• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I STILL am ??? why he doesn't just take the high road and write Jawn and see if there is anything he can do to make Jawn satisfied and get off of the list.

Instead of deflection, why not start there? (shrug)

\

The more he posts, the more you can see why this incident took place. That is why I think past actions and attitudes are relevant because it shows a pattern.

OK, so without going right to "the thread was still open & he bought it" - explain how jawn's actions make him the blameless victim in this.

Keep in mind, PM content however vague, his comprehension of PM content from his early May posts (price & holding the book), his (IMHO) mistaken impression that another $10 was all the seller wanted out of the book.

If you still find him innocent, then explain why he said he kept checking to see if the thread was open before he posted the "takeit" - who does that if they don't feel they are putting one over on someone & taking advantage of the situation.

(shrug)

The high road is still possible for the seller but the buyer's actions made it a pretty steep climb.

2c

Exactly! And not just on these boards but in general. A lot of people are bull headed and won't admit they are wrong

To be honest, massive spoon that he is, I don't see ocean being in the wrong in this specific instance. Lots of other occasions, sure, but not here.

If someone "pulled a jawn" on me, I would take that kind of crapola.

I STILL am ??? why he doesn't just take the high road and write Jawn and see if there is anything he can do to make Jawn satisfied and get off of the list.

\

The more he posts, the more you can see why this incident took place. That is why I think past actions and attitudes are relevant because it shows a pattern.

OK, so without going right to "the thread was still open & he bought it" - explain how jawn's actions make him the blameless victim in this.

Keep in mind, PM content however vague, his comprehension of PM content from his early May posts (price & holding the book), his (IMHO) mistaken impression that another $10 was all the seller wanted out of the book.

If you still find him innocent, then explain why he said he kept checking to see if the thread was open before he posted the "takeit" - who does that if they don't feel they are putting one over on someone & taking advantage of the situation.

(shrug)

The high road is still possible for the seller but the buyer's actions made it a pretty steep climb.

2c

Where is that post that said he kept checking the thread to see if it was closed? I remember reading it, but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know what page?

Jawn could also let Ocean off the hook but to blame him is a little absurd. This happens all the time where someone does not follow through and is put on the list. If you don't like that philosophy ( I don't ) then don't sell here or lobby to change the rules.

\

(shrug)

2c

Where is that post that said he kept checking the thread to see if it was closed? I remember reading it, but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know what page?

I thought that was something JC just made up or assumed. Was it part of an actual pm or statement?

(shrug)

I thought that came about because the seller had a habit of posting things on ebay and on here, and continuing to shop books here even when they are listed elsewhere. Which means they were still for sale here regardless of what he said until he actually closed the thread.

So if he told me "I think I'll keep it" I would wait to see him actually act on that statement, by closing the thread, or I would assume (from his past words and actions) that the book was still being shopped and was available. Which means if this was several hours later I would probably check the thread to see if he really meant it this time or if it was just more smoke to drive the price up.

That's how I read that at least.

\

(shrug)

2c

I thought that was something JC just made up or assumed. Was it part of an actual pm or statement?

Here's the link to the original post by jawn.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7659442#Post7659442

I linked it & pasted it the text bolded in my post early this morning - just open up the second spoiler to see it. here.

(thumbs u

\

(shrug)

2c

It was in the Probation thread on 5/2. It's my page #483 but I think I have my posts/page set to max.

"That's true, but how am I supposed to guess that? We did a little back and forth. He said he might hold onto it to take pictures, but an hour later the thread is still open so I make a solid offer. Thread still open, he thinks it might be too low, thinks he is going to hold onto it. Hours later thread still open I reply in PM and on the public thread that I will take it for the full price he was asking. If he wanted to keep it why keep the thread open? Maybe it was an oversight I don't know and really don't care at this point. He's not selling me the book. I need to work on some trades, and be happy with the one thing that worked out this week my freshly opened Doom Patrol #99."

