• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

The list is already losing its integrity. Some of us are simply trying to stop the erosion. At the end of the day it seems the need for vengeance is winning out. I would guess it is noob voting but with the anonymous system who knows.

Yup. The call of "add him to the HOS list" seems quite strong these days. Maybe too strong.

I agree, I think we are losing the original point of the HOS list. It was for serious actions, most of which constituted acts which were akin to stealing.

AlleyBat attempted to steal $5k in a Batman 1 scam

Comic Supply took money for numerous orders and never sent the items

Heral2galactus had multiple transactions where he received items/money and never reciprocated.

Black and white bad apples, no doubt.

What seems to be happening lately is a few people with no morals, no common sense and no idea of how to join in and be part of something are getting some of the normal members so annoyed, that the PITA people are being put on the HOS list.

That was not the intent.

We need a stand in the corner until you grow up list.

Meanwhile, we had some discussions about having polls in CG, where they would be blind polls so that more people could take part and not be influenced by others. I still think that's a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to really appreciate the new people who have donated time here, they are caring and great members, but HOS needs to be for really egregious actions, repetitive or horrid+ actions...not just a dumb PITA person who acts like (or is) a teenager).

Lying about your father dying...well, that's just plain juvenile and sad. It is not however, HOS material. I won't buy from that person because of his actions, but he belongs in the "cooler" not death row.

Skypinkblu,

Yes I agree it was juvenile. I have tried to make amends and no one accepted it.

Being on HOS List and never stealing money or shilling bids has diluted its original intention.

My induction is like marijuana smokers on death row with real murderers...

The list is already losing its integrity. Some of us are simply trying to stop the erosion. At the end of the day it seems the need for vengeance is winning out. I would guess it is noob voting but with the anonymous system who knows.

Yup. The call of "add him to the HOS list" seems quite strong these days. Maybe too strong.

I agree, I think we are losing the original point of the HOS list. It was for serious actions, most of which constituted acts which were akin to stealing.

Heral2galactus had multiple transactions where he received items/money and never reciprocated.

What seems to be happening lately is a few people with no morals, no common sense and no idea of how to join in and be part of something are getting some of the normal members so annoyed, that the PITA people are being put on the HOS list.

That was not the intent.

Meanwhile, we had some discussions about having polls in CG, where they would be blind polls so that more people could take part and not be influenced by others. I still think that's a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to really appreciate the new people who have donated time here, they are caring and great members, but HOS needs to be for really egregious actions, repetitive or horrid+ actions...not just a dumb PITA person who acts like (or is) a teenager).

Lying about your father dying...well, that's just plain juvenile and sad. It is not however, HOS material. I won't buy from that person because of his actions, but he belongs in the "cooler" not death row.

Skypinkblu,

Yes I agree it was juvenile. I have tried to make amends and no one accepted it.

Being on HOS List and never stealing money or shilling bids has diluted its original intention.

timeout

let's not forget some of the other "details"

all of this started because you had a book for sale, where the buyer not only took it once, but twice and on both occasions you didn't complete the sale because I believe you attempted at first to increase the price you had

furthermore, when this information was brought up on the probation discussion thread your attitude was "screw you" and you dare the board to put you on the HOS.

Since then all you've done is continually thumb your nose at the group.

Yeah, it was more than just a joke about your father, which was also an excuse for a delayed shipment.

I wish to nominate oceanavekid to the probation thread/list I don't know who has access to PM messages but I have no problem copying or opening them up for full disclosure. My take on this is he was pushing for the extra $10 on the book, after my offer of $100. I thought that was fair based on his asking price. After looking at some past sales and some other threads I fell asleep. When I woke up I was like f it what's $10 this is something on my list of wants and if it's not a newsstand copy it's still a pretty good deal. I did edit my I'll take it post after the fact to include the shipping included part. If a seller doesn't want to sell something virtually or real world they can say it's not for sale any longer. Not I think this or may that.

You should close the thread then, or at least take down the post for that one book.

According to the rules, jawn bought this book at the price advertised. Are you going back on the offer?

:popcorn:

-slym

You're 100% right I should have taken the book down right when I told him I wanted to keep it, thats my bad

If I get a strike i'd completely understand

Heres what I told him

2u8xmrk.jpg

14sh9bk.jpg

nxvw2s.jpg

23wso3o.jpg

Told him twice I was just going to hold on to it, so it shouldn't be a big surprise

Right after I said I was going to hold on to it he said he'd take it

I should have said not for sale and closed the thread

That was not the intent.

