• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

I was flipping through my newly acquired Death and Return of Superman Omnibus recently and I noticed a 2nd print cover for Man of Steel #25. I couldn't believe it, and I still don't, I could not find an actual comic image online for this.

1503294_694010226601_1594921863_n.jpg

The main reason I doubt its existence is due to the cover reproduction for Man of Steel #19 in the omnibus, showing the second print, but the title logo coloring is the same as the first print, this is not correct for the actual 2nd print.

1530323_694010291471_681525547_n.jpg

I see were there is a listing in the CGC census for Superman #82 2nd print. I have searched online for a cover and cannot find one. Does this really exists.. and does anyone have a picture?

this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-1986-Series-82-2ND-PRINT-Near-Mint-Comics-Book-/281237839994?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item417b14e07a

Nice CGC example! I saw it listed in the census but I still wondered about it, I was always under the impression that there were no 2nd printings for the Reign issues. There have also been a few mislabels by CGC from time to time, it happens, but now I know it is legit! (thumbs u

I am not sure if it counts or not since it is a reprint, kind of like the Superman #75 millennium edition. Would it count?

I would lean towards no since they are just reprints that were released years later, but that wouldn't stop me from picking them up. Congrats on the 9.8.

I was flipping through my newly acquired Death and Return of Superman Omnibus recently and I noticed a 2nd print cover for Man of Steel #25. I couldn't believe it, and I still don't, I could not find an actual comic image online for this.

1503294_694010226601_1594921863_n.jpg

I still cannot find an image of an actual copy for this online. ??? The closest I could find was a digital download on comixology.

I am not sure if it counts or not since it is a reprint, kind of like the Superman #75 millennium edition. Would it count?

I would lean towards no since they are just reprints that were released years later, but that wouldn't stop me from picking them up. Congrats on the 9.8.

Fair enough, to me it sort of seemed like the foreign editions. Cool to find but not part of the original run so I won't ask to have it included in the CGC set.

Concerning the multiple printings for the seven issues that make up the first chapter of the Death and Return of Superman, I have a pretty good idea of what printings are more difficult to find and which ones are fairly common, like the difficult MOS #19 and Action #684 3rd printings for example over the easy to find multiple printings for Superman #75.

Any ideas on what multiple printings concerning the Funeral chapters are more difficult to find?

Concerning the multiple printings for the seven issues that make up the first chapter of the Death and Return of Superman, I have a pretty good idea of what printings are more difficult to find and which ones are fairly common, like the difficult MOS #19 and Action #684 3rd printings for example over the easy to find multiple printings for Superman #75.

Any ideas on what multiple printings concerning the Funeral chapters are more difficult to find?

Adventures of Superman 499 3rd print

2nd Print ( I'm starting to believe it does not exist)

Action Comics 686 2nd print

I believe these are the most difficult to find in any condition. As far as I know, they were only available in the 2 packs.

Superman 77 3rd print

Man of Steel 20 2nd print

Adventures of Superman 498 4th

These can be found in 2 packs as well as the boxed funeral sets, but still difficult enough to find.

Fair enough, to me it sort of seemed like the foreign editions. Cool to find but not part of the original run so I won't ask to have it included in the CGC set.

Looks like it's on there now anyway. I think it's weird that this one is included but the 2nd printing is not.

Edited by WordSlinger

Maybe no one has requested the 2nd print to be put on there. I have not got one that I thought was worth grading so I haven't gone one yet.

I did just get the grades from my coupon submission of the MOS reprint and it got a 9.8 :) I also got an AC 683 1st print 9.8 and 2nd Print 9.6.

Maybe no one has requested the 2nd print to be put on there. I have not got one that I thought was worth grading so I haven't gone one yet.

I did just get the grades from my coupon submission of the MOS reprint and it got a 9.8 :) I also got an AC 683 1st print 9.8 and 2nd Print 9.6.

Nice, so you and I have the two 9.8 copies of the reprint then :). Congrats on the AC683, that is one I have not had much luck with.

I also saw where the MOS reprint is now listed in the set. I'm not sure I agree since it was not apart of the original run. Neat book still, who drew the cover?

I don't agree either. I am not sure who requested it be put on there. I would vote to take it off. I guess we could always ask for it to be removed.

I also saw where the MOS reprint is now listed in the set. I'm not sure I agree since it was not apart of the original run. Neat book still, who drew the cover?

I don't agree either. I am not sure who requested it be put on there. I would vote to take it off. I guess we could always ask for it to be removed.

It was requested here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7592106&fpart=6

There is also some debate going on about whether TBP should be included and if a new set just for 1st printings should be created.

As for the cover art, that is a good question. If I can find out I will post it here.

Edited by WordSlinger

It was requested here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7592106&fpart=6

There is also some debate going on about whether TBP should be included and if a new set just for 1st printings should be created.

As for the cover art, that is a good question. If I can find out I will post it here.

Thanks for the heads up. I will put in my 2c