• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,132 posts in this topic

I love that Sgt. Rock digest!!

I bought it off the rack back in 1979 and it is chock full of silver age classics that I had never even seen before.

One of the things that makes it so tough in grade is that it the cover stock does not have a very glossy finish, so blemishes show up up very clearly. A 9.8 is something of a miracle.

It's notorious for being miscut/mi abound as well.

Shep

All the points you just mention here are dead on. I do have one that doesn't have the glossy finish. Also, the excessive glue along the spine or sometimes on the cover keeps away from being a 9.8.

Actually, the "Jonah Hex Other Western Tales" digests #1 through 3 are notoriously to have allot of printing defects. DC comics really did a poor job when printing those books out. I believe they're the most difficult ones to get in 9.8's.

Edited by vane

I bought it off the rack back in 1979 and it is chock full of silver age classics that I had never even seen before.

One of the things that makes it so tough in grade is that it the cover stock does not have a very glossy finish, so blemishes show up up very clearly. A 9.8 is something of a miracle.

Shep

All the points you just mention here are dead on. I do have one that doesn't have the glossy finish. Also, the excessive glue along the spine or sometimes on the cover keeps away from being a 9.8.

Actually, the "Jonah Hex Other Western Tales" digests #1 through 3 are notoriously to have allot of printing defects. DC comics really did a poor job when printing those books out. I believe they're the most difficult ones to get in 9.8's.

Have to agree they did do a poor job, as you can see my copy has nothing like the Gloss as on that 9.8

DCSpecialSeries18-SgtRocksPrizeBattleTalesfront_zps435ca88e.jpg

Shep

Have to agree they did do a poor job, as you can see my copy has nothing like the Gloss as on that 9.8

That still looks like a very nice copy. How is the back cover?

Shep

Not too bad but think the corners will drop it down a bit

DCSpecialSeries18-SgtRocksPrizeBattleTalesback_zps3eb9909c.jpg

Shep

Not too bad but think the corners will drop it down a bit

DCSpecialSeries18-SgtRocksPrizeBattleTalesback_zps3eb9909c.jpg

Yup there's that common printing defect among other DC digests. Looking at the back cover almost top right corner there's that horizontal line. What I call it a tear scrape. Even though...it's still a very nice book you have.

Edited by vane

Now here is a deal I just ran across on the Bay.

Still I am stumped why no one has bought these by now? hm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251555792422&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I have a few for sale here, maybe I should add a few 000000's to them :screwy:

Would have been real scary if someone actually bought them.

Been awhile since I've posted (or anybody for that matter) in this thread.

What do you guys think is the coolest war series to come out of the Bronze Age?

Unknown Soldier?

Losers?

USS Stevens?

Bob Kanigher's Gallery of War?

Medal of Honor?

Reasons and Details?

hm Good question.

Losers with Severin is sublime. The later stuff is hit and miss for me. Never liked the Kirby stuff and I'm a big Kirby fan. (although I'm due to revisit those. it's been years) I like the post Kirby issues. Evans was a bit rough by that time but there's some good stuff there.

Enemy Ace with Kubert is killer. What more can be said

USS Stevens is Glanzman goodness. Sadly underrated series. Love to see them collected. Glanzman's style isn't for everyone (although perfect for war stories) but he was amazingly consistent. USS Stevens is a great read.

If I had to rank them, I'd go with

1 - Enemy Ace

2 - Losers

3 - USS Stevens

4 - BK's GoW

5 - Medal of Honor

The bronze age is in many ways my favorite era for DC war comics. So many good reasons:

- Medal of Honor: great writing and stories from Norm Maurer. I just love those tales.

- USS Stevens: What can I say that hasn't been said already? Just classics.

- Dateline: Frontline: This is a totally underrated series. Really good writing, and some late-form Grandenetti all over the series.

- The Severin and Kirby Losers tales. Two completely different flavours, but amazing in different ways.

- Blitzkrieg. LOVED that series, and wish it would have appeared in some backup form, but the publisher killed it in spite of its success.

Makes me want to go read some!

Shep

Been awhile since I've posted (or anybody for that matter) in this thread.

What do you guys think is the coolest war series to come out of the Bronze Age?

Unknown Soldier?

Losers?

USS Stevens?

Bob Kanigher's Gallery of War?

Medal of Honor?

Reasons and Details?

Any/all of the BA Sgt. Rock stories drawn by Russ Heath in OAAW, starting around 214 or so through 281 (nearly the end of the run).

Kanigher and Kubert handle most of the scripting (Heath scripts occasionally, too), so the stories are solid -- very pared-down, fast-paced, and often quite grim, as befits the subject matter. But the visuals, especially from 241 - 264 (which is where Heath really hits his stride in a long, unbroken run), are nothing short of astounding. Heath seemed to be almost physically incapable of drawing anything poorly...

oaaw253p4.jpg

e3c313571ccd6974f7ee931ec3044431.jpg