• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

One of my favorite books when I was twelve was a used copy of "Flying Saucers, Serious Business!" which despite the title was actually a pretty good account of UFO sightings going back to the 1800's. I still have the book and pull it out on occasion.

While I have friends who swear they have encountered UFO's I've never seen anything close. I do think we will shortly discover that life abounds in the universe in one form or another starting with our closest planets.

I live next to Cal Tech and on occasion will go over for a lecture. One of the most fascinating was a graphic representation of the scale of our universe starting with our little home planet. As you posted earlier we are in a bit of a backwater in our own galaxy. Probably luckily so as many scientists surmise that any "contact" will be with a superior alien life form and won't go so well for us; I hope not to see that.

Each decade brings us closer to the day we realize and accept we are not alone in the universe. I will be rather intrigued with how our world's religions will adapt to this knowledge. The infinite number of planets preclude that we are the only planet on which life has developed.

Just as it was when I was twelve and watching the moon landings and dreaming of things yet to be; I read with great interest of the work of the world's physicists and astro-physicists. Their work is to me a great inspiration and fascination. We live in exciting days and I think we are on the verge of great discovery.

One of my favorite books when I was twelve was a used copy of "Flying Saucers, Serious Business!" which despite the title was actually a pretty good account of UFO sightings going back to the 1800's. I still have the book and pull it out on occasion.

While I have friends who swear they have encountered UFO's I've never seen anything close. I do think we will shortly discover that life abounds in the universe in one form or another starting with our closest planets.

I live next to Cal Tech and on occasion will go over for a lecture. One of the most fascinating was a graphic representation of the scale of our universe starting with our little home planet. As you posted earlier we are in a bit of a backwater in our own galaxy. Probably luckily so as many scientists surmise that any "contact" will be with a superior alien life form and won't go so well for us; I hope not to see that.

Each decade brings us closer to the day we realize and accept we are not alone in the universe. I will be rather intrigued with how our world's religions will adapt to this knowledge. The infinite number of planets preclude that we are the only planet on which life has developed.

Just as it was when I was twelve and watching the moon landings and dreaming of things yet to be; I read with great interest of the work of the world's physicists and astro-physicists. Their work is to me a great inspiration and fascination. We live in exciting days and I think we are on the verge of great discovery.

I too have wondered a lot of how religion will atempt to adapt to another sentient life form being discovered. Not only would there be "competing" religions of mankind, but of any religions of the other species as well! Or would it cause all but the most devout to doubt? Maybe it would cause the opposite effect and result in those claiming it was divine proof of a God (probably their own of course). It is such an interesting idea.

How would society adapt? Would it go into chaos or merely accept it into the mundanity of day to day life? These are the fun questions that keep me awake at night.