• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

my opinion on the Heritage piece is that its a silly looking drawing, even by comics art standards. But its importance will certainly make the winner happy at ANY price. We will have to wait and see if he overpaid for the privilege.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that the cover of Hulk 181 wouldn't go for more than this. That doesn't mean this won't sell for > $1M though. My guess is it will be > $750K with a chance at $1M...it's significance should not be understated. If I had unlimited funds, the order of Wolverine OA I would want would be the IH181 cover, then probably this page. The cover of GSXM1 (and likely X-men 94) would probably be worth more, but that has as much to do with Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Storm as it does with Wolverine.

No one is denying that this is the first appearance of Wolverine and that it is significant. However, it is not the famous, iconic image that the Hulk #181 cover is, which is why the #181 cover is more significant, even if it is the second appearance of the character.

There are people, like myself, who know the OA landscape, know who the usual suspects are for this piece, and what they are likely to pay and not pay, both for the #180 page and the #181 cover should it surface. I'm not saying that $750K-$1mm is impossible, but it would be a total guess/leap of faith and certainly not based on any facts, logic, comps, or any other kind of information that dialed-in collectors have at their disposal.

"If I had unlimited funds" guesses square away with reality about as often as transitive property arguments like "well, if the ASM #328 cover sold for $657K, then this better piece should sell for more". Fact is, we've seen many pieces better than the ASM #328 cover sell for much less since that particular sale, and comic collectors playing Fantasy OA are rarely clued in about what actual collectors might pay as opposed to their conception of relative importance and valuation.

And, before anyone suggests it, no, Hugh Jackman won't be buying the piece. It's always one of the usual suspects - people in the hobby forget that it takes a special kind of lifelong clinical psychosis to rationalize spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Herb Trimpe Wolverine page; having a lot of money is simply not enough to get outsiders to pull the trigger. :sumo:

Quote:

" people in the hobby forget that it takes a special kind of lifelong clinical psychosis to rationalize spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Herb Trimpe Wolverine page"

If this is true I guess we should ponder the POS of aquiring a Boardie-Shrink ... hm

my opinion on the Heritage piece is that its a silly looking drawing, even by comics art standards. But its importance will certainly make the winner happy at ANY price. We will have to wait and see if he overpaid for the privilege.

Quote:

" its a silly looking drawing"

= Sacrilege :sumo:

]...

Quote:

" people in the hobby forget that it takes a special kind of lifelong clinical psychosis to rationalize spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Herb Trimpe Wolverine page"

If this is true I guess we should ponder the POS of aquiring a Boardie-Shrink ... hm

you think that's something? How about a 300k + bartab for an evening? Well, considering the guy who spent it was likely a 25 yr old ponzi schemer that was busted... well, those wall street guys have to put their money somewhere. And that, my friends, is what I mean by deep pockets... pocket change to some of today's hedge funds and traders.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/fx-trader-spends-323483-liverpool-night-club

Quote:

" its a silly looking drawing"

= Sacrilege :sumo:

It's true though.

yep the very first true app of Wolverine

That tiny little cameo? It's nothing, not even worth mentioning. It isn't like you can really tell it's Wolverine, or he says his name, or interacts with the characters...

:whistle:

This is Cameo

162948683_aa7f565035.jpg

Anyway the day i will own a 181 maybe i will think different

:gossip: I was being facetious...

;)

-slym

oh snap at 227k already. 5m here we come!

You didn't answer my question, perv.

:sumo:

Your last question was re the meme, which was answered. Which question are you referring to, Sonny Boy? :busy:

Your last question was re the meme, which was answered. Which question are you referring to, Sonny Boy? :busy:

What was the Spidey #328 at with 3 weeks to go?

Cuz the whole "you don't know the whole story" "well, what's the whole story?" "I can't tell you" business is a little lame.

;)

Cuz the whole "you don't know the whole story" "well, what's the whplel story?" "I can't tell you" business is a little lame.

;)

Not sure it matters where the ASM #328 was with 3 weeks to go, but I recall that it didn't explode until the live session, so it was likely somewhere in the $100Ks at the end of the Internet bidding session.

