• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars #1 question

26 posts in this topic

I don't recall if it was the movie or the book, but prior to his "strangling" that general/admiral character, he had the cup float to him as a demonstration of his powers.

I thought it was in the movie too, as I never actually read the comic book, yet seem to recall this. Either way, it wasn't his. :)

This question has haunted me since the actual book came out.

Why is Darth Vader holding a cup of hot coffee?

Fourth draft:

MOTTI

The Death Star is now the ultimate power in the universe…

Vader stirs slightly and a cup mysteriously floats into his hand.

VADER

Don’t become too proud of your pretty machines… for The Force of Others is still the ultimate power in the universe.

MOTTI

Don’t try to fear us with your sorcerer’s ways. Even with your religious hocus-pocus you were unable to retrieve the stolen data… or find the hidden rebel base… you’re ways ahh…

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue.

VADER

Your lack of faith is disturbing.

TARKIN

Enough of this, release him! These arguments are pointless. Lord Vader we still expect you to find the hidden rebel base before this station becomes operational. It is the Emperor’s will… you were sent here to enforce it.

VADER

As the Emperor wills it, so it shall be. You will have the location of the rebel fortress and I will have the stolen data destroyed.

He raises his hand and crumples the metal cup before him without touching it.

-------------------------------------

Fourth draft (revised):

MOTTI

Any attack made against this station by the rebels would be a useless gesture .. no matter what technical datas they've obtained. This battle station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it!

Vader stirs slightly and a cup mysteriously floats into his hand.

VADER

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created. The ability to destroy a planet, or whole system is insignificant next to the cosmic Force.

MOTTI

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up those stolen data tapes... or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebel's hidden fortress. I have to laugh .. ah ...

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue under Vader's spell.

VADER

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TARKIN

Enough of this! Vader, release him. This bickering is pointless. Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the rebel fortress by the time this station is operational. We will then crush this rebellion with one swift stroke.

VADER

As the Emperor wills it, so it shall be.

--------------------------------

Fourth Draft (revised - public):

MOTTI

Any attack made by the Rebels against this station would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've obtained. This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it!

VADER

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

MOTTI

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fort...

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue under Vader's spell.

VADER

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TARKIN

Enough of this! Vader, release him!

VADER

As you wish.

TARKIN

This bickering is pointless. Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the Rebel fortress by the time this station is operational. We will then crush the Rebellion with one swift stroke.

--------------------------------

Novelization:

A huge metal-clad hand gestured slightly, and one of the filled cups on the table drifted responsively into it. With a slightly admonishing tone the Dark Lord continued. "Don't become too proud of this technological terror you've spawned, Tarkin. The ability to destroy a city, a world, a whole system is still insignificant when set against the Force."

The revised fourth draft is the draft that the movie was shot from and the revised fourth draft (public) is what we got.

Edited by rjrjr

He should've just Forced someone to hold the cup as he drank.

Could he drink through his helmet? That's the part that makes no sense. Want to display your power, have everyone float around smashing into each other. Levitate the table. Picking up a cup of hot liquid you can't drink doesn't do it for me.

Could he drink through his helmet? That's the part that makes no sense. Want to display your power, have everyone float around smashing into each other. Levitate the table. Picking up a cup of hot liquid you can't drink doesn't do it for me.

Of course he can drink though his helmet. When in need of something stronger than coffee.

1866735540_cd55fe2cde_b-cafe1c.jpg

And for those less formal moments.

darth-vader-on-vacation.jpg

Of course he can drink though his helmet. When in need of something stronger than coffee.

1866735540_cd55fe2cde_b-cafe1c.jpg

And for those less formal moments.

darth-vader-on-vacation.jpg

lol reminded me of the Robot Chicken skit where Palpatine was trying to order lunch.

I always assumed he sucked liquids (and solids, eww) through his mouthpiece area.

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE! Liquids and solids are simply "absorbed" as needed through the power of THE FORCE! I find your lack of faith in the force disturbing. Your feeble mind is no match to the power of THE FORCE!

And now you must DIIIIII............smiley-sw022.gif

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE! Liquids and solids are simply "absorbed" as needed through the power of THE FORCE! I find your lack of faith in the force disturbing. Your feeble mind is no match to the power of THE FORCE!

And now you must DIIIIII............smiley-sw022.gif

Star Wars!!!! :cloud9:

OMG! Tim posting somewhere besides the PGM forum?!?! And twice, no less. meh

diva_smiley-sw022.gif Why I'll fix you, you little....oh wait that's better!

diva_

a person_without_enough_empathyy divad that must have her way exactly, or no way at all. often rude and belittles people, believes that everyone is beneath her and thinks that she is so much more loved than what she really is. selfish, spoiled, and overly dramatic.

The name, the attitude. My work is done here!

diva_

a person_without_enough_empathyy divad that must have her way exactly, or no way at all. often rude and belittles people, believes that everyone is beneath her and thinks that she is so much more loved than what she really is. selfish, spoiled, and overly dramatic.

So now now you're a misogynist as well as a bigot? hm

diva_

So now now you're a misogynist as well as a bigot? hm

aHMDFf9.jpg

I always assumed he sucked liquids (and solids, eww) through his mouthpiece area.

I'd agree. He's still human so he'd be consuming water and a nutritionally infused liquid at points during the day. He can remove his helmet when in his chamber so possibly he eats solid foods then?