• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of GA dealers online...
14 14

531 posts in this topic

About Tomorrow's Treasures...as a customer of Richard's for over 20 years I can recommend him to anyone :headbang:

Inquired on one of his books. The guy is a totally off the deep end :screwy:

Well he has been known to be a tad irascible, but I've never had a problem with him. He does sometimes suddenly mark up books if he notices a high auction result. Is that what happened?

Asked him if the book we were discussing could be CGC'd prior to deal closure.

He flipped.

To him CGC is like a red flag to a bull!

I found him willing to negotiate on price, which is more than I can say for many of the consignors on CConnect & CLink, but his grading was much looser than mine on the one book I purchased. Basically, his 9.0 was my 7.0. (It was an inexpensive book, so I just kept it.)

One area where he doesn't conform to current CGC grading is stains. We all know that CGC--particularly in recent years--hammers stains. He holds to the older view that takes a more lenient view of stains.

+1 my one issue was stain related...but in his defense it is not easy to accurately judge the impact of a stain.

In his case, he's not trying to judge the impact with CGC. He considers CGC grading completely invalid. If you want to buy from him, you'll have to learn his grading and make an offer accordingly.

I understand his position with respect to CGC, but when he says something is a 7.0 there is a perception he is representing that would be the grade, regardless of whether it was CGC, another collector or another dealer doing an impartial review.

I don't think he'd see it that way. I think he'd say that anybody who doesn't like his grading can go buy their books somewhere else. To him, his opinion is the only one that matters. That's my impression, anyhow.

Tomorrow's Treasures has a deep inventory in golden and silver age books, and not a single CGC-certified one that I have seen (and I have flipped through every single listing on the site on more than one occasion).

That's not necessarily a problem, except that in this day and age it's not possible to have a raw inventory like that without many of them having been removed from CGC holders. So, is Richie removing them from holders and then "regrading" based on his own "grading system"?

If this is indeed a practice of his (even if his grades are sometimes the same as CGC's grades), then previous CGC grades are being withheld from the buyer, which I think is not right, not for a pro dealer.

My questions around the above (these are not accusations, just questions) are the main reason I have not done more business there.

That's not necessarily a problem, except that in this day and age it's not possible to have a raw inventory like that without many of them having been removed from CGC holders. So, is Richie removing them from holders and then "regrading" based on his own "grading system"?

If this is indeed a practice of his (even if his grades are sometimes the same as CGC's grades), then previous CGC grades are being withheld from the buyer, which I think is not right, not for a pro dealer.

My questions around the above (these are not accusations, just questions) are the main reason I have not done more business there.

He says right on his eBay listings "The ONLY "slabbed" books I have sold or will sell [a few a year], are JOINTLY owned. ALL of the "slabbed’ books that I have purchased, are "LIBERATED" from the slab as soon as I buy them."

As far as cracking out books and selling them raw (and re-graded) goes, I think that's a common practice. Metro and Worldwide both do it.

I bought one book from TT that was raw and I later found out had previously been slabbed. The CGC grade and the grade TT had it listed as were the same.

Not a big data sample obviously, but I felt it was worth noting.

I don't think he'd see it that way. I think he'd say that anybody who doesn't like his grading can go buy their books somewhere else. To him, his opinion is the only one that matters. That's my impression, anyhow.

I experienced this yesterday ! He's THE grading expert and everything else is beneath him.

Anyway, he can take his GA inventory and stick it. Thankfully, there are other dealers out there with just as nice inventory to choose from besides this joker.

:roflmao: Obviously, some of you people are either too picky or don't pick up the phone and call Ritchie first. A friend of mine did that last month (right in the middle of Mercury Retrograde (shudder) google it if you don't know what it does to deals and contracts). He had a bad experience because he did not call TT first and ask for a review of the books and a lower price. Ritchie is very accomodating, but also very opinionated and has little tolerance for demanding customers.

Now, I on the other hand, have never gotten a rotten book or deal from him, because as he says, I do it right and beat him up over the phone before I buy...I assure you, I know exactly what I'm getting before our hour long conversation is over...(he likes to talk) :popcorn::juggle:

Peter, sorry your first experience wasn't good. He's like an acquired taste...but once you get used to it he's fun to deal with.

Edited by tricolorbrian

:roflmao: Obviously, some of you people are either too picky or don't pick up the phone and call Ritchie first. A friend of mine did that last month (right in the middle of Mercury Retrograde (shudder) google it if you don't know what it does to deals and contracts). He had a bad experience because he did not call TT first and ask for a review of the books and a lower price. Ritchie is very accomodating, but also very opinionated and has little tolerance for demanding customers.

Now, I on the other hand, have never gotten a rotten book or deal from him, because as he says, I do it right and beat him up over the phone before I buy...I assure you, I know exactly what I'm getting before our hour long conversation is over...(he likes to talk) :popcorn::juggle:

Peter, sorry your first experience wasn't good. He's like an acquired taste...but once you get used to it he's fun to deal with.

Guy is as big of an @$$! In person as he is to buyers on ebay. If Im paying good money for a book I shouldn't have to acquire anything (perhaps flees if you stand next to his crappy display at any local show here in ny).

Speaking of wonderful dealer. Anyone know anything about ebay sell "saphireworldbooks"? Was tracking this book that got resisted immediately and they seem to have a track record for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Mystery-Comics-17-CGC-5-0-/181344736838?nma=true&si=ZQegtgFj6NQNmRG93gCd37oWuyc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Guy is as big of an @$$! In person as he is to buyers on ebay. If Im paying good money for a book I shouldn't have to acquire anything (perhaps flees if you stand next to his crappy display at any local show here in ny).

Speaking of wonderful dealer. Anyone know anything about ebay sell "saphireworldbooks"? Was tracking this book that got resisted immediately and they seem to have a track record for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Mystery-Comics-17-CGC-5-0-/181344736838?nma=true&si=ZQegtgFj6NQNmRG93gCd37oWuyc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Fb looks pretty shaky as well.

Has the same MMC 17 for sale again or am I misreading this?

Has the same MMC 17 for sale again or am I misreading this?

It was just relisted. The winning bidder had 5 bids within past few months, with 100 percent going to same seller. If you look at the guys feedback he has relisted (or received negative feedback for not selling to winning bidders) multiple times in the past few months. Implication is it looks fishy but was wondering if anyone would vouch for seller?

Is Harley still selling? I haven't seen ebay action in awhile, and I think the website I just looked at as really old...

Yep he's still selling. Seems like just through cons and mail order as of late. His website has been out of date for awhile and material hasn't been on his eBay store in awhile either.

My impression is that he was running into problems doing both eBay and cons, particularly with respect to selling books at cons and then having problems when people hit the BINs on those books on eBay before he could take them down.

Could anyone help me with a query please?

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a Detective Comics # 55 CGC with White pages in a 4.0 grade?

Thanks.

That's going to about $300 with maybe a slight bump for the white pages. if you are going to be looking for info on more books I strongly recommend a GPA membership.