• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Swick,

do you know when he added the "moved to bay" on the thread?

His last post made in his sales thread was on 4/24 and I assume this was added after that date

Just found out what the last few books I submitted got lower than expected

It happens

None were pressed.

selling the few I'm not giving to my GF

Dc Comics Presents #26 9.4 $110 shippedmoved to the bay

Dc Comics Presents #1 8.0 $20 shippedmoved to the bay

Going to sell the Booster gold but not sure what it's going for now

None on ebay to compare it to

Should have the books in hand next week.

Actually I am still around and taking a more active part again. I know the Ocean situation was a bit weird so please correct me if I am wrong.

After saying he thought he'd keep the book the sales thread remained up for several days with a $110 price on the book. Is that correct?

I have missed you, Michael... :foryou:

Yeah, I agree. No way could it go in CG.
+1

Furthermore it would be nice to hear from more of the buyers/sellers on the boards. The decisions here have a huge impact, and sometimes it's a little odd that people who don't buy/sell on the boards are making the decisions for us.

If you are referring to me (yes, I rarely buy/sell and haven't for a long time) I never made decisions. I have offered clarification and explanations of the existing rules when needed to help people understand a situation in light of the PL rules. You may remember there was a period where people were just putting others on the PL without going through the procedures (waiting 30 days, separate PM etc). In a couple of those cases it was revealed the nominator actually was the PL worthy one. So yeah, in those cases I removed them from the PL until the rules were fulfilled. Others have done the same.

I am far from ignorant on buying and selling. I have bought and sold thousands of GA and SA and BA books over the past 30+ years. Also hundreds of 30s - 50s horror/sci-fi movie posters. I do understand selling and buying.

As far as my not buying or selling on the boards, it means I don't have a stake in anything. I don't have favorite buyers/seller and I don't have buyers/sellers I look angrily on (for whatever reason). I am not sure how that is a negative.

Swick,

do you know when he added the "moved to bay" on the thread?

His last post made in his sales thread was on 4/24 and I assume this was added after that date

Just found out what the last few books I submitted got lower than expected

It happens

None were pressed.

selling the few I'm not giving to my GF

Dc Comics Presents #26 9.4 $110 shippedmoved to the bay

Dc Comics Presents #1 8.0 $20 shippedmoved to the bay

Going to sell the Booster gold but not sure what it's going for now

None on ebay to compare it to

Should have the books in hand next week.

No idea. It was edited after jawn took it. Maybe bababooey will do one if those fancy Google caches. hm

Actually I am still around and taking a more active part again. I know the Ocean situation was a bit weird so please correct me if I am wrong.

After saying he thought he'd keep the book the sales thread remained up for several days with a $110 price on the book. Is that correct?

(worship)

Here's the timeline:

04/09/14 - oceanavekid starts a sales thread.

04/20/14 - Only one book left

04/20/14 - Adds books to the thread.

04/22/14 - "If they don't sell in the next few days i'll close this down and list on the bay."

04/24/14 - Adds NEW books to the thread. "Should have the books in hand next week."

--STAGNANT PERIOD--

04/30/14 6:49PM - Open thread: jawn inquires about one book.

oceanavekid: "Probably going to hold onto it until I'm able to take pictures." --> Seems he doesn't have the book in hand yet from CGC. And the thread is STILL open. No indication that he is not going to sell the books. He already indicated he will sell the books pending scans as he doesn't have the books back from CGC.

jawn: attempts to negotiate the price.

oceanavekid: Price isn't negotiable. It might be priced low. Think I'm going to hold onto it. --> Side question: Are the OTHER books still for sale? (shrug)

05/01/14 2:31AM: oceanavekid still awake posting. Thread still open.

05/01/14 4:14AM: jawn takes the book at oceanavekid's asking price.

Thanks Harvey. I do remember this and even though I felt it was a little "under the wire", so to speak, since to me it seemed Ocean didn;t want to sell the book, by keeping the posting open and the price there, ANYONE could have posted a :takeit: in that thread and resulted in a PM nomination if they wanted to.

I DO dislike situations where the PL list tends to force someone to go against what they want to do, but they also need to accept responsibility to adhere to both the Selling Guidelines and the PL/HOS Rules if they are going to buy or sell here.

