• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite model kits based on comic book characters
2 2

129 posts in this topic

For me, I had given up on model building many years ago. I used to have at least ten WW II dioramas I had created. But with all the moving around in the military, you learn to keep the household light. So these ended up being given away as gifts.

I had always liked the Batmobile 1966 design, and told my wife this from time to time. So when she was at Hobby Lobby during Christmas and happened across the Polar Lights 'The Batmobile' kit, a surprise gift made its way home.

:whee:

th_Batmobile001a_zps10fd773c.jpg

Although a snap-together 1:25 scale model, this is very well designed and detailed. And though you really don't need paint or glue, if you want this to look nice you'll want to pick up at least an automobile paint set. Even the tire rims come with the metal Bat-spinners, which you have to be extremely careful snapping into place.

th_Batmobile001_zps1b1fe167.jpg

The body of the vehicle is pre-painted in high-gloss black, with the detail stripes as well. And the kit comes with many decals that you must apply yourself. That includes some of the smallest decals I have ever worked with to represent light indicators on the dashboard. Even the inner part of the steering wheel comes with a speedometer you have to insert by yourself. And I found out by referencing the original car photos the speakers on the back panel had carpeting up top. So I used a thick brush and tapping this across the panel to give it a bumpy 'carpet' look.

th_Batmobile004_zpsb932fcaf.jpg th_Batmobile003_zpsbb6cd1ba.jpg th_Batmobile005_zps4aa53663.jpg

For the turn lights on top of the car, these are completely black. So I used a Flat Red base to give them color. Then I used a Stop Light Red to give them a reflective look. And right below them, yet another set of decals to represent the 'BAT TURN SIGNAL' label on the original car.

th_Batmobile007_zpse3d3561b.jpg th_Batmobile006_zps94a2084f.jpg

The back of the car comes with the two speed parachutes alongside the tailpipe, which in the show were black leather but later changed to a red canvas. I went with the red canvas look to make them stand out. And this kit comes with three of the four license plates used on the 1966 Batmobile. I went with the original license plate design. And referencing photos from the original Batmobile, I found out the rear antenna had a yellow plastic casing over the top of the silver metal.

th_Batmobile024_zpsf7ffdaf8.jpg

For the front light covers and fog lights these are completely clear plastic. So for the fog lights, I used Amber Turn Signal and lightly brushed it across the clear plastic to give it the right color.

th_Batmobile019_zpscb56334c.jpg

I'll be inserting this into a crystal display case, which Hobby Lobby sells for $10. Though I found out they offer 40% off coupons daily for one item per purchase.

So, ever go out and purchase a model kit just because it contained a version of a favorite comic book character? How did it turn out?

I was a model freak when I was a kid. One of my favorite superhero kits was the Aurora Spider-Man.

Thought I don't still have the model, I do still have the comic that came with it. :cloud9:

Now here is the ultimate in comic book model design. This father-son team decided to build the entire Batcave.

200406.jpg

43_12_sb.jpg

Even custome-making the computers and file cabinets throughout the cave.

gear01.jpg

08b9_1.jpg

(worship)

Now here is the ultimate in comic book model design. This father-son team decided to build the entire Batcave.

200406.jpg

43_12_sb.jpg

gear01.jpg

08b9_1.jpg

(worship)

That's sweet. The computers are amazing.

Back in the 60's and early 70's I used to build a lot of Aurora Monster kits, Hot Rod stuff like Paddy Wagon and Beatnik and also the Weird Oh kits. Wonderful times.... and we used real plastic cement in a tube back then too. That goop had quite a smell

I used to LOVE model kit building. Aurora, vinyl and resin figure kits, smashing kits into something else, all of it. :cloud9:

Smashed a cheap Captain America kit into an Action Comics Superman once upon a time...

SMkitcustom.jpg

Why "used to?" :) you can still love it - models are cool. The relatively new polar lights batmobile is very true to the original, state of the art model. It comes both as a snapper, and a highly detailed glue kit as well.

:( They don't travel well.

AuroraKits2.jpg

lol True, but mainly the Maquette and Statue industry took off in a huge way. ;)

Batmobile001a_zps10fd773c.jpg

WOW. All your efforts produced a real show-stopper. Spectacular. :applause::applause:

:blush:

Thanks. I was really pleased with how the specialty paint brought out the lights where those started out as an experiment.

Now to track down the Batcycle.

200406.jpg

43_12_sb.jpg

gear01.jpg

08b9_1.jpg

(worship)

That is pretty awesome, I didnt have any models as a kid, I did crave them though. I am going to look into these as that is just fantastic (worship)

Want

Me and my grandkid worked on these. I also am in progress of doing the Invisible man these are hand painted even the lines on spideys suit are painted in.

20140525_120213_zpsf334602c.jpg

20140525_120149_zps897cc579.jpg

20140525_120204_zpsd101a3ec.jpg

Edited by roundguy

Most of the kits can be found through Moebius they bought out aurora models most kits can be found online. Im searching for a Lone ranger Tonto kit right now one of my favorite. Bosco that Batmobile is amazing i have looked at that kit a couple times after seeing yours think i may have to pick one up.

Wow!

There are some fantatic models being posted here. I love the Spider-Man/Hobgoblin kits since they match up so well.

And the Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Spider-Man/Kraven kits are really neat.

:applause:

I've never been good at painting model cars, or anything else. So I've built a few models but very few came out nice. Maybe one I was proud of. Many more sat unfinished after I destroyed the paint job. I like looking at them though

This is a GREAT thread!!! Really makes my heart swell to hear the Father /Son,Grandfolk stories! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

My Papa and I built models together,mostly classic cars and Navy stuff(grandad was a Sailor) but we also really enjoyed employing my air rifle on them together as well.Would post a sad face,but,MAN O MAN did they bust up and explode good,we may have had an even better time playing target practice!I miss my papa every day,and this thread brought back a lot of fond memories I had not recalled in some time,THANK YOU! And it makes me glad we did not decide to shoot our comics we collected together,even though some WERE Silly Puttyied lol:facepalm:

Hope to see more stories and models gang.. :signofftopic: but anyone have any Big Daddy Rat Fink stuff?

Build on,rock on,read comics and be nice!

<3 Jimmers

I've never been good at painting model cars, or anything else. So I've built a few models but very few came out nice. Maybe one I was proud of. Many more sat unfinished after I destroyed the paint job. I like looking at them though

+1

I've always loved these figure kits but just don't have the painting skills to pull it off.

It inevitably becomes an exercise in frustration.

With the right brushes and paints the major part of the painting does become alot easier. I use water base paints they are a little more cost but the end result is better IMO as far as brushes i used to think they are all the same till a friend of mine gave me one of his real sable brushes. For fun i also paint Warhammer figures.

Why "used to?" :) you can still love it - models are cool. The relatively new polar lights batmobile is very true to the original, state of the art model. It comes both as a snapper, and a highly detailed glue kit as well.

:( They don't travel well.

AuroraKits2.jpg

lol True, but mainly the Maquette and Statue industry took off in a huge way. ;)

No denying that, statues can be beautiful, and each allows instant gratification vs. a model you'd need to paint and assemble. Still, for me the models are preferable since there's nothing like bringing your own vision to life.

No need to choose, both are cool/fun. :)