• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

Regarding the 1 month per claim rule.

I'd suggest that if someone claims something they can't claim again within one month, UNLESS an offer sits unclaimed for 24 hours.

These types of threads will only survive, in my opinion, because of the regulars that participate. Locking out the regulars is going to result in offers being posted and sitting for 3 days, offers that might be decent, and result in a strike that isn't warranted.

If someone posts something and it goes unclaimed for 24 hours, put it on the open market for anyone to claim it.

I don't agree with this. I think the rules are fine as Swick has them (for now)

I don't think there is a large enough population of traders/givers/whatever to sustain this game with the rules as written. Once the regulars are locked out for a month offers are going to sit and people are going to get strikes that may be unwarranted.

Problem #2 is, once someone's offer gets a strike, I was told previously that their offer comes down but the previous offer doesn't come back up, it's expected that someone/anyone can step in and post an offer. I know there are people on this board that would do that, but it's not exactly fair that someone has to jumpstart the thread with nothing in return.

I was under the impression that no one ships their item till the next guy's offer gets taken so this wouldnt happen.

Your Really Really need to READ the rules!!! The rules from PIF do not apply here. lol

Just for the record, I am not saying we need to change the time limit rules right now. I am simply saying that in the future it is something we need to be aware of because it is possible that we run out of participants and someone gets dinged for it. To ignore the possibility would be naive but I agree with Justin and Hector that for now it is ok.

I'd suggest that if someone claims something they can't claim again within one month, UNLESS an offer sits unclaimed for 24 hours.

These types of threads will only survive, in my opinion, because of the regulars that participate. Locking out the regulars is going to result in offers being posted and sitting for 3 days, offers that might be decent, and result in a strike that isn't warranted.

If someone posts something and it goes unclaimed for 24 hours, put it on the open market for anyone to claim it.

I don't think there is a large enough population of traders/givers/whatever to sustain this game with the rules as written. Once the regulars are locked out for a month offers are going to sit and people are going to get strikes that may be unwarranted.

Problem #2 is, once someone's offer gets a strike, I was told previously that their offer comes down but the previous offer doesn't come back up, it's expected that someone/anyone can step in and post an offer. I know there are people on this board that would do that, but it's not exactly fair that someone has to jumpstart the thread with nothing in return.

I was under the impression that no one ships their item till the next guy's offer gets taken so this wouldnt happen.

Your Really Really need to READ the rules!!! The rules from PIF do not apply here. lol

Just for the record, I am not saying we need to change the time limit rules right now. I am simply saying that in the future it is something we need to be aware of because it is possible that we run out of participants and someone gets dinged for it. To ignore the possibility would be naive but I agree with Justin and Hector that for now it is ok.

I read the rules-they dont address this. Currently someone can snatch something, post something lame. if it goes unclaimed they get to keep the item, get a strike, and someone else steps in to post an offering-without receiving anything.

I read the rules-they dont address this. Currently someone can snatch something, post something lame. if it goes unclaimed they get to keep the item, get a strike, and someone else steps in to post an offering-without receiving anything.

There will be an uproar. I hope CAHokie hasn't shipped his items out yet. The current offerer has already stated that he's leaving his mystery box offer up because it's still in the rules till the next person has something to offer. :facepalm: A decent person would have just changed his offer up without waiting for the rule to take effect on the next person.

There will be an uproar. I hope CAHokie hasn't shipped his items out yet. The current offerer has already stated that he's leaving his mystery box offer up because it's still in the rules till the next person has something to offer. :facepalm: A decent person would have just changed his offer up without waiting for the rule to take effect on the next person.

+1

This thread (and PiF) reminds me of that Saw movie where everyone can survive if they work together, but ultimately everyone is out for themselves and everyone looses (you know... The one where the dude has to fill up the cup with blood by running his hand over a skill saw).

No disrespect to Swick and what he's trying to so here or players who respect the spirit of the "giving" tree.

If someone posts something lame, the previous poster can veto it!

Back to you Hokie....

This thread (and PiF) reminds me of that Saw movie where everyone can survive if they work together, but ultimately everyone is out for themselves and everyone looses (you know... The one where the dude has to fill up the cup with blood by running his hand over a skill saw).

No disrespect to Swick and what he's trying to so here or players who respect the spirit of the "giving" tree.

I see what you're saying but the board is filled with critical thinkers and it's natural they would explore all possibilities like this. The giving can continue even with the discussion though....

I FULLY, 100% understand what everyone is saying. That unless everyone in the community participated, the thread will stall even if a good offer is up. If people used up their monthly :takeit: and someone posted amazing OA or a high slabbed book or something people were falling over themselves for and no one took it, that would be kind of silly if they got a strike. doh!

But I can't think of any other way to prevent people who constantly hm when a good offer is thrown up and are watching this thread like a hawk to grab something. I GUESS that it the onus would fall back on the offeror to say (tsk) "I feel like you've taken enough recently." Like I said, originally I thought the idea of someone claiming something every few months was more than enough taking. I spoke to a few people and got their opinions and listened to the advice. I think taking something every 30 days is fair. How much do you REALLY have to take? (shrug) Sadly, the think to also consider as a repercussion of this rule is what someone already threw out:

"What if I use my 'take it' and something "better" comes along?"

Sadly, I think some may really be thinking this and even though there is a good offer on the table and someone is thinking about taking it, it's sad that they may "hold out" for something more. I really don't know what to do I guess. Maybe we can revisit it when we have a month into the thread?

:idea: How about this - If a generous offer is sitting there for over 24 hours and a large majority have used up their "quota" for the month and would take something - maybe they can PM the offeror and tell them what they would like to offer up in return. Maybe the original offeror will say "that's cool, that's a generous offer" and GIVE them an additional "take it". :idea:

I <3 you.

And you don't even LIKE horror movies! :baiting: I COULD see that analogy coming from Geoff! :D