Skypinkblu,

timeout

all of this started because you had a book for sale, where the buyer not only took it once, but twice and on both occasions you didn't complete the sale because I believe you attempted at first to increase the price you had

furthermore, when this information was brought up on the probation discussion thread your attitude was "screw you" and you dare the board to put you on the HOS.

Yeah, it was more than just a joke about your father, which was also an excuse for a delayed shipment.

:blahblah: I dare you to put me on the HOS! :blahblah: I'm on the HOS. :blahblah: Try and stop me from buying or selling. :blahblah: I still sell and buy so I think your HOS list is dumb...and you guys too. :blahblah:

Tried to make amends... :eyeroll:

I wish to nominate oceanavekid to the probation thread/list I don't know who has access to PM messages but I have no problem copying or opening them up for full disclosure. My take on this is he was pushing for the extra $10 on the book, after my offer of $100. I thought that was fair based on his asking price. After looking at some past sales and some other threads I fell asleep. When I woke up I was like f it what's $10 this is something on my list of wants and if it's not a newsstand copy it's still a pretty good deal. I did edit my I'll take it post after the fact to include the shipping included part. If a seller doesn't want to sell something virtually or real world they can say it's not for sale any longer. Not I think this or may that.

It could have been handled better but I'd say no to this PL nomination.

That was not the intent.

Skypinkblu,

timeout

:blahblah: I dare you to put me on the HOS! :blahblah: I'm on the HOS. :blahblah: Try and stop me from buying or selling. :blahblah: I still sell and buy so I think your HOS list is dumb...and you guys too. :blahblah:

Tried to make amends... :eyeroll:

i did try to make amends with that buyer you can ask him. I thumbed my nose at the lynch mob after the gang like mentality to publicly shame me

Im not asking to take me off the HOS. keep it diluted.

I still sell. I still buy. the HOS Scarlet Letter has little to no effect

Not trying to incite more fighting with anyone.

i did try to make amends with that buyer you can ask him. I thumbed my nose at the lynch mob after the gang like mentality to publicly shame me

You've said that many times. All I know is that your "sales threads" just look like akhoiw.gif whenever you've had them. (shrug)

You've said that many times. All I know is that your "sales threads" just look like akhoiw.gif whenever you've had them. (shrug)

whatever you say :cloud9:

you are the first to quickly jump back into "mob" mode when no one is provoking you.

Sha thanks for your input as always :foryou: but as an overzealous newb I have a serious question for the vets working so hard to keep the HoS "their way". What is the difference? I mean this with all due respect. Lets say we clean out the HoS so that only Alleybat and the big time cheats (btw we should define this, what is and is not considered egregious enough to qualify for the HoS since there is obviously some confusion on this matter) remain? Then what? Almost all of the HoS members have left already or been banned for other actions. The HoS nor the PL ban people from coming to this site and participating, including buying and selling. Basically at best the HoS and PL are a scarlet letter which may dissuade some boardies from buying from those people, and then even then we see that cool books still rule the day.

To me the PL is the time out corner, and as long as you stand in it for the time period (till you've made amends) you immediately come off and since most people don't even bother to check the PL let alone can successfully google for past history, for the most part that part of the persons past disappears (save for the couple dozen board members with great memory) The purpose of the HoS (to me) is similar to being committed to an insane asylum. You are their for the duration of your life until you prove to the board of doctors (in this case 50% of voting boardies) that you have changed your ways and fit into society again. I'm curious for those who only want the most egregious of the egregious to be on the list, what they view the purpose's of both lists to be and what goal they want to achieve.

Actually, wouldn't this waive the 72 hour waiting period? hm Seller admits he's not going to honor a sale that occurred in an open sales thread?

He posted in this thread that he would take it at your price. (shrug)

Look again at the pm I said it was too low at the asking price and was holding on to it

And he still goes for it

Like I said that could be considered strike worthy since I didn't take it off the boards before I posted it somewhere else. That's my bad I told him no at that price and he still insists on going for it. I realize I was giving the book away at that price that's why I didn't take any of his offers when he PMED me.

Is the price difference between $110 (your listed board price) & the price you'll get on Ebay worth never selling on here again?

I think you need to ask yourself that question. :foryou:

If you really want to put me on the probation list or hos for not taking a book down after I told him on than by all means do it

When you tell somebody no it should be enough. All I'm guilty of is telling him no and not taking the book down right after then looking at Colombia comics eBay and selling what he had it listed for and how many offers he was getting

So I listed my copy. Had I taken the book down I'm sure he would still say I sold it to him in that pm because I said no and he still said he would take it at $110 he knew I said no I wanted to keep it and he still went for it. Do what you have to do. Nothing else I can say

There's a lot of open sales threads out there Justin. I mean a LOT. :whistle:

xxx ooo

Rupp

So what do you suggest?

Check the time stamp of the seller's PM telling the purchaser "no" based on the :takeit: placed in the thread. ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

The issue to me if you read the PM is he never said no. I consider that a bartering method or tool.

This was in response to my $100 offer.

Already had someone offer that. It might be priced low at $110

Think I'm just going to hold on to it

Thanks tho

Where does he say no, or it's not for sale? So to me I gave in and took it for the price he was asking. If you read the prior PM he was used similar wording about maybe keeping it until he took pictures, yet it stayed up for sale and he obviously received an offer for $100 which he refers to in the PM above.

How would that have stopped anyone else from buying it? I believe the wording was also the seller was thinking of holding onto it.

No idea. Just going by the sellers wording of "no".

Is your Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 still available for $600 here?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4535681&fpart=1

That thread is open, with no notification that it's closed... if so :takeit:;)

That's what I mean by "a LOT of open threads".

:foryou:

xxx ooo

Rupp

Which is what I meant when I said what are you suggesting. There is an expiry date in forum sales.

The issue to me if you read the PM is he never said no. I consider that a bartering method or tool.

This was in response to my $100 offer.

Already had someone offer that. It might be priced low at $110

Think I'm just going to hold on to it

Thanks tho

Where does he say no, or it's not for sale? So to me I gave in and took it for the price he was asking. If you read the prior PM he was used similar wording about maybe keeping it until he took pictures, yet it stayed up for sale and he obviously received an offer for $100 which he refers to in the PM above.

No, he never said "THE BOOK IS NO LONGER FOR SALE."

He was wishy washy with I think, probably, :blahblah:

Pure negotiating tactics for you to purchase at full price, which you did.

He should honor the sale in the thread.

It's obviously still for sale if he put it up on ebay.

Communication breakdown - very common around here.

While this isn't "no", if the response was "Think I'm just going to hold on to it Thanks tho"; I would take that as not for sale anymore and just move on. But the way I interpret it, you interpret it, and the seller interpret it could all be different. It's an unfortunate incident but I don't know if it's probation worthy. I would just block the guy and move on myself but that's up to you (thumbs u

you are the first to quickly jump back into "mob" mode when no one is provoking you.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

Mob mentality on display that this is their forum. hm

Forgive me, but I don't think I understand the premise of the HOS as well as I thought I did.

The PL is for specific transaction(s) that can be remedied by the offending party. The HOS is for a consistent pattern of egregious behavior.

But what constitutes egregious? Several veteran members consistently use the phrase "worst of the worst". But that's equally vague.

In this discussion, "worst of the worst" is defined as stealing and threats of physical violence. But aren't those banning offenses? So if the behavior that qualifies a member for the HOS is the same as that which would get them banned, doesn't that make the HOS nomination a bit pointless?

My understanding is that, in practical terms, the HOS nomination really doesn't do anything to the offending party. They are neither restricted being a member, posting or even conducting sales. As far a I can tell, the HOS simply serves as a cautionary tool for those who choose to avail themselves of it (and many don't).

When I see members who seem eager to nominate offenders to the HOS and veterans who consistently take exception to these nominations as "not being serious enough" and then I reflect on the actual consequences of the HOS (or lack thereof) I have to wonder if both sides perhaps have an exaggerated view of the seriousness of the HOS.

I have read several comments from members hypothesizing about a punishment in between the PL and HOS. This assumes that the HOS is the most serious punishment the community can hand out.

But again, if the qualifying offenses for the HOS are also merit banning, doesn't that make banning by the administration the most serious punishment? Could the HOS be the "in-between" punishment everyone's been seeking?

Some have suggested that as long as a person is willing to "make it right" they don't qualify for the HOS. But Beerbohn, after months of stalling, finally shipped $3000 worth of pulps. Does that mean he gets to come off? Even though his banned?

I'm not trying to be snarky or start an argument. I genuinely asking. I'm relatively new here and I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the community originally intended when they created the HOS.