• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

So what are you going to do with that 191 smackers!?

Wish that was mine. This book hasn't been at what I would consider a reasonable price for a while.

Whatever you do don't reinvest it in a hoard of Swamp Thing 25s.

They can still be found for $5, so I don't see why you wouldn't.

buy copies of Star Wars 42

Why?

So don't buy Swamp #25 or Star #42? OK, more copies for me.

Edited by ygogolak

Why?

First comic book appearance of Boba Fett, and far more importantly, his First Cover Appearance.

Superman Adventures 20 first appearance of Volcana - another sleeper coming to 52. Costume has Cosplay written all over it.

Didn't Volcana first appear in Secret Wars?

Marvel and DC both have a Volcana.

Superman Adventures 20 first appearance of Volcana - another sleeper coming to 52. Costume has Cosplay written all over it.

Please tell me what page she appears on.

All Turtles are heating up . . . linky-dink :grin:

Looks like one book. (shrug)

Yes, but it's a raw #3 1st Print selling for about GPA. :grin: It's an indicator that Turtles are definitely heating up, as pre-movie demand (and ambient fan-base) widens. :sumo:

Why?

First comic book appearance of Boba Fett, and far more importantly, his First Cover Appearance.

Yeah, not many copies falling through the cracks these days . . .

Why?

they don't need to fall through the cracks to be good buys. When its announced one of the standalone movies is Boba Fett that book will see a huge gain

Why?

they don't need to fall through the cracks to be good buys. When its announced one of the standalone movies is Boba Fett that book will see a huge gain

The inside leaks about one of the standalone movies being Boba Fett has already led to a run-up in the price for Star War 42. If people are waiting for an official announcement, they will have already missed the party. I'm not sure how much further this issue has to climb.

The inside leaks about one of the standalone movies being Boba Fett has already led to a run-up in the price for Star War 42. If people are waiting for an official announcement, they will have already missed the party. I'm not sure how much further this issue has to climb.

It might already be too late:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/11/star-wars-spinoff-filmed-in-uk/

I found a NM for under $10 a few months back. Still plenty out there.

Nice looking copy hm . . . too expensive for anyone here to buy. lol

It looks like the same seller sold one yesterday for $157 too. Actually, looks like the same picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swamp-Thing-37-Alan-Moore-1st-John-Constantine-High-Grade-Near-Mint-UNREAD-copy-/171354139042?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27e580a9a2&nma=true&si=Cqgx08tAqk4vfXixDaM%252BZCNJgOE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

hm

It might already be too late:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/11/star-wars-spinoff-filmed-in-uk/

I found a NM for under $10 a few months back. Still plenty out there.

You are correct, it is not a rare comic in high grade. We are talking about an issue of one of Marvel's better selling titles from the 80s. I can only guess the ESB movie issues #39-44 sold even better than the surrounding issues. I'm still amazed people are paying $10 for a raw NM copy, let alone the $20, $30, and even $40 I've seen this issue fetch. This was a $2 raw NM comic just a few short years ago. Star Wars #1 was a $10 - 15 comic in raw NM condition. I know how all those collectors feel who have stacks of the latest hot comics. :cloud9: It's cool to see interest being paid to a title I've been collecting all these years.

What is harder to get in high grade is the ESB paperback with the early Yoda depiction. Lots of mid to low grade copies on eBay, very few high grade copies. Being the first print for this ESB movie material, I feel it is the sleeper printing to have. (shrug) I would have said the Marvel Treasury for ESB a few years ago, but cases of that treasury have popped up and it is not hard to find in high grade any more.

It's also cool that the Marvel Star Wars title is talked about in both the Bronze Age and Copper Age forums. :gossip:

Edited by rjrjr

I disagree. Look at what is happening with X-Factor 6.

SW 42 is going to go up...a lot.

I disagree. Look at what is happening with X-Factor 6.

SW 42 is going to go up...a lot.

I hope you are right. :) But here is why I think the comparison is apples to oranges:

1) X-Factor 6 has the first appearance of a comic character - Star Wars 42 has the first appearance of a movie character in a comic

2) X-Factor 6 is a superhero comic - Star Wars 42 is not

3) X-Factor 6 is part of a family of comics (X-Men) that have a book or two consistently near the top of the 300 comics - Star Wars is part of a family of comics (Star Wars) that typically sell in the middle of the top 300 comics

Do you feel Star Wars #42 is going to go higher than Star Wars #1? I don't think it will, so that too me defines its upper price. Star Wars #1 contains the first comic book appearances of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia, at least two of which are going to be in upcoming movies. If the leaks are true, Darth Vader will be used to promote the new movies next year in 2 TV specials. Star Wars #2 has the first appearances of Han Solo and Chewbacca. Han Solo is also the subject of one of the upcoming Star Wars spinoff movies. One thing all 3 comics (Star Wars #1, #2, and #42) have in common is none of them are rare in high grade.

Is there a precedence for a movie character's first appearance in a comic book to be priced at the same value as comic character peers? Even Star Trek #1 (Gold Key) is not at the same value as it's superhero peers.

Again, I hope you are right as I have boxes of Marvel Star Wars comics I've been collecting over the years. It would be nice to think I can convert some of those comics to actual money when I decide to give up collecting. But, history has shown the superhero characters get all the collectors attention and money. Look at 300, Watchmen, and a dozen other movies made from comic books which don't feature superheroes. The only thing I see that Star Wars has over these other properties is it's longevity. But then again, Star Trek has been around even longer and while the first issue is worth quite a bit, it is pittance next to superhero titles from the same era.

This was a $2 raw NM comic just a few short years ago.

I love it when people make statements like this . . . lol

Why? It's true. You could buy Star Wars #39 - 44 on eBay for many, many years for $15 or less. Many of the copies of Star Wars #42 I have came from lots that I purchase for $10 or so.

Edited by rjrjr