Yeah, I agree. No way could it go in CG.
+1

Furthermore it would be nice to hear from more of the buyers/sellers on the boards. The decisions here have a huge impact, and sometimes it's a little odd that people who don't buy/sell on the boards are making the decisions for us.

If you are referring to me (yes, I rarely buy/sell and haven't for a long time) I never made decisions. I have offered clarification and explanations of the existing rules when needed to help people understand a situation in light of the PL rules. You may remember there was a period where people were just putting others on the PL without going through the procedures (waiting 30 days, separate PM etc). So yeah, in those cases I removed them from the PL until the rules were fulfilled. Others have done the same.

I am far from ignorant on buying and selling. I have bought and sold thousands of GA and SA and BA books over the past 30+ years. Also hundreds of 30s - 50s horror/sci-fi movie posters. I do understand selling and buying.

As far as my not buying or selling on the boards, it means I don't have a stake in anything. I don't have favorite buyers/seller and I don't have buyers/sellers I look angrily on (for whatever reason). I am not sure how that is a negative.

Pov, I by no means meant you. I've seen your work and it's fair and impartial. That's how these should be approached. Without the noise of "I like this person" or "I don't like this person".

While some like to quote "cool books", I personally think it's more "cool people"

As far as wanting more sellers to participate, I think it's important that the people who do the majority of the sales voice their concerns or bring their viewpoint especially when "rules" start coming up. I think it would also help when nominations like this (a seller refusing to honor a "sale") that they help advise and instruct the do's and don'ts. While "cool books" rule, customer service seems to be the best selling point for many, and I think many of these issues can be handled without the Comics General drama.

Glad your back

(worship)

Here's the timeline:

04/09/14 - oceanavekid starts a sales thread.

04/20/14 - Only one book left

04/20/14 - Adds books to the thread.

04/22/14 - "If they don't sell in the next few days i'll close this down and list on the bay."

04/24/14 - Adds NEW books to the thread. "Should have the books in hand next week."

--STAGNANT PERIOD--

04/30/14 6:49PM - Open thread: jawn inquires about one book.

oceanavekid: "Probably going to hold onto it until I'm able to take pictures." --> Seems he doesn't have the book in hand yet from CGC. And the thread is STILL open. No indication that he is not going to sell the books. He already indicated he will sell the books pending scans as he doesn't have the books back from CGC.

jawn: attempts to negotiate the price.

oceanavekid: Price isn't negotiable. It might be priced low. Think I'm going to hold onto it. --> Side question: Are the OTHER books still for sale? (shrug)

05/01/14 2:31AM: oceanavekid still awake posting. Thread still open.

05/01/14 4:14AM: jawn takes the book at oceanavekid's asking price.

Thanks Harvey. I do remember this and even though I felt it was a little "under the wire", so to speak, since to me it seemed Ocean didn;t want to sell the book, by keeping the posting open and the price there, ANYONE could have posted a :takeit: in that thread and resulted in a PM nomination if they wanted to.

I DO dislike situations where the PL list tends to force someone to go against what they want to do, but they also need to accept responsibility to adhere to both the Selling Guidelines and the PL/HOS Rules if they are going to buy or sell here.

^^

I have missed you, Michael... :foryou:

:cry::foryou:

You should read the original discussion. You aren't making any sense.

1) Thread was inactive for 8 days.

2) Buyer inquired about book, and was told TWICE that it was being kept.

3) Buyer got angry and put BIN in thread, even after being told the books were not available.

4) Book was listed on eBay.

5) Ocean pizzed and moaned when nominated for PL.

It was actually 6 days 5 1/2 hours dormant. 8:44 PM CST on April 24...to 3:14 AM CST on May 1.

Not that it makes much difference but if you are recapping we should probably correct that part.

Also, it should be noted that if we are placing weight on the seller's claim that it wasn't for sale because he was "holding on to it" then weight should be placed on the seller then posting it for sale on Ebay the same day Jawn said he'd take in the thread.

Basically, it was for sale and him saying he was "holding on to it" was inaccurate (to be kind). That statement turned out to be untrue.

If that statement was inaccurate by the seller, it places every statement before and after that he's made regarding this incident into question.

Chris you are a pretty reasonable person, what do you think about this nomination?

Should Ocean have been added to the PL because he refused to honor a sale in a thread that had been inactive for 6 days?

Frankly, I have to go back and reread the posts from when it happened to make sure I didn't miss anything.

