CGC 9.8

Deadly Class (Eh! Variant) CGC 9.8

The Maxx #1 CGC 9.8

Click images to embiggen.

hdf9jVzm.jpg8dJpah0m.jpgOdpmnV7m.jpgHbVjqNHm.jpg

That copper age thread about books heating up was one. Certain PM's from trustworthy board members. I cant be the only person that see's the attitude.

What, the one where divad got in my face for no good reason and I defended myself?

"PMs from trustworthy board members?" Make up some more evidence, will ya?

Thats where you are wrong chip. You have asked for help. Most sales threads start out "i need this for my family" or "ex-girlfriend messed up my ebay and i need ebay to support my family" or whatever. You may not directly ask for help, but you are very close to it.

I'm not ever asking for a handout or a donation. I offer books for sale. Just because I state the reason why I'm selling doesn't mean I'm asking for a damn handout.

Absolutely it is. If you tried selling those same books with the headline "i just feel like selling them" probably wont sell as many as selling in a thread titled "selling my comics. need help to support my family". You not playing the handout card but you are definitely playing the sympathy card.

You act like I'm begging for money and offering up NOTHING in return.

Chip,

We are all selling books for one reason or another, most of us for our family. When you state what the "reason" is, especially if (under any degree of description) family is brought into it, it is done to help solicit an emotional response on a financial transaction.

Why do you think the Humane Society shows images of all the poor puppies during fundraising campaigns on TV?

That commercial gets me every time. I have to switch the channel and come back but that commercial lasts Forever!

that Sarah McLaughlin song gets to you to huh. :( Edited by jsilverjanet

FREEBIE

Please take these books to help my family.

:gossip:(My wife is mildly annoyed with my collecting habit)

Image #1's. Take all or nothing.

Sheltered #1 CGC 9.8

The Fuse (Eh! Variant) CGC 9.8

Deadly Class (Eh! Variant) CGC 9.8

The Maxx #1 CGC 9.8

Click images to embiggen.

hdf9jVzm.jpg8dJpah0m.jpgOdpmnV7m.jpgHbVjqNHm.jpg

I cant believe i missed that!!! !grerrrrr

2c

Randy

Randy, my problem wasn't even with his offer. I have no idea what Kamandi is, but people were talking about it some some obviously do. It was his arrogant attitude of:

I'm not changing it. It's good enough, :facepalm: I can't do this :facepalm: enough, but I bit my lip. Like you say - strikes will be given and life goes on. But then someone showed me his newly found collection and I couldn't help but feel :sick: and :frustrated:

This guy has played the "poor me" card so many times and the outpouring of sympathy and good will that is thrust his way is what makes this place :cloud9:

But his dismissive response to pay that back is quite frankly disgusting. I've had several people PM me the same thing. It's a slap in the face of what this community has done for him. I hope he gets his sleep and takes a good hard look in the mirror when he wakes up.

"This offer is good enough" is just :facepalm:

I get all that and I don't know Chip or his previous interactions on the board. But if this is the type of behaviour you don't want here, let the rules weed it out rather than heads on confrontation. I know it will take longer and be frustrating but will result in less butthurt in the long run.