• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Let me go to the mountain....

For UK editions of GA books is there a rule of thumb for pricing? Some percentage of Overstreet? Not talking about anything uber ('tec 27, Action 1, etc) just a book that if it was the original US version it would be a few hundred... but its a UK edition (from the same year)

Lots of confusion abounds here when talking about UK editions.

Do you mean

a) A US comic produced and priced (Pence) for the UK market

b) A UK comic produced and priced (Pence) for the UK market

These are two totally different things and lots of people are confused by the difference.

Just to clarify further, as far as GA comics are concerned, there are extremely few examples of A) as U.S. comics were not distributed in the U.K. until November 1959.

And as far as B) is concerned, the black and white reprints that were produced exclusively for the U.K. market (mainly by L. Miller and Alan Class) that contained GA material have a very small fanbase, even in the U.K. Some of the reprints have the same covers and interiors as their U.S. counterparts, but not many. Hard to provide a proper rule of pricing for these books due to their being relatively few of them and the limited demand.

The pence / cents conundrum is very much a Silver and Bronze Age thing.

Thanks Andy, I tried to write something similar but deleted it as it didnt make much sense, unless you knew what I was talking about.

You put it so much better than I could :shy:

Most pence copies are silver and up but there are a few ga examples out there

Well I guess it's hard to beat around the bush without citing the book in question.

Ghostly Weird Stories (UK) #1 UK Edition (Arnold Book Co., 1954) which reprints Ghostly Weird Stories #122 (Star Publications) in black and white.

In terms that I was talking above, that is

b) A UK comic produced and priced (Pence, 1 Shilling ( pre decimal) for the UK market.

As Ghostly Weird Stories #122 is a key book and very desirable ( I have one in my sig line :cloud9:) I am sure that there will be some demand for it, but this is not like a typical Pence issue ( not a reprint) produced in the US at the same time as the Cents issue, this is a reprint in B&W for the UK on normally inferior paper and variable print quality.

All that said, its probably as rare if not rarer than its US counterpart and if you slabbed it, I bet it would be the only one.

I hope this helps, you can PM me if you need any more clarification

by comparison, I would hazard a guess that all UK pence GA issues would be considerably rarer today, than US counterparts... less supply for sure...but, coupled with that is significantly less demand...hence, prices remain sub US counterpart prices, in general....

I think Pence issues for GA books is the wrong term

Pence issues are produced in the US for the UK and are original issues.

I dont know of any GA books that are produced in the US for the UK market, that are original issues.

This book and others like it are just reprints and as such are just British comics, I would never say " thats a pence issue" its just a British comic or a British reprint.

should have clarified...I still lump SA in, and as you mentioned, those are pence covers produced at the same time as the US covers, with identical interiors (originals)...

GA, are predominantly BW reprints, I believe, correct?

should have clarified...I still lump SA in, and as you mentioned, those are pence covers produced at the same time as the US covers, with identical interiors (originals)...

(thumbs u

Almost entirely.

The Ghostly Weird and Hangman issues that have been mentioned are very scarce - I've never seen either of those books, and during the two decades of dealing that I did, not once did I see anything like them, even when the collection contained Miller and Class books, or Marvelman.

Almost entirely.

The Ghostly Weird and Hangman issues that have been mentioned are very scarce - I've never seen either of those books, and during the two decades of dealing that I did, not once did I see anything like them, even when the collection contained Miller and Class books, or Marvelman.

This is the first one I have seen also, the British Price guide doesnt list it either

Edited by Kevin.J

Almost entirely.

This is the first one I have seen also, the British Price guide doesnt list it either

shhhhh.png

Oops, I will go edit my post :foryou:

Laurel & Hardy :roflmao::cloud9:

Hey gator I'm looking for the original covers for takes of suspense 39 and justice league of america #1

what would be the best way to go about it?

and what would be a fair price to ask for the covers ?

truthfully, going the other way around is a lot more realistic.... there are way more coverless copies than covers out there...most folks that have covers, know they can find a coverless copy much easier than replacing the cover, and so they don't sell... if they do sell, expect to pay a big premium, since we are currently in such a cover centric driven phase of the hobby right now...

my guess is $300-500 for a front cover tos (depending on condition), and a little more for front and back cover... maybe $200-400 for the Jla cover

probably easier to find a copy that is incomplete but with covers, and marry with the coverless copy.... but even then, the sum of the parts is greater than the value of the whole...unless you are just buying to collect, then value shouldn't really matter... if buying to resell, probably a losing proposition...

I would sell the coverless copies (maybe to someone that has covers and will pay a bit more) and only buy complete copies....

thanks for answering!

Almost entirely.

Dang, I just saw the Ghostly Weird at Anaheim and I can't remember which dealer had it.

List your top 3 Schomburg Cap covers.

Terrific 5

Mmc46

Brick Bradford 6

hm: suspense 3, all select 2, startling 53

ok. But what about Cap Schomburgs as originally stated? :)

The terrific 5 I know you like over suspense 3 as all select 2 over the 1