My impression is the seller was less than forthright and transparent with his assertions and intentions to keep/hold onto the book. To be honest, that may color my opinions.

His actions is discussing a potential purchase with Jawn just before Jawn posted the :takeit: (the same evening) may point to the thread still being open but I have to check the timeline and posts again for myself. His discussion of the book and discussing price with Jawn just a few hours before Jawn took it in the thread seem to books still being for sale and thus the thread still being open.

Those PMs just before Jawn takes the book in the thread eliminate the 6 1/2 day time lapse for me. Ocean could have said "Oh that thread's dead, not for sale" but he didn't, he hemmed and hawed and said he was going to post scans, and then openly seemed to be negotiating. His claim of "I may hold onto it" must be read as a negotiating ploy given his almost immediate listing of the book on Ebay. There aren't too many other complimentary ways to read what he said and then what he immediately did in contradiction of what was said.

Without that PM discussion just before the :takeit: in the thread I would not have an issue with absolving Ocean. It's the ploys and comments and statements (and contradictions) that seemed to demonstrate the thread was still filled with books he was trying to move and willing to discuss moving. If he wasn't he should have simply said "Not For Sale".

It's a gray area but his subsequent actions and contradictions make me less inclined to come down on his side when he could have handled this so much better and with so much more forthrightness.

But if he was going to keep the book, why would he list it on eBay?
Hold not keep.

No one is arguing that the seller wanted the book for anything but resale at a higher price.

I think "hold onto it for a while" indicates something longer than 12-14 hours. lol

:o

I don't think his intentions are unclear, specifically when declining the $100 offer - he's not using "hold onto it" in a collector sense - he's a flipper/dealer (shrug)

23wso3o.jpg

Lots of dealers are able to be honest and forthright. They have no problem saying "That thread's over, it's not for sale at that price, I may Ebay it though....thanks for your interest."

No muss or fuss or wildly_fanciful_statement. lol

3) Buyer got angry and put BIN in thread, even after being told the books were not available.

It was actually 6 days 5 1/2 hours dormant. 8:44 PM CST on April 24...to 3:14 AM CST on May 1.

Not that it makes much difference but if you are recapping we should probably correct that part.

Also, it should be noted that if we are placing weight on the seller's claim that it wasn't for sale because he was "holding on to it" then weight should be placed on the seller then posting it for sale on Ebay the same day Jawn said he'd take in the thread.

Basically, it was for sale and him saying he was "holding on to it" was inaccurate (to be kind). That statement turned out to be untrue.

If that statement was inaccurate by the seller, it places every statement before and after that he's made regarding this incident into question.

Chris you are a pretty reasonable person, what do you think about this nomination?

Should Ocean have been added to the PL because he refused to honor a sale in a thread that had been inactive for 6 days?

Frankly, I have to go back and reread the posts from when it happened to make sure I didn't miss anything.

My impression is the seller was less than forthright and transparent with his assertions and intentions to keep/hold onto the book. To be honest, that may color my opinions.

His actions is discussing a potential purchase with Jawn just before Jawn posted the :takeit: (the same evening) may point to the thread still being open but I have to check the timeline and posts again for myself. His discussion of the book and discussing price with Jawn just a few hours before Jawn took it in the thread seem to books still being for sale and thus the thread still being open.

Those PMs just before Jawn takes the book in the thread eliminate the 6 1/2 day time lapse for me. Ocean could have said "Oh that thread's dead, not for sale" but he didn't, he hemmed and hawed and said he was going to post scans, and then openly seemed to be negotiating. His claim of "I may hold onto it" must be read as a negotiating ploy given his almost immediate listing of the book on Ebay. There aren't too many other complimentary ways to read what he said and then what he immediately did in contradiction of what was said.

Without that PM discussion just before the :takeit: in the thread I would not have an issue with absolving Ocean. It's the ploys and comments and statements (and contradictions) that seemed to demonstrate the thread was still filled with books he was trying to move and willing to discuss moving. If he wasn't he should have simply said "Not For Sale".

It's a gray area but his subsequent actions and contradictions make me less inclined to come down on his side when he could have handled this so much better and with so much more forthrightness.

Whether underhanded, or shady, or being used as a sales tactic, he wrote in two PM's that he was keeping the book after which the buyer posts a :takeit: as if they had a discussion and agreed on terms or price.

