• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

First issue with the new title IIRC -

CrackWestern63_zpsbe705099.jpg

Nice one. I just checked this out on GCD. Crandall, Sultan, Anderson and Gustavson art.

I'll definitely be picking up a few from this series. I hope the stories don't stink.

Such a striking cover that I couldn't resist this one. And if they ever make a Lone Ranger movie, just watch this baby soar in value! :D

RAD672972014326_13270_zps28d530fa.jpg

Congrats, though I wouldn't hold my breath on another Lone Ranger movie. I really like these earlier issues with the Gollub covers and Indian portrait backs.

I was the under bidder on this one :( .

Such a striking cover that I couldn't resist this one. And if they ever make a Lone Ranger movie, just watch this baby soar in value! :D

RAD672972014326_13270_zps28d530fa.jpg

Congrats, though I wouldn't hold my breath on another Lone Ranger movie. I really like these earlier issues with the Gollub covers and Indian portrait backs.

I was the under bidder on this one :( .

I was just kiddin' about the movie. I was actually looking forward to it but everyone I know who saw it hated it, so I still haven't watched it.

Great book, Scrooge! Why is Apache Kid your favorite?

Apache Kid has the traditional dual identity Apache Kid / Aloysius Kare seen in many western character of the time (think Straight Arrow / Steve Adams, etc) and like Straight Arrow has the ability to navigate different ethnicity thanks to his dual cultural upbringing which makes him more interesting and opens up a sub-genre of stories. Plus, Werner Roth was responsible for the bulk of the Apache Kid stories and I like his comic-booking style, though I might slightly prefer him on Lorna.

Here's the 8 -

ApacheKid8_zpscc05cbc4.jpg

Here's another issue of Western, # 13.

In some of the early issues in the run, Jimmy Thompson stepped away from Robotman to work on Rodeo Rick. They help improve the contents of the series. Sherman always turns in a solid performance on the Wyoming Kid; there was a revolving door policy on Nighthawk until Ruben Moreira becomes somewhat regular on the feature, Rodeo Rick becomes unmemorable quickly into the series and Ed Smalle, Jr. reliably drew folks with Karl Malden noses in every story he did with the Cowboy Marshal, the last feature in the book but at least he, along with Sherman, provided continuity to the series.

WesternComics13_zps5da84698.jpg

Growing up on a cattle ranch, I'm always tempted to get into GA westerns, but knowing they have such a small collector audience makes me leery (I'm always conscious of my collections liquidity).

Is that a fair assessment of the collector environment for Westerns, or am I mistaken?

Go for it! Get those Westerns!

The upside of Westerns being considered "dead" is that they can still be had pretty cheaply. If you want to read some westerns for enjoyment, there is very little risk.

As far as liquidity, any comic book will sell...for the right price.

Recently picked up these "dead" comics...for an average of less than 10 bucks each. Not losing sleep worrying about recouping my investment.

146863.jpg.993395750f054373c65f71a45123871f.jpg

146864.jpg.78e7264fb5763ea7a987455ff90b3ad8.jpg

146865.jpg.18c5346068f1b6b34ac1921fdb7c65a2.jpg

More free range comics...

146866.jpg

Love that one!

Sometimes, the title says it all. Best of the West is a great package. ME had a very nice Western stable and combining them in one mag with brand new stories can't be beat. It's a shame more issues weren't published. Here's # 11 -

BestoftheWest11_zps7fa44180.jpg

Texas Kid was in Two Gun Western and his own title later. Arizona Kid had his own title also and made but a few appearances in Wild Western aside from there. Here's # 3. Cover and interior art by Russ Heath.

ArizonaKid3_zps6b4de732.jpg

Great books guys. Keep them coming.

Here are a couple with Maneely covers (Heath and Shores interiors on the #63).

I really like all the action on the #64 cover, especially the guy taking a header from the roof.

WesternOutlawsandSheriffs63_zps3a095412.jpg

WesternOutlawsandSheriffs64_zpsdb55dac0.jpg

(snip)

Sometimes, the title says it all. Best of the West is a great package. ME had a very nice Western stable and combining them in one mag with brand new stories can't be beat. It's a shame more issues weren't published. Here's # 11 -

BestoftheWest11_zps7fa44180.jpg

9110578790_ae9d0440d8_b.jpg

ME also published a variety of stories in Great Western and Bobby Benson. Frazetta drew some of those covers and Ayers' Ghost Rider reminds me of Graham Ingels work for EC.

Great books guys. Keep them coming.

That 63 is really nice :applause:

# 3 of Straight Arrow is more in demand than # 2 ... -

StraightArrow3_zpsef3db3ce.jpg

I like this cover. The bear has muscles on his muscles.

Reminds me of Single Series #20 (Tarzan cover).