However, the McSpidey #1 was higher than the ASM #328 going into the live session, but closed much lower than the #328 despite being by most accounts the more iconic and better cover (again, there were extenuating circumstances surrounding both which help explain why this occurred). Similarly, the ASM #121 cover in a later auction was in the $200Ks going into the live session and only got 2 more bids (mine and the winning bid), finishing at $286.8K, so it would appear that prices will end up wherever they are likely to end up, regardless of when the bids are placed. Linear extrapolation of pre-live session bidding is not a statistically significant predictor of the final price. (shrug)

Cuz the whole "you don't know the whole story" "well, what's the whplel story?" "I can't tell you" business is a little lame.

;)

Not sure it matters where the ASM #328 was with 3 weeks to go, but I recall that it didn't explode until the live session, so it was likely somewhere in the $100Ks at the end of the Internet bidding session.

However, the McSpidey #1 was higher than the ASM #328 going into the live session, but closed much lower than the #328 despite being by most accounts the more iconic and better cover (again, there were extenuating circumstances surrounding both which help explain why this occurred). Similarly, the ASM #121 cover in a later auction was in the $200Ks going into the live session and only got 2 more bids (mine and the winning bid), finishing at $286.8K, so it would appear that prices will end up wherever they are likely to end up, regardless of when the bids are placed. Linear extrapolation of pre-live session bidding is not a statistically significant predictor of the final price. (shrug)

:popcorn:

Cuz the whole "you don't know the whole story" "well, what's the whole story?" "I can't tell you" business is a little lame.

;)

I don't think its any big secret. I can't recall the exact history, but I can tell you for a fact that the 600K+ blew everyone's mind. As far as I can recall it was basically trending to an end price of say 200k and then the last day was clinically insane

;)

I don't think its any big secret. I can't recall the exact history, but I can tell you for a fact that the 600K+ blew everyone's mind. As far as I can recall it was basically trending to an end price of say 200k and then the last day was clinically insane

One of the least understood aspects of auctions is the runup. You can learn a lot by watching how things trend, vs. what they end up at. Over time, patterns emerge.

I wish I had gone to the last auction in Beverly Hills. There was no reason not to, except laziness. ;)

If you're suggesting that the runup on the 328 is somehow indicative of the runup the 180 page will experience, I think its a stretch to be honest.

While the Wolverine 180pages is getting all the hype look at this impressive mix of OA in the rest of the auction

• Ditko Spidey page
  • Kirby Thor 164 cover (which looks so much better in the OA than in the colored page!)
  • Waterson Calvin & Hobbes strip
  • Miller DKR page
  • Cockrum/McLoud XMen 94 page
  • Don Rosa complete story
  • Kirby Hulk 5 Page 1 splash
  • Buscema Avengers 81 Page 1 splash with the whole team
  • Kirby Avengers 2 page
  • Eisner 7 page story with an AMAZING Page 1 title splash
  • TWO Frazetta pages (A title page from Personal love, and from Thun'da #1)
  • Powell/Wood page from Daredevil 9
  • Barks Uncle Scrooge page
  • Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday strip (amazing!)
  • Wally Wood story from Mad
  • Kirby page from Avengers 6 (Cap vs Zemo)
  • Herriman Krazy Kat piece
  • Kirby 1st page title splash from Strange Tales 103
  • Kirby Black Panther cover
  • Winsor McCay Nemo strip
  • Jack Davis EC Horror story complete
  • Al Feldstein EC Horror story complete
  • A very well known Larson Far Side strip
  • A great Miller/Jansen Daredevil page (very noir!)
  • A 4 page Jamie Hernandez story from Locas, and many other pages
  • A Sunday Peanuts strip by Schultz
  • Heck/Woods on Avengers 20 (great Quicksilver racing Hawkeye's arrow panel)
  • Kirby/Ayers Strange Tales title splash page
  • Byrne Days of Futures Past illustration splash
  • An amazing Dave Stevens nude painting
  • A Murphy Anderson Strange Adventures cover (with dinosaurs!)
  • A GAWD DANG MOEBIUS PAGE
  • More Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow pages than you can shake a stick at
  • An amazingly designed Chris Ware page
  • A McKean Arkhym Asylum 2 pager
  • Bissette's Swamp Thing cover...
  • Multiple Robert Crumb pages
  • A Miller Sin City page
  • An Alex Ross Batman cover
  • Multiple Clowes 8 Ball pages
  • Infantino's Mystery in Space #90 cover
  • A Gil Kane Green Lantern splash page

its just staggering the range of the offerings in the Auction...