The seller shouldn't be obligated to sell simply because the buyer had blinders on and ignored the seller's comments about keeping the book. If you want to argue that not writing closed in a sales thread or relisting a book on Ebay is bad form I'm all for that, but PL worthy? Seems like a stretch.

Whether underhanded, or shady, or being used as a sales tactic, he wrote in two PM's that he was keeping the book after which the buyer posts a :takeit: as if they had a discussion and agreed on terms or price.

The seller shouldn't be obligated to sell simply because the buyer had blinders on and ignored the seller's comments about keeping the book. If you want to argue that not writing closed in a sales thread or relisting a book on Ebay is bad form I'm all for that, but PL worthy? Seems like a stretch.

It does seem stretchy, I agree. The point was, he was willing to negotiate the same day that the person posted the take it in the thread. The 6 days get eliminated as the seller was willing to entertain buyers up to that point.

While I can see your point of view, in looking at the posted PM's the seller was not very clear if the thread was dead (books being held) and was clearly willing to sell for the right price. He said exactly "probably just going to hold onto it until I take pics" after which he negotiated and entertained Jawn's offer and then said, exactly, "Think I am just going to hold onto it" while rejecting that offer.

The immediate Ebay listing tells me that the comments about keeping it were, in fact, simply for negotiation which tells me the the books in the thread were actually still for sale at the time he was speaking to Jawn.

The fact that he immediately (same day) put them up on Ebay is where the bad form and destruction of credibility come from. Makes it hard to side with him with all these words and actions going against him.

There were several ways to end that conversation with Jawn and that thread so that this could not have happened. The tip toe soft shoe B.S. routine led to some honest confusion. The seller isn't 100% blameless.

That's where the gray area comes in, but I get what you're saying. Somewhere along the line "bad form" and lying in a PM have to have consequences...hard to say if this was the right place for it.

It does seem stretchy, I agree. The point was, he was willing to negotiate the same day that the person posted the take it in the thread. The 6 days get eliminated as the seller was willing to entertain buyers up to that point.

While I can see your point of view, in looking at the posted PM's the seller was not very clear if the thread was dead (books being held) and was clearly willing to sell for the right price. He said exactly "probably just going to hold onto it until I take pics" after which he negotiated and entertained Jawn's offer and then said, exactly, "Think I am just going to hold onto it" while rejecting that offer.

The immediate Ebay listing tells me that the comments about keeping it were, in fact, simply for negotiation which tells me the the books in the thread were actually still for sale at the time he was speaking to Jawn.

The fact that he immediately (same day) put them up on Ebay is where the bad form and destruction of credibility come from. Makes it hard to side with him with all these words and actions going against him.

There were several ways to end that conversation with Jawn and that thread so that this could not have happened. The tip toe soft shoe B.S. routine led to some honest confusion. The seller isn't 100% blameless.

That's where the gray area comes in, but I get what you're saying. Somewhere along the line "bad form" and lying in a PM have to have consequences...hard to say if this was the right place for it.

It's now my Birthday, just let me win. :sumo:

Wow, this seems like a grey area, and hence he probably shouldn't have been put on the PL but just warned to properly close his threads in the future.

Sort of like in the NFL - Off setting flags; Reply the down. :P

"negotiations, I guess" and "honest confusion - is the thread still open?"

meh - linked post in spoilers below

Because the seller doesn't say that. I "think" and "probably". This is common in any board negotiation I've had.

The outcome doesn't indicate he was pushing for an "extra $10"

(shrug)

That's true, but how am I supposed to guess that? We did a little back and forth. He said he might hold onto it to take pictures, but an hour later the thread is still open so I make a solid offer. Thread still open, he thinks it might be too low, thinks he is going to hold onto it. Hours later thread still open I reply in PM and on the public thread that I will take it for the full price he was asking. If he wanted to keep it why keep the thread open? Maybe it was an oversight I don't know and really don't care at this point. He's not selling me the book. I need to work on some trades, and be happy with the one thing that worked out this week my freshly opened Doom Patrol #99.

If he wanted to keep it why keep the thread open?

The better question is why would the buyer keep checking to see if the thread was closed & why he felt that might occur. The ebay listing was spotted within hours too.

(shrug)

Man, how many pages of discussion has been devoted to this now? 30? I've had buyers flake out on me and sellers take FOREVER to ship out a purchased item, and I've not bothered nominating these people to the PL. It's exhausting.