*dang baba beat me to it by 4 seconds :)

Edited by techtre2003

(shrug)

I thought that came about because the seller had a habit of posting things on ebay and on here, and continuing to shop books here even when they are listed elsewhere. Which means they were still for sale here regardless of what he said until he actually closed the thread.

So if he told me "I think I'll keep it" I would wait to see him actually act on that statement, by closing the thread, or I would assume (from his past words and actions) that the book was still being shopped and was available. Which means if this was several hours later I would probably check the thread to see if he really meant it this time or if it was just more smoke to drive the price up.

Yes I can see a buyer using that approach, an alternative approach would be to privately clarify or post publicly with the "if available" considering the lack of a clear answer that he felt he was dealing with.

The seller left the door wide open for this to occur. Walking through that door & seizing the opportunity based on his understanding/misunderstanding of the seller's intentions is on the buyer, to some extent. To an extent that I feel let's the seller out of any obligation that makes him a PL candidate.

2c

So why didn't you? I am just curious and not being accusatory because obviously a lot of people never close threads for some reason. The thread was still pretty recent and you had offers from two people and realized it may be worth more than your asking price so why not close it down? You obviously had time and were on the site multiple times before it was claimed.
It slipped my mind

Just like the other day when I had posted a few books for sale I thought I took them all off ebay but left one by accident I ended up taking it down but putting it back up a few days later because people didn't seem like they wanted the book. I only had it up on ebay and here on purpose one time and that was months ago before I knew I couldn't have them on both. I even took all my books off ebay that time and my thread still got deleted 2 times and I received a strike even tho they were only listed on here. I know now only list on here or ebay. Joe is right I can be a sometimes I don't mean to come off as an . I should have taken it down and didn't and thats the only reason i'm on the list. Next time instead of saying "might" or "think" i'll just come out and say NO. I don't try to rip people off when i'm selling things. The feedback on here and ebay should show that.

I thought I made it clear in PM( I posted every PM I ever received from him) that I wasn't selling to him but I guess I didn't and i'm on the list

(shrug)

Yes I can see a buyer using that approach, an alternative approach would be to privately clarify or post publicly with the "if available" considering the lack of a clear answer that he felt he was dealing with.

The seller left the door wide open for this to occur. Walking through that door & seizing the opportunity based on his understanding/misunderstanding of the seller's intentions is on the buyer, to some extent. To an extent that I feel let's the seller out of any obligation that makes him a PL candidate.

2c

As to the bold above, yes. I would have handled it that way to clarify the situation.

Thank you for a straightforward answer. At this point, there is so much controversy I agree that the only fair thing to do at this point is to remove him from the PL. I have no idea how that is done though. I am guessing from Jawn who does not care anymore anyway?

Going forward, I would just suggest taking your time when listing things here and on ebay and being clear when making decisions. You may not have intended it, but you have come off in several unrelated threads as being a not so straight person to deal with. I am not saying you are shady but reputation means a lot on these boards. If a problem does come up deal with it as positive as you can and don't be one of those guys that basically says you will sell regardless of what anyone thinks of you.

Thank you for a straightforward answer. At this point, there is so much controversy I agree that the only fair thing to do at this point is to remove him from the PL. I have no idea how that is done though. I am guessing from Jawn who does not care anymore anyway?

Going forward, I would just suggest taking your time when listing things here and on ebay and being clear when making decisions. You may not have intended it, but you have come off in several unrelated threads as being a not so straight person to deal with. I am not saying you are shady but reputation means a lot on these boards. If a problem does come up deal with it as positive as you can and don't be one of those guys that basically says you will sell regardless of what anyone thinks of you.

C'mere you big lug... :luhv:

hqdefault.jpg

All great advice right here :applause:

And 'kid .... I might add to also not be afraid to PM someone and ask questions if you are unsure about a sales procedure.

I don't think there is anyone here that wouldn't be willing to lend a helping hand and assist you if you have a question.

:foryou: