• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Appreciation - Cover & Story Favorites
4 4

242 posts in this topic

Man we are really tough on Warren around here. So I thought we would play nice for a little bit and give everyone the opportunity to post some of thier favorites, nicest or whatever they want...regarding WARREN.

I will start this with first off one of my favorite artists for his use of vibrant colors: Richard Corben, and on top of that my favorite cover that he did for Warren.

Man I love this one... cloud9.gif

eerie86front969dp.jpg

-bounty

Edited by bounty_coder

Out of all the work that Frazetta did for Warren, I think that this cover takes the cake for me. Very industrial, grimy and has a real "horror mood" to it. I feel that this is the most underated early Creepy issue. Simply love it. C'mon folks. Where's your favorite Warren's? I said favorites meaning dont just post stuff to post it, but tell us why you like it? That's what makes it fun! Now let's see em! sumo.gif

creepy628yk.jpg

That Eerie 7 cover is one of the best ever. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my favorite Vampirella cover (one of Enrich's finest). Covers like this one helped to spark my interest in collecting Vampirella comics and original artwork: cloud9.gif

028.jpg

Nice covers guys! That Eerie 7 really is sweet October. Dele... I'll have to start a thread for Top 10 Vampi Cleave covers! I think that I can get an initial round of books together for the pool... cloud9.gif

How about this fine peice of.........art

You got Frazetta bringing a perfect balance to this cover with symmetry as well as colors...he is a genius. This also containted the first ever published peice of art by Berni Wrightson as a fan page sketch. It was low distribution to boot! (As documented by Overstreet.)

creepy911ea.jpg

-bounty

I stopped by Chicago Comics after class today and I picked up a few nice things. I had one of the employees digging throught the basement for Warren mags and I ended up with this Frazetta beauty for $15. grin.gifgrin.gif

Image Hosted by imagehosting.us

I picked up a HOM 209 (9.0), TTA 70 (8.0) and a Tec 395 (7.5) today as well. Those are posted in the BA horror thread and the general comics "have a cigar" thread.

I passed on a F/VF copy of Creepy 1 at Chicago Comics. Nice FC but there was BC spine scuffing and top edge stress that brought it down. They were asking $50, but I think I could have gotten it for $40. You think I should have snagged it? I could always go back, but I am running low on funds...

Nah! Surprisingly, there is no lack of availability for Creepy 1, I see it all the time & usually dealers will come down on that one quite a bit for some reason. Guess because they are all over the place? confused-smiley-013.gif

I picked up a HOM 209 (9.0), TTA 70 (8.0) and a Tec 395 (7.5) today as well. Those are posted in the BA horror thread and the general comics "have a cigar" thread.

I passed on a F/VF copy of Creepy 1 at Chicago Comics. Nice FC but there was BC spine scuffing and top edge stress that brought it down. They were asking $50, but I think I could have gotten it for $40. You think I should have snagged it? I could always go back, but I am running low on funds...

I know that I got a Creepy #1 for ya man gossip.gif I wouldnt get too bogged down with Back cover scuffing, it is quite common on the early Warren books that had non-white backcovers. I've seen CGC 9.4's with them as they are almost expected of the grade since that is how many of them arrived (to a certain extent) for sale.

-bounty

At the risk of getting flamed since these are not comics, (but they are Warrens) here are some books that I rarely see come around. I picked these up years ago on the cheap, I think about $14 each and I just love 'em to death! cloud9.gif

826196-FMConventionBook74.jpg

826196-FMConventionBook74.jpg.16d27cfddb670c5ed1eee11e65092307.jpg

Nice, Jay! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I would have loved to have been there buying up all the Captain Company [#@$%!!!] & original art, plus I bet Seuling had some kick butt material at this con!

Edited by precodekeith

Oh snap Jay...those are sweet! Never really saw those before!

Man I see very little spine stress and scuffing on that black issue (maybe tough to see from the scan confused-smiley-013.gif )...I think your being anolie

Very sweet books and story!

-bounty

Didn't I just say they rarely come around? makepoint.gif

Only kidding Bounty, but the scan does look MUCH better than in hand!

The spine stresses are at least 1/2" with the one towards the middle 3/4"

and the scuffing is right down to the white of the paper!

PS: These books were only available at the NYC conventions. I would like to find print run info on these 2 books. (scarce/rare?) confused-smiley-013.gif

Edited by Jayman